Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GO Discussion Thread (Boardgame) (More strategic than chess)  (Read 820 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Go Thread. No, not the pokemon or the tactical fps, but this:

So anyone playing? I know there are other threads on this, but they all seem dead, and I bet some people on bay12 are into it.

Something I've been wondering is whether I should play one large boards or smaller ones. I'm 18/17 kyu, and I feel like a 9x9, while difficult and interesting, is just a totally different game from a 19x19. On a 19x19, I can play well after making a few inferior moves and make up the points I threw away sometimes, while on a 9x9, I feel like I can get screwed pretty much instantly. I don't mind 13x13, but feel like I might as well play on a large board if I'm going to do that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:32:25 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: GO Discussion Thread (Boardgame) (More strategic than chess)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:59:33 pm »

I'm an absolute scrub at Go and have not played it more times than I can count with my fingers, but PTW cos it looks pretty interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »

P2W

I'm an absolute scrub at Go and have not played it more times than I can count with my fingers, but PTW cos it looks pretty interesting

There's a secret rule where you can win by successfully peppering all enemy players with the little tanks, planes, and ships until they leave the table. The ships work best since they're all pointy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:51:12 pm »

I used to play a bunch in university, but I haven't played it in ages.  19x19 is the only real way to play unless its your first few games and are learning the rules.  :D  If I were to guess, I'd put myself at between 12 and 14 kyu(unless I've gone completely rusty :D).

Ranking is a bit of a funny thing though.  A friend I used to work with was around 10 kyu, and found out his boss (Who I think from Denmark?) was a 1 dan.  So he challenged him to a game, thinking it would be an complete loss, and probably make his boss happy.   However, Go Rankings tend to be based on where ever you play, so a 1 dan there might not be worth anything compared to a 10 kyu who mostly played online. 

He started to realise about half way through that he was completely trouncing his boss, and started trying to pull worse and worse moves to try to even up the game, but I think his boss started to realise what was going on so my friend ended up having to win the game.  :D  Plan backfired.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:00:42 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:36:58 am »

I tried to get into this many moons ago. For some reason, I seem to be utterly terrible at strategy board games, this attempt coming after chess and shogi.

I should try Go again sometime, though. It was pretty fun. I like its greater scale of sorts than chess; I always rationalized stone- placing as settling areas and life/death battles as warfare establishing national boundaries.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 09:13:18 am »

I tried to get into this many moons ago. For some reason, I seem to be utterly terrible at strategy board games, this attempt coming after chess and shogi.

I should try Go again sometime, though. It was pretty fun. I like its greater scale of sorts than chess; I always rationalized stone- placing as settling areas and life/death battles as warfare establishing national boundaries.
I like the difference between Chess and Go

In Chess you are maneuvering your pieces to force the surrender of the King (removing all options that don't end in death), whereas in Go you're maneuvering to capture as much territory and pieces of the opponent as possible (achieving hegemony!)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:52:00 am »

It's a great game, although I haven't played for a while. The thing I like most about it compared to chess is that there's an effective handicapping system (where the worse player gets to make a certain number of moves at the start of the game and/or receives some extra points), which means you can have a competitive game between people of different skill levels.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 04:54:54 am »

God I hate monkeyjumps.
One wheel short of a wagon

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:15 am »

God I hate monkeyjumps.

Heh, its the best.  So easy to mess up the responses, so much territory to eat up.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout