Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good luck? Pendants, brackets, lucky charms, other misc things  (Read 821 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

So I've got some jewelry and other things that I more or less keep as things like "my lucky braclet" and such.
On a similar note my friend is helping me with making an amulet of Mara and sewing a patch/emblem onto my bag as almost like love charms I guess? She's been trying and failing to set me up with people and now that I'm going to college she's doing this because she can't help me anymore.

I've got an old bead necklace that I wear as a braclet that seems to help me take test (guess it calms me down or something) but it broke.

This sort of stuff, I want to hear about what kind of random things you guys have for a special reason even if the item itself isn't very special.

Another example for me, I have a blink-182 braclet that I wear about everywhere because their music really helped me through a rough time and it's also my sister's so it's also something to remember her even though it's not all that special in of itself.

What things do you all have?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Good luck? Pendants, brackets, lucky charms, other misc things
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:34:40 pm »

Got a whole pile of miscellaneous junk of similar nature. Bone dice, fossilized giant sloth tooth, bits of asphalt from near a fatal wreck, one of those plastic frame things people put around license plates, couple turquoise/bone bracelets, probably several dozen pieces of various shiny gewgaws and rocks. Most I'm not 100% sure where is at the moment (barring a ring I've been wearing almost incessantly for most of a decade now, a necklace with a latch that needs fixing, and a couple other things), but there's a bunch of the stuff. Small brass cat and owl you could pretty easily crack someone's skull with, three or four walking sticks I either picked up off the ground or uprooted/cut off. Haven't indulged too much the last few years, but most of my life I've been a sort of casual magpie.

Most of my special reasons boil down to "was shiny and no one stopped me" though. Some with memories or whatnot associated with them, but mostly just stuff you could distract a cat with. When it comes down to it I just kinda' unabashedly like small shiny things and odd trinkets.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:39:52 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »

I have a few items from doing that "ooo shiny" type stuff. Such as a relatively straight stick that I shaved the bark off of and has just been sitting in my room. No idea why but it's sorta neat.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:27:25 pm »

I dont have good luck charms, but I oddly enough am a believer in both a higher power and luck.

I do believe that people are a prisoner to their own tendencies, and that they have series of bad luck which gets compounded by flustering and others percieving andor judging said luck.

I am also notoriously blunt in manner and relatively brutish.  so i often make messes, spill, etc if i rush.  ive gotten better at not rushing, but enh.

So i guess i accept a mixture of beliefs, and along with my relative disconnect with human emotion and higher perception/intelligence I can take steps back to admire this.

but, ah  i do get attatched to things, and feel i work better with them.  like a favorite shirt or a favorite pen.  or a favorite sock
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:28:57 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 10:29:33 pm »

I have library cards from places I've lived in the past. I also have a piece of the wall of my high school from when they were doing construction in a classroom.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:52:54 pm »

Caring about luck is lots of the fun in life, I think. I keep half a dozen voodoo dolls in my car and will almost always react to someone saying a word that starts with the letter r that's a type of precipitation.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:00:31 pm »

I don't really believe in luck but it's fun to have little items for the chance that it's real

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 07:27:58 am »

I have zero belief in higher powers, 'luck as a force' or karma.

And yet I can't stop myself from accruing a pile of mementos, interesting or just shiny things.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:17 am »

yes basically

We have a small cabinet in the house with glass doors, displaying various shiny/cool rocks and crystals we've found and bought over the years. I also have/had a rock SOMEWHERE which could display either a c:, 'c' or a :c depending on which angle you held and viewed it at, and well, who am i to resist a rock like that? :v
That besides, i don't really believe in "modifiable luck". Luck, when i refer to it as that, is merely when improbable things happen (whether it be good or bad luck). The only things you can do to affect the probability (i.e. surviving a car crash) are things that will physically improve your odds somehow (i.e. wearing a seat belt). That being said, placebo is still in effect here, so if you believe you'll do better at something if you're wearing your lucky hat, you might actually do so. I don't rely on things like that though, because losing a lucky item sucks. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 08:54:53 am »

I just collect random things. I don't do it because I think they're lucky. I'm just a packrat and think "hmm, in ten years this tiny spring could be useful".
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 12:37:32 pm »

I've got the best lucky pendant.  If I die it lets the doctors know to call a number, which causes people to rush to me, pump my body full of anti-freeze, saw off my head and put me in a liquid nitrogen until I can be revived in the FAR FUTURE. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »

I just collect random things. I don't do it because I think they're lucky. I'm just a packrat and think "hmm, in ten years this tiny spring could be useful".
Im not the only one that collects springs?

I have a drawer in my old bedroom filled with springs from broken mechanical pencils and I have no idea why I collected them

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 04:14:09 pm »

I'm not really superstitious about it, in the sense that I feel like something bad will happen if I don't have it, but I have an old ring that I really hate to not have. If not on my finger, like when I'm in lab or operating machinery, then at least in my shirt pocket. It's a simple thing, made from a single piece of 16 gauge sterling silver wire. It doesn't have a gemstone or engraving or anything, but I keep it polished to a shine. It doesn't commemorate anything, or even have any special meaning, I just hate to be without it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:57:17 pm »

Maybe my lack of lucky charms is the reason I find life so difficult... hmmm.

That said, I do collect plenty of stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.