Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Of Kings And Men - Now in open Alpha/EA  (Read 5193 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of Kings And Men - Now in open Alpha/EA
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:08:04 pm »

A game formerly titled Melee: Battlegrounds, created by the devs of the Mount & Blade: Warband modification "cRPG".
For old discussion view the topic here.

Quote from: Official description
Persistent Medieval War

Of Kings And Men allows you to experience huge, player-driven battles like no other. Engage in massive combat with more than 200 players, capture territories, or practice your fighting skills in competitive matches with intuitive melee combat.

Of Kings And Men (OKAM) is a game created by the dev team behind the cRPG mod for Mount & Blade: Warband. It aims to recreate the same sort of RPG style character progression that made their mod so popular, with a similar directional combat system that made the parent game so popular, but with their own tweaks they could not achieve through modding alone. There are obvious parallels to be made with M&B's combat, but they have not simply copy-pasted it over. Combat in OKAM feels unique and has more depth than Mount & Blade's combat.

The 'grand strategy' portion of the game dubbed "Epic" (or Strategus for cRPG veterans) aims to create an interesting and dynamic setting for players to engage in a more persistent game world, where battles are not something fought between two teams on a server, but by factions created by players with their own goals. Think Eve Online mixed with Crusader Kings 2, where each king, lord, vassal, bandit, and trader is actually another player.

Spoiler: •Bullet points• (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dev roadmap (click to show/hide)

The game can now be purchased on Steam
Keep in mind that this is an Early Access title, and all warnings involving EA titles should apply just the same to this one.
As much as I enjoyed the mod these people made for Warband, their competence at developing a full-fledged game solo has yet to be proven. However, from what I have seen so far they are on the right track, but as always things can change further down the road for better or worse.
Quote from: EA Header
“At Early Access, the game contains the combat system and various game modes for it, as well as an early implementation of the war system; which will allow players to recruit armies, wage war against other kingdoms, and fight as a soldier or mercenary within those battles.”
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:44:57 pm by OzyTheSage »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Of Kings And Men
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 01:53:26 pm »

Sadly I missed the 2 hour stress test because I didn't have internet in yet. Did you/anyone try it? How was it?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:05:44 pm »

Looks more like a military pick.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »

The world persistence looks interesting. Very ambitious for a mod team.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:51:12 pm »

That Christian knight on the ladder looked like he was holding a large claw hammer backwards at first.
In the mod there were many weapons that had multiple heads on them, so you could use either the axe portion of a halberd or the blunt end, each having different penetration values on armor. I imagine some weapons will have this feature in the new game.

Sadly I missed the 2 hour stress test because I didn't have internet in yet.
There should be one coming up on Wednesday at 7PM GMT, or 2PM Eastern. Unless it goes on for hours I'm probably going to end up missing it.

Apparently they released a trailer which sort of teases the features that will be in Epic, which you can watch here. I wasn't expecting them to have this much to show about Epic when the base game isn't even close to finished yet.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:09:08 pm »

In the mod there were many weapons that had multiple heads on them, so you could use either the axe portion of a halberd or the blunt end, each having different penetration values on armor. I imagine some weapons will have this feature in the new game.

I won't be impressed unless I can murderstroke some nerds, preferably from horseback.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:10:44 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:35:10 pm »

You couldn't merderstroke people, but you could half-sword. There was no purpose though. Being able to swap to the murderstroke grip would be nice when fighting plate guys to get that blunt damage...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 09:44:45 am »

So basically that presistency map from Mount & blade mods

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:01:03 am »

Nope, not at all. Look up cRPG, stats, levels, skills, equipment, and gold are all tracked online with a browser-based guild campaign.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 12:06:14 pm »

Yeah, the main part of cRPG was character persistency, as well as reworked stats/items/leveling. The persistent maps within cRPG were just building further on top of that.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 12:28:56 pm »

I've never tried any of those, but think of M&B singleplayer overhead map except movement on the map isn't accelerated, battles don't take place immediately, and the lords on the map are actual players.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 06:35:30 pm »

So the question is, this or Bannerlord ? M&B is great and all, but its rather clear there won't be a persistent multiplayer campaign so on that basis alone this looks very promising indeed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:38:24 pm by Mookzen »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 07:29:28 pm »

Suppose it depends on if you prefer having a game that's both singleplayer and multiplayer and already has a large community ready to mod the hell out of it, or a lesser known title that's focused entirely on multiplayer. I will say the combat in OKAM is looking better than Warband's combat, but if you're fine with Warband's combat then M&B's probably the better bet right now. We'll have to wait and see if Bannerlord has a trick up its sleeve or if one of the games simply doesn't deliver.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 02:31:53 pm »

For anyone interested, Green Man Gaming has a 28 % off sale for the game at their site.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/of-kings-and-men/#b

Krewl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 02:37:34 pm »

Early Access being released on 25th of August.
Pages: [1] 2