Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: +Mod Updater+  (Read 4229 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: +Mod Updater+?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 03:34:24 pm »

Very true.  An appearance tweaker for dwarves would also be a very cool thing.
Depends on what you want to tweak.  We already have this.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
  • It'd be nice if I'd stop getting distracted.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 03:44:04 pm »

Well I've ran into,  an interesting problem at least.   It processes all the creatures just fine, but with the DDD mod files it doesn't like the way the texts are encoded. 

UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x81 in position 3128: character maps to <undefined>

It worked just fine with the cthulhu and default old DF files though.  Hmm,  well it'll just be an error that occurs with certain mods till I can figure out an easy fix for it; nothing major really.  Perhaps manually changing the encoding of those files pre-patching.
Insert Witty Signature Here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 03:52:03 pm »

Well I've ran into,  an interesting problem at least.   It processes all the creatures just fine, but with the DDD mod files it doesn't like the way the texts are encoded. 

UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x81 in position 3128: character maps to <undefined>

It worked just fine with the cthulhu and default old DF files though.  Hmm,  well it'll just be an error that occurs with certain mods till I can figure out an easy fix for it; nothing major really.  Perhaps manually changing the encoding of those files pre-patching.
Raw files are supposed to be encoded with CP437, which is more or less equivalent to the "DOS" encoding in some text editors.  More likely, the files were edited in UTF-8 or similar.  They diverge above character 127 which is most obvious with accented letters.  For example, if you type â into a UTF-8-encoded document it inserts two bytes that a CP437 editor would interpret as ├ó

May or may not be the problem, just thought I'd let you know about the potential pitfall.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 03:56:02 pm »

Very true.  An appearance tweaker for dwarves would also be a very cool thing.
Depends on what you want to tweak.  We already have this.

That's not nearly as hardcore automagic as would be preferred.  I'd probably have a visual interface of some sort which completely rewrites the files being modified to user specifications based on the original inputs; while translating gaits and sizes into something a normal person can read and understand.  I do have some ideas in mind but not going to work on a thing like that till the updater is done, this is a pretty heavy project, and that one is an even heavier project. lol;  I am enjoying having something to actually work on though; although programming all day isn't something my girlfriend likes all that much.

Also thanks for the tip. :D  That is most certainly likely the problem.

Edit:  Back ontopic of the actual mod, creatures seem like they'll be a bit more tricky, but not as much if these things are not necessary:
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]

Everything else seems easy enough, I'll attach sweat, and the ability to spit below pus.  Movement gaits are going to be a bit more tricky to add in,  may separate them out into three main sets of gaits:

One set of gaits for swims_learned creatures, one for [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN] creatures which are most likely fish primarily, and extra line or so for flying creatures; not entirely sure how well this logic would translate; but I believe it should work-  maybe with the occasional land shark..
Of course I also could leave out gaits although I really do like gaits; they do not seem to be a necessary addition though, are they?
I mean, worst case scenario we have everything standing on two legs running around if gaits can go that far in terms of changing movement.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:40:09 pm by Teirdalin »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 04:44:14 pm »

If you don't add attack flags, the consequence is that the attack is very fast.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 04:45:23 pm »

Alright, those flags will be tossed into each attack then I suppose.   Better to have a standard attack speed that can be changed later than machine gun attacks I suppose.

Anyone have any witty one liners to changed terms?  Example:
When adding       
   Some additional materials.
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SWEAT:SWEAT_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TEARS:TEARS_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SPIT:SPIT_TEMPLATE]
   [SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SWEAT:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN:EXERTION]
   [SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TEARS:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:ALL:EXTREME_EMOTION]
   [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Spit]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:NEGATIVE_SOCIAL_RESPONSE]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:TORMENT]
      [CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
      [CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPIT:LIQUID_GLOB]
      [CDI:VERB:spit:spits:NA]
      [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
      [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
      [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
      [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]

displays in console: print("Spitting on crying elves.");

EditEdit:

Creatures are done I believe; next will be body I suppose;  that should be a piece of raspberry cake in comparison, then will be inorganics?  Or are inorganics already fine?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:47:41 pm by Teirdalin »

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 05:51:52 pm »

Hey Enemy, earlier you mentioned trees; what exactly has to be changed for trees to function properly?  I believe everything in the updater is functioning properly for it to work, just need to get tree updater implemented I believe then it'll be ready for testing.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 05:58:59 pm »

Hey Enemy, earlier you mentioned trees; what exactly has to be changed for trees to function properly?  I believe everything in the updater is functioning properly for it to work, just need to get tree updater implemented I believe then it'll be ready for testing.

I don't know. I don't have custom plants, so I just replaced them. You could compare the old files to the new ones though.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 06:24:09 pm »

I don't know. I don't have custom plants, so I just replaced them. You could compare the old files to the new ones though.

Looking at the tree data, it honestly looks like it'd be easier just to make a plant generator program than bothering with updating custom plants; and to use the plant_standard.
I suppose the program is functioning well enough for a first release perhaps.

EDIT:  Actually nope,  still having some issues.  Specifically throats and necks are a big issue.  Also I suppose I should actually add an ITEM updater too; although I think items may potentially be able to be transferred directly?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:31:43 pm by Teirdalin »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: +Mod Updater+
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 06:38:17 pm »

What's the problem with throats and necks? On items, most are the same I think. You'll probably want to remove the old instruments and add the attack flags to weapons though.
My mods and forum games.

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 06:48:40 pm »

What's the problem with throats and necks? On items, most are the same I think. You'll probably want to remove the old instruments and add the attack flags to weapons though.

Oh I see, was just not properly calculating how to add the necks to the creatures- I believe I got it now though, just upgrading humanoid to humanoid with necks I suppose, I wish they weren't all clumped together on the same line as that does complicate the way this program is currently running a bit..

Edit:  Found a way to more fluidly modify data, currently only being used on converting "BODY:HUMANOID" -->>  "BODY:HUMANOID_NECK"  though.  Sheesh I may actually rewrite all this code around this way actually at some point; it would save me soooo much clutter in the code.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:20:14 pm by Teirdalin »

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 11:37:55 pm »

So after tossing the Cthulhu mod through the converter I'm getting these errors while trying to run it with modern DF.

Anyone mind telling me, exactly which ones are preventing it from actually running?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The honeybee being geldable thing, is something I'm working on next.  Cannot quite understand what undefined local creature material set to default: MI_GO SINEW
  is wanting from me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:58:46 pm by Teirdalin »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 12:07:57 am »

I don't know why any of those errors would stop it from running, they're all fairly minor issues. I'm guessing the Mi-go issue is that their tissue layers aren't defined right.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:11:31 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 12:28:43 am »

I don't know why any of those errors would stop it from running, they're all fairly minor issues. I'm guessing the Mi-go issue is that their tissue layers aren't defined right.

I'm surprised how effective it's gotten, I mean earlier I was getting like a hundred+ errors.  Now it's just 3kb of minor issues.  Anywho I guess once I get it to auto-detect how to fix tissues it probably will be ready I imagine.  Although I guess this is a pretty specific issue.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 12:36:46 am »

The connection issues are due to changes in how body plans deal with necks now.  The migo one is probably from not defining the SINEW material, and then trying to use it in the tendons and ligaments.  Inexplicably, "standard materials" does not include sinew despite it being the same on pretty much every "standard materials" creature.
Just got back, updating:
Pages: 1 [2] 3