Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Catch a Human Vampire  (Read 1698 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to Catch a Human Vampire
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:27:46 am »

Well, that was interesting.

After some mild to moderate FUN in my fort, it was brought to my attention that one of the children was found dead, drained of blood.

I checked for vacant bedroom, then checked the list of bedless dwarves, and found a few suspects, but all of them had had a drink lately. I then looked at the slab, and found....dunh dunh dunh!...this dwarf had been drained by a human vampire!

Check the lists, the human law-giver is still loitering around our fort, along with two bodyguards.

I checked the justice screen, and noticed that first witness who found the body was one of the bodyguards, followed by various dwarven civilians.

Then this happened  second time, and the same bodyguard found the corpse.

I wasn't sure I wanted to incite a diplomatic incident, just yet, so I simply watched the humans and waited, and before long the law-giver went home.

I suspect I'll see these again next year, and I yearn for vengeance.

Shall I assume that the human witness is the vampire?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Catch a Human Vampire
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:25:21 am »

If you want to cheat you can use Legends Mode info by looking up the names of each of the humans (I assume there weren't any human visitors apart from the diplomats). The one that doesn't exist is the vampire (as the fake name isn't connected).
Otherwise, it's a sound basic assumption that a witness accusing someone either tells the truth or is the vampire. If the accused can be ruled out, well... If the same "witness" accuses two different individuals for two different blood draining incidents, it's very likely the accuser is the perpetrator.
Also note that staffed taverns serve drinks to vampires as well, so they may actually drink.

You don't need to create an incident as long as it's an "accident", and a single incident shouldn't spark a war anyway.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 07:28:38 pm »

To catch a vampire, call for the vampire hunter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"There's a +Granite Throne+, take a seat, ye dead bugger."

It's probably safe to arrange for the human's mysterious disappearance, one sleazy little merchant wagon chaser is not likely to cause a big fuzz. Plus, murder justified by a heavy-handed assumption seems suitably dwarfy. Try to get the bodyguard, too. Just to be sure.
If you're prepared to take the risk, you could wait until his next visit and observe him closely all that time. Vampires are easier to catch in the act if you've got a suspect to follow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 07:34:38 pm »

send your militia.no substituites.

plus, youll get to see humies in armor riding horses.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:43:24 pm »

There's only One Option. Detail War Dogs to watch everywhere, and if they spot anything suspicious, eliminate the Troublemaker by any means necessary. With Extreme Prejudice.

Seriously, just abridge all of their files. They're not that historically important, after all.

^
                     ||
                 Literally.

If you really want to be sneaky about it ... isolate them in a corridor and accidentally release whatever deadly beasts or goblins you may have available.
This is AFTER you follow them with your camera; I was kidding with the war dogs. Just follow all three of them; if they separate, every dozen ticks or whatever check the other two, because you're going to follow whoever goes into your dormitory areas. Be these bedrooms or a large room or what have you.
It'll be real easy for me, actually, in my fort - I have a ton of wings filled with bedrooms that I can isolate with dwarves burrowed inside. Whichever wing has dwarves die in, I eliminate dwarves two at a time or so, moving them elsewhere. Or I track down the culprit. If I then station one militia dwarf in each room, this vampire will not be able to move without being located... possibilities, possibilities. Yay!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:15:53 pm »

Kill everyone who witnessed the event and also all of the accused.

Only way to be sure.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:56:18 pm »

<3 purge the unclean!

plus he'll never leave if you keep feeding him
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 02:28:23 pm »

I say just lock them all up for eternity.

Not entirely sure the best way to do it. Maybe put two airlock entrances into the mayor's office and when the lawgiver leaves lock them up? Or maybe change your current tavern to citizens only, and make a trap tavern somewhere that's open to visitors and really low quality so your own dwarves never go there.

Then uh... I don't know. Dig a tunnel and fill it with wooden training spear traps and try to lead the vampire into it so you can torture them in there whenever you're feeling bored?

Get them to bleed into a well and get rid of all alcohol supplies so your whole fort become vampires?

Build them an extravagant bedroom with only one bed and wait until the vampire tries to drain one of the other humans' blood then watch the other human hopefully attempt to fight the vampire and then let them go and celebrate them as a hero if they survive, and just drop the vampire down a sacrificial pit straight down into hell? Maybe drop the non vampire survivor down one anyway.

There's so many fun things to do with an immortal with no needs locked in captivity.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »

I say just lock them all up for eternity.

Not entirely sure the best way to do it. Maybe put two airlock entrances into the mayor's office and when the lawgiver leaves lock them up? Or maybe change your current tavern to citizens only, and make a trap tavern somewhere that's open to visitors and really low quality so your own dwarves never go there.

Then uh... I don't know. Dig a tunnel and fill it with wooden training spear traps and try to lead the vampire into it so you can torture them in there whenever you're feeling bored?

Get them to bleed into a well and get rid of all alcohol supplies so your whole fort become vampires?

Build them an extravagant bedroom with only one bed and wait until the vampire tries to drain one of the other humans' blood then watch the other human hopefully attempt to fight the vampire and then let them go and celebrate them as a hero if they survive, and just drop the vampire down a sacrificial pit straight down into hell? Maybe drop the non vampire survivor down one anyway.

There's so many fun things to do with an immortal with no needs locked in captivity.

I have successfully inserted the option for ultra-violence to be used to solve a problem.

My work here is done.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0