Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Child Prodige.  (Read 1898 times)

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Child Prodige.
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:40:24 am »

A kid got a mood and is now a Master Woodworker... http://imgur.com/gallery/KzF5n
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Child Prodige.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 05:47:33 am »

That's normal.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:10:14 am »

It happens all the time actually. I consider it quite an annoying feature, because in the fortresses I played, all children had their strange mood before they even got a chance to learn anything else, thereby preventing moods for more interesting and useful skills to occur - like weapon/armorsmithing or such.
Instead I'd have tons of Master Wood-/Stone-/Bonecrafters (etc.) running around for whom I have very little use.

As far as I know moods occur for whatever the person is best at. Since children are not good at any skill yet, it will always be one of those "useless" crafting skills.
Also, as I recall, children are less likely to get into a mood as long as there are still adults around who have not been moody yet.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:21:38 am »

The mood strikes for whatever their highest moodable skill is.  There is no mood for soapmaking or growing, so a legendary grower with Adequate skill in armorsmithing will mood as an armorsmith, not a grower.  If the dwarf has no moodable skills, then they will mood as a random crafting skill.

It is pretty irritating with the children.  The solutions are DFHack and just not digging very much for many years, so that you only have a few moods before the children grow up.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:32:47 am »

I just wish it would rather pick a random profession instead of "-crafting"... In a longterm "children-instead-of-immigration" fortress one will eventually always end up with legendary crafters en mass, but no (chance for) fancy and useful artifacts like weapons, armor, or even furniture.

But yeah, it's nothing special, just annoying due to the lack of control or randomness/variation.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:49:37 am »

Might be useful to have one around, perhaps? It's best not to count too much on moods, they're nice when go well, but they're nothing to rely on.

That isn't a very impressive artefact, though. I mean, out of anything, tomato plants? Bah, put the kid to something more useful, like wood burning. Better get those ideas out of his head.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 12:50:24 pm »

Hm. If you burrowed your children into library with mechanics as scholars, could they get dabbling mechanic experience to mood for artifact mechanisms instead?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 12:55:59 pm »

If you only have metal toy axes, will a child mood weaponsmithing?

metal mini-forge -> mood metalsmithing?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 02:12:41 pm »

If you only have metal toy axes, will a child mood weaponsmithing?

metal mini-forge -> mood metalsmithing?
Your question is a bit confusing, but toys do not influence strange moods. So no.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:50:15 pm »

I just wish it would rather pick a random profession instead of "-crafting"... In a longterm "children-instead-of-immigration" fortress one will eventually always end up with legendary crafters en mass, but no (chance for) fancy and useful artifacts like weapons, armor, or even furniture.

But yeah, it's nothing special, just annoying due to the lack of control or randomness/variation.

Set hard pop cap at 19 and get them to all be adults before lifting it , then keep child ratio low? You'd have slow growth, but adults have higher mood likelyhood (I think) so you'd avoid the army of child trinket makers.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:18:02 am »

my bone carver made an artifact turkey bone shield... if that counts...
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:06:10 am »

Set hard pop cap at 19 and get them to all be adults before lifting it , then keep child ratio low? You'd have slow growth, but adults have higher mood likelyhood (I think) so you'd avoid the army of child trinket makers.

Nope.  If you have 19 adults, they will all mood in ~5 years.  Then you have 7 more years before the oldest kid grows to adulthood.  You will have a mood in that 7 years and it will strike the child(ren).

However.  A normal-sized fort will give you ~25 moods before you run out of underground tiles, as long as you don't hit the caverns or dig huge quarries.  This is the only non-DFHack way I know to manipulate moods so that your craftsdwarf shop doesn't become littered with artifact figurines.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 07:13:59 pm »

Wait so tiles dug influences moods?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 08:07:00 pm »

Next kid born in my fort is getting named Prodige.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2