Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Discussion on threadnomancy. Necroing old threads since 1936  (Read 7951 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on threadnomancy. Or necrothreading. Or whatever.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 09:49:42 pm »

Though, this topic doesn't really belong in DF Dwarf mode discussion.
On the other hand, when you post a message to a dead thread which does not contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way (e.g. "Me too!" or "Hey! Read this thread, it's awesome!"), then all you have accomplished is reanimating the thread like a zombie, just like what necromancers do to dead creatures. This act is never acceptable, and such posts should ideally be Reported as abusive behavior.
Of course, the person who wants to hit people for this would have no reason to not class "last post was over 1 second ago" as such.

Ultimately, though? While I have an idea of your feelings on the matter, bay12 is somewhat more tolerant of spam than that.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 11:11:18 pm »

To all who have posted to this thread....

If each of you necroed an old thread you started, you could comment on each others necros, and when someone posts in your thread you don't reply in your necro, but theirs!!
In effect laying a necro siege on the forum. No one would know what's going on, as the conversations would be spread among the threads.
When the weight of new threads atomsmashes the last necro, the siege is lifted  :P

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 03:37:58 am »

If each of you necroed an old thread you started, you could comment on each others necros, and when someone posts in your thread you don't reply in your necro, but theirs!!
In effect laying a necro siege on the forum. No one would know what's going on, as the conversations would be spread among the threads.
When the weight of new threads atomsmashes the last necro, the siege is lifted  :P

Goatmaan
Now we have only one thread here. It's only a hello/goodbye siege, like all necro sieges.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 10:17:55 am »

Goatmaan

you have the twisted mind fit for that of a necromancer
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »

Sorry for the drunk post, it made sense at the time!

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 02:17:53 pm »

Goatmaan

Actually I thought it was quite funny, but then I was probably really drunk at the time too.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 08:22:25 pm »

Goatmaan

Actually I thought it was quite funny, but then I was probably really drunk at the time too.
Just three more years away from experiencing the most meta way of playing Dwarf Fortress: Drinking while watching your Dwarves get drunk. One day.....

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2016, 02:15:05 pm »

Goatmaan

Just three more years away from experiencing the most meta way of playing Dwarf Fortress: Drinking while watching your Dwarves get drunk. One day.....

Go find the drunk fortress thread. It is a real thing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2016, 08:14:50 pm »

Goatmaan

I tried to drink and dwarf once. Got a little out of hand. Auffice to say, several walls were torn down and replaced with rose gold. And the whole tavern smelled of old batteries.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 02:45:24 am »

Goatmaan

I tried to drink and dwarf once. Got a little out of hand. Auffice to say, several walls were torn down and replaced with rose gold. And the whole tavern smelled of old batteries.
Quote py- wait, batteries?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:33 am »

Goatmaan

Okay, I also have to hear how old batteries got into this.  I presume it refers to the sulphurous smell of an over-driven battery?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 07:51:24 pm »

Goatmaan

Okay, I also have to hear how old batteries got into this.  I presume it refers to the sulphurous smell of an over-driven battery?

All hail battery acid

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2016, 11:47:11 am »

You guys should check out the drunk fortress thread.

That's a succession fort where everyone is super drunk while playing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2016, 04:22:51 am »

Isn't it a board culture thing?  I am always afraid whenever joining a new board that I will inevitably get it wrong.  On some fora, if there is an existing thread for something, you go back to it and post in it no matter how old it is.  Or you get yelled at.  On others, if the thread stopped getting posts a few days ago, you start a new one, no matter how appropriate the old one was.  Or you get yelled at.

It seems vaguely correlated with how many threads a site has and whether there's general hostility toward creating new threads.

Ertosi

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [DF_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2016, 12:47:52 pm »

I'm brand new to DF. What made me totally dorfs out over this game is the incredible level of detail and countless combinations of interactions.  I'm only on my second fortress and have already come across so many questions that were only answered by insanely old posts,  some from over a decade ago. They were still highly relevant to my issues and part of me felt I was doing a disservice to future dorfs by not posting any solutions or other relevant info I discovered.  It may be years from now, but someone else in the same situation will find it useful one day.
Bug 0597 [creatures] - flying creatures give birth in midair, leading to tragedy.
Bug 4681: A dwarf with a fell mood grabbed a ghost. It didn't get the required materials, so it grabbed another one.
Bug 6722: Manager climbs a tree instead of going to office when management jobs are assigned.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4