Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Discussion on threadnomancy. Necroing old threads since 1936  (Read 7948 times)

ApatheticExcuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on threadnomancy. Or necrothreading. Or whatever.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 03:10:41 pm »

I don't think there really are any pros or cons besides those mentioned. As far as I know, you pretty much have it; the entirety of the argument is that some people just don't like it, some people don't care, and some people think it's fine simply because that's how they feel about it.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 11:46:23 pm »

So this thread is not for talking about a necromancer raises giant cave spider silk threads into zombie giant cave spiders?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 12:18:20 am »

So this thread is not for talking about a necromancer raises giant cave spider silk threads into zombie giant cave spiders?
Or how to raise multiple undead in parallel? Or undead hair basket weaving?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:19:59 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 09:45:14 am »

Nope. Threadnomancy.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 02:39:39 pm »

I dont care about necrothreading.
Actually, I can't even see why its a bad thing

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 03:00:17 pm »

Nope. Threadnomancy.

Now wait just a minute. Is it threadnomancy or threadomancy? I think it should be threadomancy.
Hands?
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 02:41:35 am »

Nope. Threadnomancy.

Now wait just a minute. Is it threadnomancy or threadomancy? I think it should be threadomancy.
Hands?

Get your own thread, this is for experienced threadomancers

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 03:55:49 am »

Nope. Threadnomancy.

Hands?

I have necroed a ton of threads in the past, but only for people to read those tales not in the hall of legends.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 04:08:22 am »

Nope. Threadnomancy.

Hands?

I have necroed a ton of threads in the past, but only for people to read those tales not in the hall of legends.

Then welcome, brother of the ancient thread

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 09:35:57 am »

Well if it raises or answers questions that are still relevant or if someone makes a related discovery ("Hey, this thread is about whether or not goblins can swim in magma for three seasons while Urist fishes from the volcano. I wanted to say that not only is the answer yes, but as of patch Fubar 1.2, we can use it in a danger room while he fishes.") but if it's just to say "Yay, me too!" then I kind of side-eye it, but pass in silence.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 01:40:19 pm »

It seems like two rather different things are being confused here: thread resurrection and thread necromancy.

When you post a new message to a "dead" thread which contributes to or otherwise renews the discussion in a meaningful way, then the thread has been resurrected. For example, somebody might post a help request in the Modding forum and never get an answer, only for somebody years later to find the thread and have the answer to that question. Thread resurrection isn't an inherently bad thing - the only real problem is that newcomers might waste a bunch of time reading through old comments which are no longer relevant. Some forums encourage reviving threads, while others encourage starting new ones (and possibly linking to the old ones); I don't recall which is preferred on the Bay 12 forums.

On the other hand, when you post a message to a dead thread which does not contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way (e.g. "Me too!" or "Hey! Read this thread, it's awesome!"), then all you have accomplished is reanimating the thread like a zombie, just like what necromancers do to dead creatures. This act is never acceptable, and such posts should ideally be Reported as abusive behavior.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 02:30:53 pm »

It seems like two rather different things are being confused here: thread resurrection and thread necromancy.

When you post a new message to a "dead" thread which contributes to or otherwise renews the discussion in a meaningful way, then the thread has been resurrected. For example, somebody might post a help request in the Modding forum and never get an answer, only for somebody years later to find the thread and have the answer to that question. Thread resurrection isn't an inherently bad thing - the only real problem is that newcomers might waste a bunch of time reading through old comments which are no longer relevant. Some forums encourage reviving threads, while others encourage starting new ones (and possibly linking to the old ones); I don't recall which is preferred on the Bay 12 forums.

On the other hand, when you post a message to a dead thread which does not contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way (e.g. "Me too!" or "Hey! Read this thread, it's awesome!"), then all you have accomplished is reanimating the thread like a zombie, just like what necromancers do to dead creatures. This act is never acceptable, and such posts should ideally be Reported as abusive behavior.

Abusive behavior?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 07:19:59 pm »

This act is never acceptable, and such posts should ideally be Reported as abusive behavior.

Abusive behavior?

abusive can refer to abusing a person with insults and harassment, or it can mean abusing a mechanic of the forums, like commenting bringing a post to the top of the forum.

as for my opinion on the topic, it depends on the forum. ive been on some other game forums where if there is already an existing topic about what you posted, your thread will be locked. but if you comment on the existing topic and its over 2 weeks old that thread will be locked, thus preventing any new conversation on an old topic. and there are no exceptions, theres no "if you bring something meaningful to the topic it will be allowed"
now in the support or fan creations sub forums, necro is allowed.

on bay12 i think that necromancy is ok under certain conditions.
#1: the thread is still relevant to the current DF version and either of the following
#2: if the thread is support and there is no working answer
#3: you have something valid to say that contributes to the topic

if it fits, necro is fine, if it dosnt, well there might be some other exception i missed
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:27:58 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 07:43:23 pm »

Abusive behavior?

Quietust has spoken!
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 04:29:33 pm »

Abusive behavior?
Spam (advertisements or deliberately offtopic content) is an appropriate target for the "Report to moderator" link, and the sort of thread "necromancy" I described above generally is no better than spam.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4