Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most glamorous way to overachieve?  (Read 2937 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Most glamorous way to overachieve?
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:11:55 am »

In what areas in life do you guys think one can earn a lot of respect if they're really good at? I'm pretty tired of beinf treated like an average joe and apparently being above average at nearly everything isn't good enough for people. Obviously it"/ easier said than done, but how do I build myself to be someone that everybody admire?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Most glamorous way to overachieve?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:20:36 am »

By not caring about people who only like you if you're good at something, for starters.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 09:33:28 am »

By not caring about people who only like you if you're good at something, for starters.
Not playing doesn't necessarily mean you win.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 09:43:30 am »

I dunno, if it's an absolute must for you to be famous youtube and twitch seems to be easy routes with only a year to three before you get fairly well known.

Otherwise art, scientific achievements, musical acuity and sports fame are common ones.  That said, most people who are recognized to be overachievers also tend to have an air of 'Not actually caring if they overachieve.'  I was lauded in highschool my whole time there as being the smartest person (even getting an award when I graduated) and I don't personally think it was deserved but the more I denied it the more people insisted it was true *shrugs*

I also think doing things not so much with the intention to impress people but with the goal of making yourself satisfied tends to yield results people are more actually impressed by, despite that seeming really backwards.  I paint boats and run a marine supply shop now and I just make an effort to have my work done to my own liking and on time.... and all the sail boat owners frequently comment that I did a wonderful job.  I dunno though, if that's so much what you mean as glamorous that said.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:46:25 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:03 am »

In what areas in life do you guys think one can earn a lot of respect if they're really good at? I'm pretty tired of beinf treated like an average joe and apparently being above average at nearly everything isn't good enough for people. Obviously it"/ easier said than done, but how do I build myself to be someone that everybody admire?
Going to pull this out of topic but...Cinder, do you recall the talk we had regarding your perception of an 'average person'?

Back on topic: Respect is acknowledged by skill--how one develops themselves. These go in all aspects of the human/living persona, from social to artistic to the intellectual or mechanical. A person with a good, genuine, and pleasing personality is one common point on being respected, even silently, inasmuch as those who strive for progress and developing their own skills, services, or abilities for the benefit of everyone around.

Though I should ask: Who are these people?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 09:51:17 am »

Back on topic: Respect is acknowledged by skill--how one develops themselves. These go in all aspects of the human/living persona, from social to artistic to the intellectual or mechanical. A person with a good, genuine, and pleasing personality is one common point on being respected, even silently, inasmuch as those who strive for progress and developing their own skills, services, or abilities for the benefit of everyone around.

+1 for truth.  Was what I was trying to say but Tiruin worded it astronomically better.
Nom nom nom

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 09:56:52 am »

Housekeeping's a good one for both guests and overall confidence. Have a place of your own that you can safely feel proud of, where you can display all manner of impressive things. It'll have the nice side effect of improving your living conditions. Goes well with being a good cook. Nothing gives the sense of an ordered life like a good home that you are personally responsible for. And once you've gotten that in order, you effectively have a base of operations that makes you feel great for being there.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 10:00:45 am »

Are people disrespecting you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 10:05:11 am »

Welp, pretty much everything i was going to say has already been posted, but i'm totally seconding what both Tiruin and kilakan are saying. I don't think there's a recipe for getting famous (i mean, if there were, we'd all be famous), but a very good start is to be a good person who is very good at doing what they love. If you need to go hamglamorous with your overachieving though, you're going to have to dedicate a shit ton of time on a very small amount of things, and i mean a SHIT TON. A plural of hours, every day, for years. There's no shortcut here, so it's all about finding something that you can stand doing for so long, and perhaps even love doing. Hell, if you've found a marketable skill that you can stand doing for 10000 hours, you're already pretty well set for life even without the fame. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:31:26 am »

I dunno, if it's an absolute must for you to be famous youtube and twitch seems to be easy routes with only a year to three before you get fairly well known.

Otherwise art, scientific achievements, musical acuity and sports fame are common ones.  That said, most people who are recognized to be overachievers also tend to have an air of 'Not actually caring if they overachieve.'  I was lauded in highschool my whole time there as being the smartest person (even getting an award when I graduated) and I don't personally think it was deserved but the more I denied it the more people insisted it was true *shrugs*

I also think doing things not so much with the intention to impress people but with the goal of making yourself satisfied tends to yield results people are more actually impressed by, despite that seeming really backwards.  I paint boats and run a marine supply shop now and I just make an effort to have my work done to my own liking and on time.... and all the sail boat owners frequently comment that I did a wonderful job.  I dunno though, if that's so much what you mean as glamorous that said.
Youtubers aren't as respected as they ought to be. Sure, they have a fanbase, but their distinguishing talent only appear when they're in front of a camera, not while with acquaintances.

Going to pull this out of topic but...Cinder, do you recall the talk we had regarding your perception of an 'average person'?

Though I should ask: Who are these people?
My parents, for starters.

Are people disrespecting you?

@Tiruin too

I wouldn't say disrespect, since that implies being respected than one deserves, but I'm respected as much as I deserve. The issue is that I deserve pretty little. I want to deserve more, and I want an objective.

Housekeeping's a good one for both guests and overall confidence. Have a place of your own that you can safely feel proud of, where you can display all manner of impressive things. It'll have the nice side effect of improving your living conditions. Goes well with being a good cook. Nothing gives the sense of an ordered life like a good home that you are personally responsible for. And once you've gotten that in order, you effectively have a base of operations that makes you feel great for being there.

This actually sounds interesting. I could be a college student who is smart, good-looking, and isn't a disgusting slob. That'd be like being Jesus, except instead of water you walk on crushing responsibilities.

Welp, pretty much everything i was going to say has already been posted, but i'm totally seconding what both Tiruin and kilakan are saying. I don't think there's a recipe for getting famous (i mean, if there were, we'd all be famous), but a very good start is to be a good person who is very good at doing what they love. If you need to go hamglamorous with your overachieving though, you're going to have to dedicate a shit ton of time on a very small amount of things, and i mean a SHIT TON. A plural of hours, every day, for years. There's no shortcut here, so it's all about finding something that you can stand doing for so long, and perhaps even love doing. Hell, if you've found a marketable skill that you can stand doing for 10000 hours, you're already pretty well set for life even without the fame. :v
What if I want to be good ar ALL THE THINGS?

Or at least very good at learning a la Paul Atreides. Yes I know he's fictional, fite me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:34:53 am »

Then you're signing up for a life of disappointment.

I mean sure, there's probably a few people around on this planet who could be considered a true Uomo Universalis, but you're not one of them, or you would not be making this thread.

There's more fullfillment to be found in doing what you can do than in thinking about what you can't do.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:37:15 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 10:36:06 am »

Then you're signing up for a life of disappointment
You mean, life?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 10:36:44 am »

Then you're signing up for a life of disappointment
You mean, life?
Yeah pretty much.  I mean, when people say life gets better as you get older are god damned liars.
Nom nom nom

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 10:41:04 am »

Besides, since you're about getting people's respect, you really don't want to be good at everything. That does not earn you respect, it earns you envy, in a competitive world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 10:49:52 am »

It doesn't usually take a high degree of skill to impress someone untrained, so if your goal in pursuing more diverse interests is to be more interesting yourself, it is entirely possible to be somewhat proficient in things from visual arts to computer programming to minigolf to the point where you'd at least be able to have a slight amount of common ground with another individual, in the "oh, I used to dabble in minigolf myself once upon a time, it's such a fascinating subject" kind of way. Being a Renaissance man is a noble ideal to aspire to, it's just that you'll never stack up to someone highly specialized in a given area.

Whether it's really worth trying to stack up to someone highly specialized in a given area, though, depends on what your life goals are in particular, and having a broad set of skills and the ability to apply them is a great strength in and of itself.

Nevertheless, the most common measure of a man is his household. It doesn't matter if you're a great artist living alone in a filthy cave or a good programmer living alone in a filthy cave or the greatest minigolfer to ever walk the earth living alone in a filthy cave - the fact that you live alone in a filthy cave is what will form the basis of your image as a person rather than as a professional.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:52:13 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: [1] 2