Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)  (Read 49771 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2016, 01:50:16 am »

I think one of the keys to understanding human complexity is that people quite often act completely contrary to their intentions.

People will push away ones they want to be close to or annoy people they want to impress... and not always in an attempt to sabotage themselves.

Or people will act in a way that is contrary to how they feel in an attempt to make themselves feel differently. It isn't unusual for someone with depression to act perky (heck, I do quite often)

As well it is difficult for people without some form of social unawareness (either by a learning disability or some form of autism) to understand what it is like for people without it. The rules of being social are so ingrained in people that they don't even realize how complicated it can be.

One big reason is that people tend to act like everything is going perfectly alright, often laughing off faux paus as if they were good natured.

---

Someone offered to let me write, I believe, Anime reviews for them that they will voice and edit...

I am not exactly sure what to do in that respect. My writing is usually very fragmented and loose and not fit exactly to a video.

---

UGH! watching a show.

So this girl stole from a store and basically her teacher pretended she didn't in order to get her out of trouble.

Yet later confronted her about it to try to convince her to admit her fault. When it was clear she wasn't going to admit to stealing he forcefully grabbed onto her purse and tried to wrestle it out of her hands.

She then kicked him and knocked him to the ground.

Yet he still insists he is in the right here (and the show agrees with him)...

No offense man... but you assaulted her... and all she did was kick you once and you fell to the ground... barely even getting a scrape. Yeah you got off easy... and frankly you kind of deserved it.

---

Every night I am getting panicked...

I call it my Sleep Phobia.

When it gets late I just end up having such an aversion to sleep and start to get stressed and panicked about nothing in particular. Often forcing me to stay up or distract myself until I am too tired to stay awake anymore.

I really hope these stop soon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:40:02 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2016, 09:00:13 pm »

I think the biggest issue with the new Jurassic World movie... to avoid spoilers...

Is that it is flat out an idiot plot.

It also oddly vilifies the villain... in spite him... kind of not being the bad guy.

It is kind of the reverse of Frozen.

Frozen would have been better if it got rid of a villain.

Jurassic world would have been better if it had a villain.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:03:24 pm by Neonivek »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2016, 10:57:38 pm »

Jurassic World was just ridiculous throughout, other than Jimmy Buffet's presence.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2016, 03:30:23 am »

UGH! Dear Media

The statute of limitations can indeed keep someone from seeking legal justice.

Yet! there are certain things that can prevent the limitations from running out...

One of the big ones is covering things up... Another is a "Continuous act".

So if you were to, for example, cover up an illegal act until the statue of limitations ended. Nope! Doesn't fly.

---

On that note Double Jeopardy.

Media... It prevents someone from being tried twice for the same crime.

Yet, and stay with me now, the same crime refers to the exact same instance.

If you get falsely imprisoned for a crime you didn't commit, it doesn't give you free reign to actually commit the crime because those are two separate instances.

---

Also Police do not need a warrant to do a search, if the person freely agrees to a search (and has the authority to allow it).

Heck a lot of the time, research suggests the vast majority of police searches are with permission, the police will simply ask without a warrant (And in a lot of cases a officer wouldn't be able to secure a warrant anyhow) since people often are co-operative... and by that I mean most don't even know they can refuse.

Though legally the advice is generally to never agree to a police search unless they have a warrant (for more reasons then being arrested. For example damages caused by the police). There is even advice on exactly HOW to refuse.

---

On that note it sort of breaks my heart that the majority of legal advice I've found regarding the police always seems to involve resisting them (legally that is)... Even if you are 100% innocent.

Don't willingly give up information without a lawyer. Don't let them do searches without a warrant... As well as telling you exactly how the police will try to coerce you to give up those rights in the most subversive ways (like outright lying).

>_< it goes against my principles.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:42:03 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2016, 01:03:52 am »

So I was watching a Drama called "Doctors" and I was kind of noticing a serious drop in quality.

It had the characters throw a tepid argument that didn't mean anything (It basically amounts to the female lead telling him he needs to open up more)... and yet they freeken threw a pity party to cheesy pop music.

All the while the show has put the brakes on the plot, reversed character development to continue bad plotlines, and pretty much dropped the shows original premise.

The show sucks now is what I am trying to say... Episode 11/20 is where I draw the line and just go "No, the show is bad now".

Yet that isn't the important detail here. I checked the comments to see if it was just me who thought it was kind of starting to seriously lag...

And no, there were a LOT of people who basically noticed how bad the show was getting. Yet THAT isn't what caught my attention either.

What caught my attention was the sheer amount of people who were decrying complainers and telling them to watch some other show OR asking that they write a synopsis for why they don't like it or don't talk at all (Like people who like it have to write a full review to explain why they like it *eyeroll*).

I then go back to these forums and see the exact same thing...

---

Here is kind of why I don't like it when people deflect moderation on the internet as "Not a Free Speech" thing...

If not here then where?

I accept moderation as an extension of being responsible for free speech. Yet moderation that is meant to squelch differing opinions is an imposition on it.

The whole "They are just choosing not to host it" is a deflection... You can almost always make that argument for imposition on free speech.

---

Ultimately if people's opinions are not yours... Then they aren't yours.

There is nothing good enough that everyone should love it...

Nor anything bad enough that everyone will hate it.

Even Shakespeare in his day wrote plays people hated.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:08:41 am by Neonivek »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2016, 09:20:20 am »

But people aren't obligated to like your opinion either.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2016, 04:12:16 pm »

But people aren't obligated to like your opinion either.

That is true!

But there is a difference between objecting to their opinion or even disliking it... Hating it...

And "You shouldn't post here if you don't like it! what do you think it is a opinion thread?"
Me: "Yes... yes it is... this isn't an appreciation thread"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2016, 06:55:50 am »

So in my attempt to watch all the movies I missed ever... I decided to watch the Bee Movie (Kind of a mistake... given I am afraid of bugs).

The premise of the movie is that humans are "stealing" honey and the main character basically wants to put a stop to it.

So they get to the Bee farm part of the movie and I am sitting there so morbidly curious as to how they are going to be depicted because frankly ALL movies of this type will basically depict it as outright slavery.

Lo and behold yes it is exactly that. Basically mass slaves. The Smokers are even depicted as being a hazardous drug gas that chokes them out. Heck the Bee workers seem to loathe and despise the bees intensely (though I actually find that funny just for how outright silly that is)

Yet what is kind of odd to me is well...
1) Farm Bees produce far more honey then bees in the wild and even get to keep more of it then wild bees.
2) Smokers do not harm the bees in anyway. They work by preventing the transmitting of pheromones.

While an argument could be made that the humans are indeed stealing from the sapient bees (that no one knows are Sapient because bees... don't talk to humans). A more accurate depiction would be a more symbiotic relationship.

It is just weird to see depictions that are just so backwards. The natural hives are basically paradisiac and the artificial hives are slave camps.

Ohh and to add just a tiny bit more insult to injury: Another movie that is transphobic :P (Thanks Bee movie!)

Edit: also ERRR!!! the movie is also about cultural appropriation! Dang it people!

Edit: UGH!!! Bees are NOT the only animal that makes honey, they are also not the only animal that pollinates.

---

I guess I wouldn't care... if this wasn't some sort of weird environmental movie about animal exploitation advertised to kids... and it wasn't even outright hilarious like Captain Planet...

I should just make an entire post about Captain Planet... The guy who fought Hitler, Aids, and the IRA
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:53:12 am by Neonivek »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2016, 05:51:03 pm »

I should just make an entire post about Captain Planet... The guy who fought Hitler, Aids, and the IRA
Wait, he fought Hitler!? I've only seen the IRA one.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2016, 08:02:38 pm »

So in my attempt to watch all the movies I missed ever... I decided to watch the Bee Movie (Kind of a mistake... given I am afraid of bugs).

Go watch Gyo, you'll enjoy that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2016, 11:10:04 pm »

A short post today.

I am finding myself stuck with very odd feelings in terms of revivals.

A LOT of really old properties are being revived: Magic School bus, Bill Nye, and Samurai Jack.

To the extent that they completely overshadow new properties. Yet whenever I get the energy to even think about complaining I remember "Ohh yeah! These old shows were awesome and most new shows are terrible. So I am kind of winning out"

Heck even "Fuller House" which is incredibly sacrine and cheesy at least, to me, fills a niche that is completely absent in today's media. What show would exist in its place? Probably another by the numbers show.

The Evil Dead TV show is amazing!

I am in this really odd position where I really wish people would make their own stuff... While also wanting them to revive the old stuff... While also knowing that there is so much trash with the new stuff...

Go watch Gyo, you'll enjoy that.

Yeah please don't give me suggestions meant purely to disturb me. I actually don't like being disturbed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 23, 2016, 12:47:13 am »

So I continue my delve into history and find an interesting thing about Lawyers

I am aware they are generally disliked throughout most of history with MANY civilizations and groups having laws to prevent them, kill them, or remove them.

So apparently this country banned Lawyers because they actually caused a lot of long trials (and trials, even for murder, usually took less than a day... they were less trials and more sentencing).

Yet what is the most common way of collecting evidence in this country? Torturing people until they confess for days and days and days... in fact Torture was necessary because you can have all the evidence that someone committed a crime but you still need their confession (I believe you still can go to trial without a confession, but I can only guess a confession allows them to forgo certain aspects of trials and save money).

As well most people didn't know the law and couldn't read... Lawyers, as they do today, did more then just defend you in court, they also fill the plaintiff in on their rights and the law.

It is one of the only times I've heard of Lawyers being banned not because of an excessive belief in their justice system (Our police can't be wrong!), Or that lawyers are inherently evil (Like Athens believed), or that defending a guilty person is wrong...

But rather Lawyers were SO effective and the justice system were soo broken... that they literally couldn't afford to have lawyers around.

---

And trust me their justice system was soo messed up and they knew it... Remember when I said it feels like corruption exists to attempt to fix a problem?

A lot of the laws have sentences that will kill a person (50 lashings for example)... So a lot of people get more durable people to take the lashings.

People who work in the prison don't earn enough to live off of? Well... switching those prisoners can earn them money.

Police don't earn enough? Well they will take bribes from the prison to look the other way.

Peasants hopelessly poor? Well lashings may be tough, but that money might get them through another month.

And thus Corruption is born because of a broken system... That both keeps the system from falling apart completely while also keeping it from ever really getting fixed.

----

DEAR FREEKEN GOODNESS the law system is as broke as heck!

So apparently they have a system where if they can't prove you did something but you are suspicious... they are allowed to give you a lesser punishment.

The only thing they have is that they found a bloody knife NEAR a guy's house... that is the only evidence they have that even connects this guy to the crime at this point. STILL isn't freeken valid enough to get him out...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:36:01 am by Neonivek »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 23, 2016, 08:05:53 am »

Wait.
BILL NYE IS REVIVING?!

[THEME MUSIC INTENSIFIES]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2016, 04:11:25 pm »

Goodness it is so weird how people are so dead set against Game refunds >_<

Giving things arbitrary time and requirements for refunds because apparently you can grasp the full breadth and scope of a game within that time period... Or that just something being lousy, experiencing that it is lousy, and then returning it is bad.

So if you, for example, bought a hose and its pressure was too low but you still used it to wash your car, albeit slowly. They would argue that "You used the hose and got your use out of it. No refund" rather than that being precisely the reason why it should be refunded. Better yet there are plenty of products out there that fall apart after days, weeks, or even years when they are meant to last much longer. Videogames are the same way... 2 hours on steam seems like a long time but plenty of games don't show their lack of quality until 5, 10, or 20 hours into it.

There is also a high expectation for the consumer to be extremely well versed in everything they purchase. The major argument is that you could watch streams, letsplays, and extensive gameplay videos (basically spoiling the whole game) and thus no purchase NEEDS to be blind and thus the consumer isn't warranted a refund. Which is not only goes against the average consumer (who purchase based on trailers, interviews, and maybe word of mouth) but is about the equivalent of requesting someone watch a movie before seeing a movie. It is especially telling that this is putting the blame onto the consumers but not on, for example, marketing for being dishonest or misleading.

The odd thing is that good refund policies hurt bad business practices... not good ones.

Wait.
BILL NYE IS REVIVING?!

[THEME MUSIC INTENSIFIES]

Yep yep yep!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2016, 05:50:54 pm »

So I am watching Elena of Avalor a kids cartoon (as in around the 7 year old range without hope of snagging teens) and two things caught my attention

1) This episode has a legitimate issue: A Historical site was found in the middle of a major street slowing down trade and interfering with everyone's daily lives: Should they preserve the site or scavenge the site for treasure and seal it up?

That floored me since most kids shows don't really have big or good issues they are always set up to have a clearly right thing to do (Outside befriending enemies). I know they will cop out but meh.

2) There is a character in the show who I will call Jeff. Jeff was put onto the council (currently the council rules the country until Elena is experienced enough to be queen) because he has extensive connections and knowledge of many foreign lands and customs along with being quite intelligent (and conniving). He believes a kingdom should be ruled with an iron fist and that he is a far better ruler then Elena will be... Yet he isn't murderous (He doesn't want Elena to die... so Kudos for not making him a black and white villain from the shadows)

What is interesting about him is how this kids show treats this character versus what a more adult show would handle him.

His role on the show is basically to be wrong. It doesn't matter what his opinion is, he is wrong. Even if it is entirely within his area of expertise (Foreign relations and customs) he will be wrong, in fact one episode he almost ruins a diplomatic meeting by handing a culture he is extremely experienced with wrong. It makes him come off as incredibly stupid and makes you question how he even got along before the show began.
-What is odd about the episode he gets foreign relations wrong is. His thing in that episode is believing everyone from Fantasy Japan are sticklers for tradition and their own culture while Elena believes they should show them their own culture. I honestly expected this episode to be about mutual cultural acceptance
--DOUBLE bonus! Elena ditches the diplomatic meeting to go to her younger sister's invention fare. Which no offense Elena but !NO!. That meeting was FAR more important you can't blow it off... Of course it works out in Elena's favor but still.

A more adult show however would focus on him being right, at least one form of right... and how intelligent he is. Not that an adult show would have to make him dark. Yet it would be more about Elena finding a better solution to a problem as opposed to needing to circumvent Jeff's incompetence.

-Actually that is kind of interesting as well...

Jeff in a more adult series would be right most of the time just not the best kind of right "We should destroy it" would be a legitimate solution to the problem and dealing with it another way would be risky or costly and thus Elena must find another solution.

Elena in this series is basically treated like she can do no wrong a lot of the time. TWICE in the show does she do major faux pas (Once she blew off a diplomatic meeting, another she ignored a council vote entirely) and is rewarded for it. In a more adult series this would not be the case.

---

UGH! and again Jeff says something where he is 100% correct.

Naomi was put on the Council because she speaks her mind... and that is it.

He says she is unqualified because she isn't a royal but does go on to explain himself and to say she has no experience running anything, no honors, no degrees, or accolades. She was just a kid who lived on the dock...

Now expectedly Jeff is going to be wrong in this episode... But let me see how far it will get.

Hopefully she smarts her way out of the situation and doesn't gain hyper competence.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:00:12 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24