Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Princess: the Hopeful - IcyTea31's London  (Read 4097 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Princess: the Hopeful - IcyTea31's London
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:03:47 am »

Princess: the Hopeful
A Storytelling Game of Fighting Fear

The World of Darkness is one of shadows within shadows. A thousand conspiracies fight for control while evil things go bump in the night. Nobody is truly safe. Every time you think things couldn't be bleaker, they find a new rock bottom as new horrific mysteries are unveiled. The common folk try not to think about it to keep their sanities, and honestly, who can blame them? Knowing too much is nothing but a pain, and nobody could really change things, even if they were brave enough to stare the horrors in the face.

Or could they?

When we were young, we thought everything was possible. We thought we could become anything and do anything when we got older. When we did get older, these things slowly became but naïve dreams, dumb impossibilities. But were they really dumb, or did we just become cynical? We became afraid of voicing and realizing our dreams, thinking them too childish for this harsh reality. But they aren't. For example, with enough hard work, almost anybody could become the President of their country. It would take a long time, and it wouldn't be easy, but it's not impossible, as long as you don't give up too soon. All it takes is a little bit of Hope.

Many things are wrong in the World of Darkness. Are you brave enough to channel that Hope within yourself and right those wrongs?

The game will be played using the Dream version of the game, available for free on its page. I will also be using the core rulebook of the World of Darkness. It is not legally available for free, so I will explain things from it when necessary. I have the free abridged version of God-Machine Chronicles with the updated rules, but not the full book.

I will take 3-5 players based on merit, selected in a week or two once I've written some of the campaign. Gameplay will be real-time on a weekly or semiweekly basis, scheduled after players are chosen. Play By Post will not be used.

Unless a better option is brought up (I'm not particularly well-versed in these), a dice room at Roll20 will be used for rolling, possibly for roleplaying as well. For unscheduled talk, Discord will be used. (link)

Am I forgetting something?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:26:09 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Princess: the Hopeful
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:04:35 am »

Character Creation

Story Seed: College students (20 - 25 years old) in the 1980's protect London from the Darkness and evil/misguided cults in an episodic manner, mostly by investigating and fighting them directly, as well as inspiring the regular folk, all the while managing civilian lives of studies and part-time work. This will eventually form a coherent main plotline. Combat won't be too common, but traits relating to it will likely be necessary. Traits relating to either investigation or leadership will also be of use. Skilled roleplaying will be rewarded more than optimized characters.

Simplified version, for those who don't like numbers and/or are overwhelmed by the system: Describe to me a college student and their life both past and present, and I will build a character for you. You may tweak it afterwards or reject it entirely.

For a more elaborate and custom character: Pull a New World of Darkness sheet from Mythweavers, then follow the rulebook starting from page 16 until Step Seven. You may want use the Princess sheet available for download at the game's page for help with the different fields. Once you've selected your Skill Specialities, save your sheet and share it with me. You may look at the next steps, but let them be for now.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 11:33:18 pm by IcyTea31 »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Princess: the Hopeful
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 07:05:11 am »

Reserved.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Princess: the Hopeful - IcyTea31's London
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:49:28 am »

Posting to make a character. Eventually. Once work stops being in the way.

EDIT: Question. Can we pick from all the queens or only the five sane non-Twilight ones? Basically are Storms, Mirrors and Tears a thing we can choose from?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:03:51 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 07:50:34 am »

I'll scare up a sheet, sure. I'd more be in favor of Roll20 as the room, since I'm actually familiar with that, but I could look into Rolz as well.

Also, choosing sheets based on merit isn't usually a privilege you can afford in a live game. You tend to be lucky if you can get three or four steady players in those.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:52:59 am by Harry Baldman »

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 07:51:29 am »

time for miracle man
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 07:55:12 am »

Also, choosing sheets based on merit isn't usually a privilege you can afford in a live game. You tend to be lucky if you can get three or four steady players in those.
One can always Hope, no?
I'm just covering my bases.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 08:44:47 am »

Hm. Setting feels a little bland in concept. What kind of cults would these be that we're ostensibly fighting?

Wait, what period England are we talking? I could go for some 70s-80s London action.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 09:10:21 am »

Hm. Setting feels a little bland in concept. What kind of cults would these be that we're ostensibly fighting?
Yeah, it's bland because it's not completely done yet. The cults are pretty ill-defined, but would involve Mystery Cults, Principalities of low-Belief NPC Princesses about to lose it, and ones about less obvious objects of worship. Much also depends on what kind of characters y'all make.

Wait, what period England are we talking? I could go for some 70s-80s London action.
I was going for something resembling the late 90's (i.e. before the War on Terror but after the Soviet Union's collapse), but the setting is still malleable enough for that kind of change if several players would like it.

E: if anyone else has requests for the setting, now would be a good time to voice them, before I write myself to a corner.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:15:23 am by IcyTea31 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 09:20:44 am »

Are we there on a Campaign or just happen to have been there at the time? Is there a stated mission goal?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:14 am »

Are we there on a Campaign or just happen to have been there at the time? Is there a stated mission goal?
You'll just happen to be there as normal residents, until a Prelude session (might do this as solo sessions to get to know the characters) leads to Blossoming. Mission goal will change rapidly in the beginning, but will stabilize itself later as a main plot starts to form.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 09:29:57 am »

When's the Discord room going to be up, by the way?

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:34:46 am »

My vote is for the 90s setting
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 09:40:23 am »

When's the Discord room going to be up, by the way?
In OP, now.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 11:47:29 am »

Where do I find the rules on creation. I assume we play mortals in the oWod?
Pages: [1] 2 3