Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 72449 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon [RECRUITING]
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2016, 12:26:30 am »

*likes moods for their aristic nature*

Did Sanctumea actually like shields as only armour, or was that pure happenstance? I guess someone is going to be weighted down by that a bit, compared to others' wooden shields.

Too bad there wasn't actually any discovering.

Fishing huts are fun, too. I wonder how long can that river feed the fort. So many crossroads, though ^^;;

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2016, 12:41:35 am »

Mea likes mica, nickel, amethyst, sheep horn, ramie paper, the color charcoal, shields, and words of The Trim Mirthful Flags.

Skilled Weaponsmith
Accomplished Armorsmith
Novice Metalsmith
Talented Metal Crafter

Using a workshop profile from Dabbling to Legendary goes: Dabbling, Novice, Adequate, Competent, Skilled, Proficient, Talented, Adept, Expert, Professional, Accomplished, Great, Master, High Master, Grand Master, and Legendary.

Also
Expert Miner (Rusty)
Dabbling Swordsdwarf.

It must be that Mayor Northwind being squad captain is teaching The Sneak Hand in swords. 
The uniform is set for individual choice, melee. 

Maybe I should force equip picks instead.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2016, 04:55:36 am »

Why is Zast removed from the sneak hand? She created the sneak hand. USURPERS!!!

Edit: Also, she prefers a pickaxe type of Axe
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:39:43 am by onciblu »
Ô_ quack

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2016, 06:08:54 am »

Yeah, was always going to be a shield then.

Picks make fine weapons, though I don't think you get demonstrations with them - are they sparring yet?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2016, 09:05:36 am »

1 Malachite, Mid-Summer

Mea: Zast, I have time now to re-organize the military.  Every squad is disbanded, and I have a soldier roster for reassignment.

Zast: You're not qualified for these decisions.

Mea: Perhaps, but my husband speciesunkn0wn is, and I am assigning him as the Militia Commander.

Zast: Why am I being removed from The Sneak Hand? 

Mea: Mayor Northwind is taking over that squad for The Council.

Zast: I created The Sneak Hand. USURPERS!!!

Mea: Please calm down Zast.  This is a re-organization.  You are still Captain of the Guard.

Zast: That's right, and as Captain of the Guard, I choose the first squad, The Sneak Hand!

Mea: No, The Sneak Hand is taken, and will be near the last of the squads to be outfitted.  Do you want to have last dibs on the latest masterwork armor?

Zast: No, I am the first.  I'll take the first squad.  It will be the Guards of Sneaktunnels!

Mea: The Tunnel Guards sound ok with you?

Zast: I am picking my weapon, a pick and an an axe. A pickaxe.

Mea: We only have designs for battle-axe.

[ooc]
The military was sort of a mess with cross training, and not enough weapons to arm everyone. 
And it bothered me that squads "a" thru "j" did not match the list in the (m)ilitary screen, so everything got disbanded but I kept the names.

Most of the soldiers have good Fighter skill, and I think Zast did not have a weapon skill yet, so I did an individual choice, melee and Zast chosen an axe. 

After that, the Capt of the Guard always make his/her own squad, so I made that first which corresponds to squad "a" but I wanted The Sneak Hand to be last in the list when using (s)quad menu.  I gave squad "a", The Tunnel Guards as name.

However, I did not have enough soldiers to spread, so I only have 9 squads and The Sneak Hand is squad "i".  I was going to create a civilian, no uniform squad for miners and wood cutters but left that for future overseers.

Then I needed to assign a militia commander, and speciesunkn0wn seems to be highest skilled and became squad "b", The Clean Spears.

squad "c", The Grunt Axe as I wanted more axedwarfs--these are Fighters given an axe to learn such as “Axe Guard Rith” and “Axe Guard Rimtar”.

squad "d", The Skinning Blades is an existing squad name, and sounds like swords to me.  But I could not Mayor Northwind here as I was thinking he should be part of The Sneak Hand.  We have plenty of swordsdwarfs.

squad "e", The Fenced Neutrals is also an existing name, and sounds like archers staying on the fence/walls.  Marksdwarfs it is.

squad "f", The Parched Anvils is another existing name, and sounds like hammers.

squad "g", The Ochre Banners is an existing name and I chose to be the spear squad because I usually create the spear squad before the mace squad.

squad "h",The Big Silvers is a new and random name, and seems fitting for a mace squad.

This leaves squad "i", The Sneak Hand reservered for named / Council.  Northwind with  the highest skill uses a swords.  I initially set everyone else (Snow, Sanctumea, and Arcvasti) to individual choice, melee.  Well, the three picked up swords are became novice.  When more iron picks are finally created, I did a specific assign weapons to Snow, and Sanctumea.  Arcvasti, I left alone and seems to work with a short sword ok.

I did not pay attention much on sparring spam, and off the top of my glances to read, I see spear and hammer sparring.
[/ooc]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2016, 10:54:34 am »

Heh. Overseers...Will of fortress or Outside Context Mindcontroller?

In the latter case, those who have gone oblivious are blessed.

"I was going to create a civilian, no uniform squad for miners and wood cutters but left that for future overseers."

Uh, what did you have in mind that wouldn't fail horribly?

Well at least someone's sparring.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2016, 11:52:03 am »

In one of my fortress, I have 10 wood cutters, so they all went to a "no uniform" squad initially. 

But I wanted all of them to be axedwarfs also, so eventually each got assigned specific axe as weapons.  Scheduled 8 to train each month; leaving 2 wood cutters available as needed.

I just thought that kind of passive axedwarfs roaming cavern 3 later on for those red or purple fungus tree will be better than peasant wood cutters.

Oh, I think I set all the Mechanics are wood cutters in Sneaktunnels.  It would be nice to have a weapon ready when putting in cage traps where monsters can freely enter the fortress.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2016, 11:56:41 am »

Hm, I'm pretty sure that would result in them dropping their axe (and provisions to rot, if they have any - this is part of why I never make backbags, only waterskins, other reasons being happy thoughts) and storing the axe for a different one whenever they go active or inactve. All clothes too, if no uniform is replace clothes.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2016, 01:00:40 pm »

If 8 are scheduled for training, they would be in their "no uniform" with the specified assigned weapon, so only 2 on labor duty will drop their work axe/pick and get their proper weapon is activated to move to station or attack.

I have not really noticed backpack and provisions rotting rampant.

I do have a hard time convincing soldiers to lose the waterskins and use newly forged metal flasks instead.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2016, 01:16:17 pm »

I have noticed the rotting with those labours in the military. They put their backbag in their room when going inactive, and then it rots there, as being owned nobody is going to store it in a food stockpile.

(Though, I have an experiment on list to try - are there differences in the rotting times of tallow and alcohol prepared meals versus meat and plant ones?)

Even they're adamantine flasks, they're probably going to weight about as much as their weapon ^^;;

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2016, 01:50:02 pm »

Rotten food will not create miasma on a Lighted room, so the solution is to expose the rooms/storage rooms to sunlight at least once.

Interesting.  Tallow has no shelf-life.  Tallow rations for all military!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 21, 2016, 12:55:57 am »

Ch 4: Magma Minecart Filling and Draining Station

There is a magma source, iron, and rooms for 3 z-levels below the magma source. 

The 3 extra z-level above this facility should be available too, but it is rare to not have these extra head room available.  In total, 7 z-levels for the entire facility.

The idea is simple, drop iron minecarts into the magma chute that is stopped by a grate.  Pump magma into the chute, so the minecarts are filled. 

To drain the excess magma fast, open hatch cover below the grate so magma drops further below leaving behind the magma-filled iron minecarts ready for hauling. 

There is also a great feat of engineering discovery called “portable drain” to handle the excess magma in a small space.

--
But first, I ordered to pumped out the old magma pit with a filled iron minecart below for retrieval. 

Then, dismantle the couple of iron screw pumps for reuse; and also construct floors over the exposed existing magma channels.

A temporary mason and mechanic workshop is created down here to use the orthoclase stones nearby.  Orthoclase doors, grate, hatch cover, blocks and mechanisms are ordered.

Spoiler: old magma facility (click to show/hide)

I ordered 1 wooden minecart, 16 iron minecarts, and 3 iron wheelbarrows just in case they are needed.

I set a stockpile Furniture:minecart, Metal:Iron only, but steel or nickel will do if available.

Move all 17 iron minecarts here.  Set a route using a wooden minecart to dump the iron minecarts to be filled.

So here’s the plan:
Level 1 has the route track stop dump, and iron minecart stockpile.
Level 2 is optional extra space, with door access to the chute.
Level 3 is the iron screw pump from magma source into chute.
Level 4 is the magma source, and required extra z-level of the chute with door access.
Level 5 is the grate with door access to the chute.
Level 6 is the hatch cover behind a wall, linked to a lever for draining and filling.
Level 7 is the portable drain.

11 Limestone

The outpost liaison Unib D., from Thikut Shigos has arrived.  Although Liaison Unib D. attended a meeting with Mayor Northwind, my presence and intentions is well known to them.  I am confident that everything to go smoothly as planned by The Council.

Spoiler: The Meeting (click to show/hide)

Now on to prosperity.  There is a trade depot on the east side of the the stream and this confused the merchants.   I order this extra depot dismantled after constructing a bridge to cross over the stream.

The entrance is full of traps before the real trade depot, so the merchants went to trade without their wagons.

I asked the haulers to bring in rotting clothes, crafts and a couple of prepared food pots to the trade depot.  Our broker, Mayor Northwind obtains some leather, wool, sheets, bars, anvils, toys and instruments in return.

26 Limestone

Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger, and our population rises to 113.
1. Olon Urnanguish, novice Marksdwarf, “Xbow Olon”
2. Urvad Helmsgroove, novice Marksdwarf “Xbow Urvad”
3. Kosoth Tunneldrims, peasant “Xbow Kosoth”
4. Rakust Lancecrewed, novice Marks “Xbow Rakust”
5. Avuz Taxlashed, competent Macedwarf, “Mace Avuz”
6. Kivish Lanceglazed, peasant “Hammer Kivish”
7. Domas Roomwaded, peasant “Sword Domas”
8. Sakzul Cloisteredsoard, peasant “Grower Sakzul”

16 Timber, Late Autumn

What a bunch of lazy arse peasants.  No one seems to want to dump the iron minecart sitting on the stockpile adjacent the route track stop dump.  What, just because it is 120 z-level below?

I finally coerced three useless peasant including a young adult of 12 years old, to remain in their own little burrow that consisted of the iron minecart stockpile.

Magma filling and draining was completed within a day.  Now it depends on the haulers to move these magma-filled iron minecarts up to the Rest Stop.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2016, 02:04:59 am »

That's a lot of minecarts for filling at once, I must admit. I suppose there are advantages, as long as dwarves get to the job (perhaps could have ridden a minecart down the stairs - no idea if falling inside a minecart result in fatal accidents. I'd hazard to guess yes, though).

Other than the extra z-17, z-21 also seems unnecessary, in two ways:
1: You could link Track Stop to lever instead of Hatch cover above track stop.
2: Wouldn't the magma fill minecarts when falling anyway (haven't tested, though)?

z-19 as well, as could just pump straight into minecart stack I think?

It's beautifully and non-densely laid out like this though, I must admit.

Did the merchant wagons leave when you deconstructed the depot?

And, hm, I guess there will be mandates for shields. Not so bad, since 43.05.

Scourge of Clouts....Sounds more like a human civ than goblin one.

As for the migrant hunters, are you going to use hunting to get them up to competent? I recall the area wasn't reanimating.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 21, 2016, 08:51:45 am »

This was an old design that I just used which I know functions ok. 

I played around testing this with a shallow world-gen of 30z max from surface to magma sea.

I had a more compact design that had a weird behavior on the QSP above the bottom-most minecart, so I did not risk messing up since the distance is 120z.

Of course I went for over kill of 16 magma-filled minecart.

With open paths to all exits, a nice splash of magma would be useful on certain situation.  Just like tactical nukes!

There was no issue with the merchants because I think they path straight to the first depot behind the traps of the hall.  Just no wagons.

The bridge had to be made before deconstruction of the 2nd anyway.

I have all hunting disabled.  The Fenced of Neutrality squad is set to Inactive, but they allowed to train on the archery range--so they use it. 

The manager orders, I left alone as there seems to be a constant order to make copper bolts.
This new manager order conditions is something I have not played much in the latest versions of DF. 

I just put orders as I need via old school manager j-m-q.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2016, 12:26:16 am »

Ch 5: Loose Ends

17 Timber, Late Autumn
I am exhausted dealing with peasant and coercing them to do menial yet important tasks such as hauling iron minecarts.

I feel cramped in Old Town, and I am finding solace to the idea of making The Forge larger.

Sixteen minecarts would serve 8 new magma forges, but at the same time, I am being more practical, so I will settle for 2 new magma forges, and maybe up to 6 magma smelters. 

At least the digging for a larger work area in The Forge begins.

1 Moonstone, Early Winter
Many more collapse in securing and flooring along the jagged pillars. 

This too has become an obsession, at least to an acceptable completion of work.

The engraved slabs are placed on the top level of the Jagged Pillars.  There will not be any jagged pillars after all the floors are constructed.  Kumil is just too eager of a novice miner when digging out the pillars before the floors above are done.

The edges of the Jagged Pillars define the boundary of Old Town from the first cavern.

8 Moonstone
There is heavy foot traffic in the stairs between the First Crossroad to Magma Filling Station.

I designate constructions and carving of stairs to widen the foot traffic.

A masterful wooden wheelbarrow disintegrated while hauling the magma-filled iron minecart.  Fortunately, no magma spilled.

16 Moonstone
Someone named Urist petitions to be a scholar, and I approved.  More Urists are welcome.  I think there is a Urist who is a Chemist.

24 Moonstone
Urvad Helmsgrooves, “Xbow Urvad” has been possessed and claims a Craftsdwarf workshop.

She grabs granite stone, orthoclase stone, 2 stacks of bones, a brass bar, and sheep wool.

I am only mildly interested because my focus switches between The Forge and the Jagged Pillars. 

Eventually Urvad creates Lisidtalin, “Clasheddrums”, a granite crown worth 21,000 ☼.

There’s an fascinating artwork about a dragon striking down a goblin 12 years ago.

Spoiler: A Granite Crown (click to show/hide)

1 Opal, 254 Mid-Winter

My first reign over the citizens of Sneaktunnels is nearing its end, and I ponder upon my legacy.  A modest increase to The Forge.  Some quality of life constructions of securing the Jagged Pillars.  A needed military re-organization is done, and there are weapons and armor.  I did not even have time to find better quarters for my family.  My dream of creating a great work of art has been achieved.  I have a new baby boy.  And not too much excitement. 

7 Opal, 254

I concluded too soon that my reign will come to a peaceful end.  Alas, an opponent comes seeking to either shame my rule, or add a note of glory.

The Forgotten Beast Sedastmasli, The Moist Seducer has come!
An enormous humanoid composed of green glass.
It has four long, curving horns, and it has a bloated body.
Beware its poisonous vapors!

The Situation Room is set on the dining hall, adjacent the hospital.

“XBow Limul“ volunteered to scout and observe the movements of Sedastmasli that I nicknamed, Sed.

Sed has two ways to approach Sneaktunnels:
First, either travel the jagged pillars in the south towards the west and up to the north bridge.   
Or Second, travel north of the eastern edge and swim in the lake to northwest to the north bridge.

My immediate sealing off the east passage from The Forge, and south passage from First Crossroad back in spring 254 proves a brilliant decision because Sneaktunnels is down to 2 defense points of entry from the first cavern.

If Sed is to come closer, it will be the north bridge of the first cavern which is always open as per the King’s rules.

I ordered the creation of 3 burrows:
“Inside Burrow” covers most of the inside areas nearest the surface.
The “Stairs to Magma” burrow includes all the stairs and paths from Old Town to Magma Filling Station.
And the “Crossroad-Surface” burrow covers the small hallway from First Crossroad to Surface Entrance.

XBow Limul reports that Sed paces back and forth on the eastern edge and dipping into the lake.  A single wide hallway that leads into New Fort has been sealed with a wall, but Sed seems unsure in committing to traverse south to west, or swim the lake to the northwest.

There is no need to activate the civilian alert just yet, so I worked on The Forge expansion.

27 Opal
Only 7 of 16 magma-filled iron minecarts are hauled in the stockpile near The Forge.
I proceed to set making 2 Magma Forges, and 1 Magma Smelter.

Step 1. Pause. Then Forbid all iron minecart from stock menu, under tools, expanded mode.

Step 2. Unforbid 3 available magma-filled iron minecarts from the nearby stockpile.

Step 3. Create Route, and Stop (without depart condition) for each Track Stop dump site, and Assign Minecart

Since there are other minecarts mid-haul, unforbid all other iron minecarts for hauling; and fobid the iron minecarts in the portable drain.

Spoiler: The Forge (click to show/hide)

27 Opal, 254 Mid-Winter

Sed commits to moving northwest from the eastern edge of the first cavern.  First he swam the lake, then starts climbing up the narrow and jagged cavern walls.

Sed is unaffected by the stone fall traps and cage traps at the end of the sealed passage east of The Forge.  Sed’s movements are tracked going up constructed stairs onto a quarry of magnetite.  I just realized that the magnetite source is from here, but I read it was somewhere in the northwest.

Sed eventually jumps down the lake and began swimming closer, so the civilian alerts are raised!

Sedastmasli (Sed), Forgotten Beast surface out of the cavern lake and is heading towards the always open north bridge.

Captain of the Guard Zast orders The Tunnel Guards, The Clean Spears and The Sneak Hands to stay as reserves in the situation room (meeting hall).

The Grunts Axe, The Ochre Banners, and The Big Silvers are to sortie to the left, and be ready for a flank maneuver.

The Fenced Neutrals are to position themselves on the center by the walls and take opportunity shots from range.

The Skinning Blades with Capt Reyn, and The Parched Anvils with Hammer Sarvesh (and Pikachu17) are to remain inside and engage only if Sed tries to enter Sneaktunnels.

Unfortunately, the squads have not done any group maneuver practice together, and all the planned squad deployment goes to the ways of zealot frenzy.

Remembering that Stettad is the deity of jewels and wealth.

Pikachu17 (Pika) of The Parched Anvils, The Zealot of Stettad, screams “Pika, Pika, Pikachu” “green glass are not jewels, die impersonator”, and strides towards Sed, alone.

Pika bashes twice with her (+bronze war hammer+) but the attacks glances away! 

The Zealot of Stettad bites Sed in the left lower arm, fracturing it and latching on.

Sed breaks free of the grip of the zealot’s upper front teeth, then charges and colliding.

Pika tumbles backwards, quickly stands up and throws punches and scratches with great effect.

Sed, The Moist Seducer breathes out a forgotten beast extract, and the The Zealot of Stettad is caught in a fine mist of something.

There does not seem to have an immediate effect because Pikachu17 and Sed continue their dance of bashes, punches, charging, and tumbling backwards.

--
Spear Sarvesh of the Ochre Banners runs after Poka and opens by stabbing with his -iron spear-, lodging itself in the wound.  Pulling the embedded spear scatters chips and chunks of green glass from Sed. 

Sarvesh repeatedly stabs until the -iron spear- lodges itself in upper body and is caught in a burst of Sed’s foul breath.

--
Sword Ilral of The Skinning Blades clumsily joins the fray with kicks, and strikes of her -steel short sword- that glances away.  As discipline kicks in, her next six slashes and stabs succeed in chipping and fracturing Sed is various areas of its body and limbs.

Ilral successfully blocks two breath attacks from Sed, but was caught on the third burst of The Moist Seducer’s forgotten beast extract just when her -steel short sword- lodges in the right lower arm wound.

--
Sword Domas of The Skinning Blades joins the battle a few moments later who stabs and slashes with her *iron short sword* and succeeds in fracturing the lower body, upper and lower left arm, and right foot.

--
Despite the new soldiers joining the battle, Sed continues its focus on Pikachu17 and charges the third time.  Pika jumps away at the last moment and bashes with the bronze war hammer that fractures the upper body.  More bashes follow, but most just glances away.

Pika bites Sed in the right hand and latches firmly.
Sed then gores Pika in the right foot and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Zealot of Stettad falls over and loses hold of the x(cave spider silk shoe)x and x(sheep wool sock)x.

Sed breaths a burst of foul breath and Pika is caught in it.

Pika punches away at Sed’s left hand, but the attack glances away!
Pikachu17, The Zealot of Stettad : How fragile we are… This does not scare me.

Pika continues to bash and scratch at Sed, and bleeding profusely.

--
Axe Guard Rimtar of The Grunts Axe joins the battle and had one successful hack with her -iron battle axe- on Sed’s right hand, fracturing it. 

--
Axe Guard Rith, Captain of The Grunts Axe joins the fray hacking with her -iron battle axe- denting the upper body, fracturing the upper leg. 

Rith is a blur of axe blade and punches, and in a mighty swing, she hacks Sed in the lower body that is mostly cut away from the rest of the torso!
Rith Fatedlanced, Axe Guard Rith, gains one notable kill: The Moist Seducer.

--
Pikachu17, The Zealot of Stettad : I’ve been injured badly. This leaves me so shaken.

Spoiler: Fight Cam (click to show/hide)

After Battle Report

A “Hospital Quarantine” burrow is created and added citizens: Pikachu17, Sarvesh, and Ilral for observations. 

The labors for CMD Uzol and Nurse Cerol are cleared to help ensure they focus on health care.

1 Obsidian

Oh no!  Spear Sarvesh has been found dead.  He loses hold of his iron spear and falls over after being completely paralyzed!

Pikachu17, in a hospital bed cancels Rest: Paralyzed.  Her diagnosis are: Faint, Paralyzed, Winded, Very Drowsy, Cannot breathe, Ability to stand lost, and Ability to grasp lost.

Likewise, Sword Ilral who is standing inside the hospital zone shows the same symptoms as Pikachu17.

CMD Uzol and Nurse Cerol are ordered to go to the hospital right away.

But it’s too late. 

Sword Ilral and Pikachu17 “Zealot of Stettad” have been found dead also.
Spoiler: Hospital Quarantine (click to show/hide)

Epilogue

Our spirits are dampened at the shocking lost after a clear victory against Sed.

As the new year come, we gather to honor our dead at the Jagged Pillars.

Cheers!  Here’s to honor and glory, the future, and a new leader.

Spoiler: A New Year (click to show/hide)

The End

Save File: Sneaktunnels, end of Santume’s turn, year 255.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31