Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worried after a lack of decent meals for too long?  (Read 3710 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worried after a lack of decent meals for too long?
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »

What's the dwarf's standard of decent? Does he mean quality or preference? I have a lot of *dwarven syrup roast*. He prefers to consume kaniwa beer. He is under a great deal of stress now. The other source is 'entering an existing conflict', what does it mean? What can I do to him?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Worried after a lack of decent meals for too long?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:21:43 pm »

I'm curious how you managed to get a Dwarf stressed at all.  I haven't seen anything less than absolute bliss for the last few versions.  Tantrum spirals and similar outbursts just don't happen anymore.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 10:01:07 pm »

I'm curious how you managed to get a Dwarf stressed at all.  I haven't seen anything less than absolute bliss for the last few versions.  Tantrum spirals and similar outbursts just don't happen anymore.

I don't know. Maybe the 'conflicts' are the cancellation spam of seeing random wild birds? 'He doesn't handle stress well' but is personally so important now?

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 12:57:35 am »

The only time I ever see dwarves get stressed is when I leave corpses out too long near commonly used pathways.

Is he seeing a lot of "death?"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 01:27:04 am »

Meal quality doesn't mean anything to dorfs any more: it's only a trade value multiplier since the introduction of the needs system. "Decent meal" means to consume something that contains one of the favorite ingredients. However, dorfs are completely incompetent in locating meals containing their favorite ingredients, so in practice the system only works for booze (counted as a "decent meal" from a needs perspective) and stuff eaten raw, and you have to be lucky to have a chance to satisfy more than a small percentage of the dorfs since the vast majority of food items are completely impossible to acquire by any given fortress due to the large number of items and very limited trade supply.

Vengeful thoughts and entering an existing conflict usually means dorfs are harassed by flying pests like keas. They're probably the greatest threat to the mental stability of a fortress, currently.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 03:40:25 am »

Hatch covers on all stairs and statues on hallway corners are your friend.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 05:20:15 am »

Arguing is another way to get high stress, some dwarves love it and do it all the time while others really hate it. This means that if the dwarf spends a lot of time with someone constantly arguing s/he might get stress from it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 06:53:54 am »

Dwarves that are susceptible to stress are the only ones I've seen become actually stressed out, although I have one now who has the personality trait "is never the slightest bit cheerful about anything" who doesn't become happy.  She doesn't become sad either, just completely flat no matter what.

Easily-stressed dwarves can be handled one of two ways: coddling, or magma.  If you choose to coddle (and I don't blame you, that's how I handle mine) you need to remove as many stressors as possible and give the dwarf a task that produces high quantities of masterworks.  Weaving is fantastic for this, as it levels quickly and results in useful items, and each task for a legendary weaver takes only a few ticks.  Awesome furniture is also great, and giving him a lot of time to perform/admire performances in the tavern will produce lots of highly positive thoughts.  Remove stressors by taking the dwarf off refuse duty and kill those keas, or buzzards, or whatever nuisance bird you have that is introducing vengeful thoughts.

Notably, vengeful thoughts only occur when someone tries to engage with the birds, not just sees them.  In other words, taking your military off duty until the birds path off the map is a valid way to handle nuisance birds.  Only a few dwarves will try to engage with enemies when they are civilians.  Thief birds, like keas, can be handled efficiently with cage traps.  Others need marksdwarves to get rid of them.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 09:09:09 pm »

Notably, vengeful thoughts only occur when someone tries to engage with the birds, not just sees them.  In other words, taking your military off duty until the birds path off the map is a valid way to handle nuisance birds.  Only a few dwarves will try to engage with enemies when they are civilians.  Thief birds, like keas, can be handled efficiently with cage traps.  Others need marksdwarves to get rid of them.
The stressed one is not in military, he's the carpenter and had all hauling labors enabled. DT shows he had 50 bad thoughts about conflicts and 100+ about death. But after two weeks meditation in the temple, now he feels nothing about death.

I've set up magma forges and producing copper bolts. My embark has too many birds. I have to kill 2 or 3 waves before some mammals or a single barn owl shows up. Now the question is, does used bolts prevent tree growing? I don't want to waste the 'peace times' collecting and melting bolts, really.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 05:49:57 am »

Note that just because the thought is no longer displaying doesn't mean it's happiness impact is gone. I think stressers stay around for a year or two?

And nope :v

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:05:38 pm »

The stressed one is not in military, he's the carpenter and had all hauling labors enabled. DT shows he had 50 bad thoughts about conflicts and 100+ about death. But after two weeks meditation in the temple, now he feels nothing about death.

Vengeful thoughts transfer to the entire fort.  They are only generated when a dwarf tries to engage with something, but just one dwarf trying to fight a bird will generate vengeful thoughts in every single dwarf in the fort.

I run generation forts, though, and go at least 13 years before my first militia is formed, and nuisance birds don't generate vengeful thoughts until that happens.  Because only someone trying to fight generates them.  The fight does not actually have to happen, for instance if the bird moves out of range, so there may be no combat reports, but your entire fort is getting serious negative thoughts every time it occurs.  The negative thought vanishes very quickly, but the stress effect does not go away and it must be countered with positive thoughts of some kind.

The best long-term strategy is to kill the birds, and short-term you need to give your easily-stressed dwarves some positive thoughts to counter the negative ones.  Or you can treat them with magma.  That's always an option.