Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Far away river need farm  (Read 770 times)

Meddadog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Far away river need farm
« on: August 12, 2016, 08:28:36 pm »

I am new to the game, and teying my hand at it. So far just some rooms, workshops, storage, and beds/rooms. I have gathered plants but thats gotta run out, eventually, so im sure i need to farm, but i need water. The only water source is really far, a river. How do i route some water down closer to the fort?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Far away river need farm
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:38:40 pm »

You don't need water unless all you have is rock.  If you have soil of any kind (clay, loam and sand all count as soil) you can build farm plots directly on the soil.

You may see an error message that you need muddied rock.  Just build it anyway and ignore that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:07:42 am by Daris »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »

Also note that you can gather more plants. They'll grow again.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 05:46:45 am »

May grow again...

May not pop until next year.  Unless you dropped into a nice temperate/tropical zone you cant rely on year round food crops off the land.  That and its always a good idea to set up a secure farm.

As mentioned, can always build on soil, that warning is ancient.  If you are actually on rock then yes, there are ways to solve this, some more dwarfy (complex) than others.  You could set up a bucket chain since all you need is a mud dusting, set a 1 tile pond, set it not full.  As soon as a dwarf empties into that tile you can move the pond zone along 1 tile (with enough hauling dwarves you can leave the pond inplace and water will spread).  For more permenant dwarfy solutions that will result in less hassle next time you decide you need water (probably hospital/well) look into cutting a channel from the river to a reservoir.  It involves a lot of principles too lengthy to detail here, but look at the df wiki and find cisterns, water pressure and pump articles in particular and you should see how what you want can be achieved. (Misunderstanding at first and drowning a fort is optional, but traditional)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:48:28 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Meddadog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 07:54:30 am »

Thank you. I thought i had soul, but not 100% sure. Will have to check again. If not ill try and figure out this bucket chain

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 08:23:44 am »

Dig an aqueduct underground. You need to dig all the way over to ONE TILE BENEATH the river. Then, you need to dig 3 tiles over or so. This is where you WILL (NOT YET) channel the riverbed above. Now, you need an escape tunnel on this straightaway tunnel at the top: this is a tunnel that just has to have a door in the wall of the aqueduct. Doors block water if kept tightly closed. After using it, you will forbid it so no one dies. Then you need a floodgate connected to a lever. Dig your aqueduct DOWN first, THEN over to your fort. Dig it onto the level you want it; but remember, plan to reuse this as a well or something. I did this exact setup on my fort, works great. Mostly cause that stream is up an evil mountain and it has a rotting dust cloud that's guaranteed to kill anything. Eventually and bloodily. Now, once you have it dug into your farm, set up another floodgate there. You never know what might happen, and this gives you two chances to stop water flow before flooding everything. Remember, seal this farm off, btw, otherwise your entire fort (below it and on its level) will become farmable area.
Next, you need a drain. Across from the aqueduct, dig a channel into the opposite end of the farm; in the floor. Make an alcove for it to avoid fiddling with any plans you have for the area you've dug. Below this, you're going to have a drain. Now, for this drain, you need a staircase. Build your staircase down some 4 tiles away from this alcove and channel, but DONT put it in the way. So, you're going to dig a tunnel down here, straight from the channel to the edge of the map. You're going to have a right-angle in this though: from the channel, dig parallel to the closest map edge for 2-3 tiles, then dig your tunnel straight to it. All the way to the map edge. Smooth this tile, then "Carve Fortifications" in the "d"esignations menu. Now, put a floodgate in that section of tunnel parallel to the map edge, and attach it to a lever. This is so you can build a well later. Because you've got this tube with a drain ... build a short tunnel going away from the map edge on your drainpipe here, take it over to beneath your main meeting area. Channel the tile above it, build well. There, interior water source. When you build a well, add a grate shortly before the well AFTER EVERYTHING ELSE IS DONE. Otherwise dwarves may get stuck down there. Also, watch to be sure that your dwarves do not build the grate from the wrong side. They shouldn't, but they like to do dumb things. Now, for that down staircase you built, out of the way of this little bendy pipe and well assembly? Build a short tunnel to it from this staircase, and put a door there. Now it's a maintenance tunnel. After all work down there is done and all dwarves are out of the drain, forbid it. And "Keep Tightly Closed" at all times, or stray animals WILL drown themselves. Now you've got a well that will not get pressurized, and a muddied farm. Put a grate in that alcove (the channeled part in the farm that drains it), floor grate, to prevent accidental deaths from idiots in the wrong place at the wrong time.
HOWEVER: to use the well you have to close the upper floodgate, and then channel a hole before the farm: you need to have a well that can be used without flooding the farm again and again. So, dig down, then dig a tunnel over to the drain, on its level. Place a wall in the farm, so there's no hole in its wall, and you're done.
TL;DR: You thought DF was simple enough for a TL;DR!?!??

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 09:09:55 am »

Thank you. I thought i had soul, but not 100% sure. Will have to check again. If not ill try and figure out this bucket chain

"sand", "clay", "loam", "soil", and combinations thereof ("sandy-loam") all count as soil.

You don't need irrigation if you build the farms underground in a place where the floor is one or more of the above types.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 03:58:13 am »

DasTactic explains it quite good here
https://youtu.be/UWOrhfOe25c?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNBVkW6P9UDmNazRhYMZXFw.