Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Schlock Mercenary: Burn It All to Monatomic Ash  (Read 4302 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Schlock Mercenary: Burn It All to Monatomic Ash
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:48:25 pm »

Schlock Mercenary is a webcomic that's been around for some sixteen years. It's quite good, IMO. It's a sort of gritty-ish futuristic mercenary space webcomic. Also Schlock. Schlock is a voracious amorph that looks like a pile of poop. He's known as the "world-devourer," and for good reason.

So TALK, PEOPLE!

The latest strip should always be available here. Unlike OotS, SM updates every day, so I won't be announcing them unless they catch my eye. By which I mean when they look fricking awesome like they normally do.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:51:12 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:51:32 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Schlock Mercenary: Burn It All to Monatomic Ash
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:09:40 pm »

Ooh, this is a thing!
THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:19:43 pm »

*Necromancy* Uh I'd really like for this to be a thing!  I love this comic a LOT, it could maybe be my favorite...  Hard to say, comics are so different.
I'm pleasantly and barely surprised that you two are fans!  Let's hope there are more, here on bay12!

I suppose we don't need to link the latest strip, since Mr Howard is *legendarily* reliable...  16 years without being late, I think!?  And the calendar archive is well-made so it's easy to look up what people are discussing.

Though I'm not sure how much longer this will run...  It's been building up, slowly and steadily, for 16 years.  It's literally tackling post-immortality and "THOOOM any location through all defense" issues, not to mention the Pretentious Deity's (<3<3<3) war with Andromeda.

Anyway, current update...
I love that they call it Zeus Alpha.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:29:48 pm »

Schlock is quite good, though I have a backlog of it to go through
THOOOM

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:48:24 pm »

I have a lot of backlogs to go through.  This will be a fun one.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »

So, this strip might actually be a subtle landmark.  There has been considerable discussion in the past over the somewhat notable lack of homosexual characters - though romance isn't a huge part of Schlock Mercenary, people have noticed that it has been all hetero up to this point.

...Or xenosexual, heh.  Maybe that's one reason it was never an *issue*, for me, he does handle non-binary species in the xenobiology sense.

I really like how it's being introduced.  A VERY long-time minor character, pretty cool guy, along with a new character.  Along with, and this is worth noting, Schlock himself- serving as a seal of authenticity and approval.
I may be reading too much into it :P  But...  AFAIK this is the first in 16 years, so I think it's worth reading into at least a bit.

Though... uh... Uh oh.  I just realized that both of them are nonhuman, probably the same 4-armed species.  So this might just be another species trait, they might not have overt sexual identifiers or multiple genders.

Well... that's fine too.  Statistically it's not that weird that the first gay couple would be alien, and at least they're very humanoid.
But it specifically doesn't counter that long-running theory I saw that humans have excised homosexuality.

*hasn't read the official forum in years, and certainly isn't going to start now*
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 01:09:45 pm »

There's been what, four couples total in the comic? And that's counting Monk-Garcia, which I'm not sure if it should.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 01:09:57 pm »

Ooh, we actually have a thread for this? Huzzah!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »

Their both the same species. While the author does draw the Mercenary character in a masculine way and has been referred to as male, the newer character is drawn in a feminine way and has been referred to as female (as here: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-04-02 ), they could still be biologically something else.

The author does use romance as part of character development, especially since it's a long running comic.

Possibly the only implied non-heterosexual potential relationship would be Schlocks species method of reproduction since it wasn't mentioned whether opposite amorph genders (if they even have genders, in the conventional sense) can, well, do it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:21:16 pm by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 01:26:49 pm »

First off, thanks a lot for finding that reference!  Wow!

Having a superficially masculine female like that is almost even better to me, honestly.  Which I guess leaves the odd lack of homosexuality as a question...  One which I definitely give Howard the benefit of the doubt on.  I'm thinking "unfortunate past atrocity" rather than the author suspending realism out of discomfort.  Particularly given the non-standard pairings he's actively showing.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 08:24:31 pm »

Thread? Thread.
This comic is good.

I do find it kinda funny that this joke strip has... Pretty much come true. "These Nano-Meme-Bots I invented should make us all effectively immortal!" indeed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:08:36 am by Egan_BW »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 06:00:34 am »

I've finally gotten around to reading this.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

underkill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 01:12:53 am »

i think the last time i tried to power through schlock mercenary i ended up somewhere around 2009-10 before i got distracted by other things.

regardless, i think it may be up there in terms of "favorite webcomics" so far.
you call down the fire...

and i'll reap the whirlwind

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 04:21:50 am »

I love it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: [1] 2 3 4