Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sinus surgery, smell recovery  (Read 2811 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Sinus surgery, smell recovery
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:12:07 pm »

Anyone had any experience with it?

I had nasal polypectomy surgery done, and had my deviated septum fixed. Must have been pretty bad, surgery took like 3 hours.

Anyways, it's been 2 days since the surgery when it dawned on me....I can't smell a thing. Nothing. Nada. Taste has been blunted by like 80%. I can breathe great, but zero smell.

I get I just had surgery on the interior of my nose, there's blood and mucus, I'm rising it with salt water periodically so.....smell being messed up or gone for a time is to be expected.

But I've been doing reading and people's long-term experiences are all over the place. People say smell comes back better, about the same, less or never between 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, a year or 13 years.

I consider myself a sensualist. (I guess I'd also accept hedonist.) I like my food and my smoke and my beverages. Flavors and taste are super important to me. My sense of smell, even before the surgery when I was all blocked up, was very keen. Sometimes even too keen. Were my sense of smell (and therefore taste) not to come back is there anything to be done to encourage the nose to regain the sense of smell?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:14:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Sinus surgery, smell recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:18:09 pm »

I really do hope for you it recovers.

Having no smell is a terrible handicap. A friend of mine was born without the ability to smell. He needs someone to do housekeeping for him to prevent eviction, because he won't smell when there's a dead rat stinking up the place, or rot in the kitchen sink, or when he stepped in dog poo and carried into the carpet. He also needs to be real careful with dates on food, and keeping food after opening because he can't tell if something's spoiled or not.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:22:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 06:54:25 am »

Have you talked about it with your surgeon?

That being said,  during my brief stint at the ORL department back in medical school my impression was that nasal surgery immediate post-op days/weeks were pretty miserable in regards to nasal constipation and pain (can't blow your nose, etc... in all honesty, the idea of undergoing nasal surgery scares me not because of any inherent danger, but because of the rather unpleasant post-op). It does not seem unlikely to have an impaired sense of smell if your nose is clogged

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:00:07 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 09:54:35 am »

Anyone had any experience with it?

I had nasal polypectomy surgery done, and had my deviated septum fixed. Must have been pretty bad, surgery took like 3 hours.

Anyways, it's been 2 days since the surgery when it dawned on me....I can't smell a thing. Nothing. Nada. Taste has been blunted by like 80%. I can breathe great, but zero smell.

I get I just had surgery on the interior of my nose, there's blood and mucus, I'm rising it with salt water periodically so.....smell being messed up or gone for a time is to be expected.

But I've been doing reading and people's long-term experiences are all over the place. People say smell comes back better, about the same, less or never between 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, a year or 13 years.

I consider myself a sensualist. (I guess I'd also accept hedonist.) I like my food and my smoke and my beverages. Flavors and taste are super important to me. My sense of smell, even before the surgery when I was all blocked up, was very keen. Sometimes even too keen. Were my sense of smell (and therefore taste) not to come back is there anything to be done to encourage the nose to regain the sense of smell?
If your nose is permanently damaged I would suggest keeping track of the things being done at the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:59:34 am »

I'd also consider some sort of lawsuit or something against the hospital if they never warned you that could even be a thing.  Botched surgery is not something you should just ignore and having a friend who has no sense of smell after a similar procedure I can tell you it's really affected his life.

That said, a few days would not be something too worrying, I mean people lose their sense of smell when they get flus/colds for a few days to a week pretty normally.
Nom nom nom

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 10:00:20 am »

What ChairmanPoo said, you should go ask your doctor.
As a layman (I'm just a biologist and no medic), I'd say there's a few possibilities.
- your actual smell receptors in your nose are clogged by whatever swelling and fluids the post-op throws at your nose
- post-op swelling is temporarily pinching off the smell nerves
- the smell nerve was damaged during the operation

in the first two cases, I'd say you'll regain your sense of smell soon enough.
in the latter case, you might have a problem
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:02:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:20:23 am »

The potential for an "altered" sense of smell was mentioned as part of the pre-op documentation. It wasn't stressed by the surgeon though.

I'm probably being a little over paranoid. It's just the time I do have my sinuses mostly clear of blood clots after cleansing, I still can't smell at all.

And yeah, recovery is......not great. Better than it used to be, from what I understand. I didn't realize though that the "new" method for this surgery is to cut you and essentially just let you free bleed it out for days.

Botched surgery is not something you should just ignore and having a friend who has no sense of smell after a similar procedure I can tell you it's really affected his life.

The problem is it's hard to prove anything was botched. I actually went back into the OR the same day of the surgery because the bleeding had reached that "call us if your bandages soak through this fast" point, and the doc went back in with suction and a scope......and that was maybe one of the more painful experiences of my life. He looked and said everything "looked good."

Basically doctors will come back with "every body is different" "the nose is a complex ecosystem" yadda yadda as a defense against post-op consequences for surgery. Unless something obviously wrong happens like they clip your optic nerve or puncture through the lining of your sinuses into your brain.....I don't think there's much room to claim they caused unintended consequence. It's also possible the degree to which he had to remove tissue would, naturally, irrevocably alter my sense of smell. As I said, he originally felt the surgery would take 1.5 hours after he saw the imaging of my sinuses and I asked him "is it so bad you expect me to be in surgery longer than you originally thought" and he said no. Well, three hours later....
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 12:04:46 pm »

Basically doctors will come back with "every body is different" "the nose is a complex ecosystem" yadda yadda as a defense against post-op consequences for surgery. Unless something obviously wrong happens like they clip your optic nerve or puncture through the lining of your sinuses into your brain....
That's because it's true you know.  Every body is different, and there are just too many variables at play in medical acts to be able to predict individual outcomes. That's why you can demand that the reasonably needed means were put in play in an intervention, but cannot actually demand results, because there simply is no way to guarantee results.

That's also why you signed an informed consent form before the surgery, stating the procedure's potential risks.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 12:14:55 pm »

Knew your were going to come back and say that :P. I work in IT. I often have to tell people I don't know why shit happens the way it does, it just does. And that's with a machine.

I expect it's the same for doctors. I'm not criticizing. It's just not a great feeling.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:22:21 pm by nenjin »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 12:16:26 pm »

Yeah More what I meant is that if it never was part of the listed warnings, and you were never told about it at the very least you should be re-admitted on the hospitals cost to have corrective surgery if at all possible.
Nom nom nom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 12:31:13 pm »

Yeah More what I meant is that if it never was part of the listed warnings, and you were never told about it at the very least you should be re-admitted on the hospitals cost to have corrective surgery if at all possible.

That cuts to the root of my question though; can anything be done? Seems like one of those things that, when you lose it, modern medicine does not have an answer for how to restore it. Casual reading on the internet doesn't indicate there's a solution.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 12:41:35 pm »

Damn, I'm getting predictable  ???

I'd say that it has been a very short interval since the surgery to worry seriously about it being permanent. Most likely it will pass.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 12:43:50 pm »

No idea, I often forget that human bodies don't work like my dear engineering and physics projects and it's not something as simple as some sheered metal that can be replaced.
Nom nom nom

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 07:29:03 pm »

Posting to provide moral support.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 06:01:55 am »

That cuts to the root of my question though; can anything be done? Seems like one of those things that, when you lose it, modern medicine does not have an answer for how to restore it. Casual reading on the internet doesn't indicate there's a solution.
Wake Forest Institute for (regrowing entire human organs in a lab) Regenerative Medicine. They are in the experimental stages now, but a woman used one of their artificial uteruses to carry a child to term.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:03:43 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: [1] 2