art thou with meth?

aye
- 1 (20%)
nay
- 3 (60%)
may...be
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: disabling ghosts (launch parameters)  (Read 622 times)

fonzacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
disabling ghosts (launch parameters)
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:47:30 am »

ey guys, new to the game and stuff. looks just like what i wanted, simcity (pre MMO) had a baby with minecraft. im currently having too much *cough* fun *cough* ATM.

not sure if its been suggested before or not (cant find through search) seeing how ghosts are relatively new (CMIIW), but could there be a gameplay option that disables ghosts? we do have a lot to worry about, having unnamed ghosts wreaking havoc is just too much *cough* fun *cough*. luckily we can close the game without saving unlike both games above (except for backing up minecraft saves), it makes a nice stress killer.

since there isnt an ingame option menu, a custom launch parameter could be used (which should work on windows and linux, i sort of hate mac). this new custom launch parameter should open up a ton of new gameplay option without having to dig through raws, making things simpler for gamers. lets take ' -noghost dea' as an example. that disables dorfs, elves and animals, but allows human ghosts. activating that deletes all of these ghosts, whereas disabling allows new ghosts to pop up, but doesnt affect deleted ghosts. theyre gone for good, removing gravestones is allowed. other examples could include -nosnatch, -noadopt, -nogame -nolife ;P

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: disabling ghosts (launch parameters)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 10:21:30 am »

ey guys, new to the game and stuff. looks just like what i wanted, simcity (pre MMO) had a baby with minecraft. im currently having too much *cough* fun *cough* ATM.

That would be very odd with time travel, as Minecraft is in fact a derivative of DF, appearing after it in the timestream.

not sure if its been suggested before or not (cant find through search) seeing how ghosts are relatively new (CMIIW), but could there be a gameplay option that disables ghosts? we do have a lot to worry about, having unnamed ghosts wreaking havoc is just too much *cough* fun *cough*. luckily we can close the game without saving unlike both games above (except for backing up minecraft saves), it makes a nice stress killer.

Sounds like a reasonable enough suggestion. And yes, savescumming can be calming.

since there isnt an ingame option menu, a custom launch parameter could be used (which should work on windows and linux, i sort of hate mac). this new custom launch parameter should open up a ton of new gameplay option without having to dig through raws, making things simpler for gamers. lets take ' -noghost dea' as an example. that disables dorfs, elves and animals, but allows human ghosts. activating that deletes all of these ghosts, whereas disabling allows new ghosts to pop up, but doesnt affect deleted ghosts. theyre gone for good, removing gravestones is allowed. other examples could include -nosnatch, -noadopt, -nogame -nolife ;P

Umm...

Are you aware that in the init folder of the main DF folder, d_init.txt and init.txt can be found? That is where your wanted setting can would be found.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

fonzacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: disabling ghosts (launch parameters)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 02:38:49 am »

Umm...

Are you aware that in the init folder of the main DF folder, d_init.txt and init.txt can be found? That is where your wanted setting can would be found.
[/quote]

didnt know about that, had a quick playthrough on standard then switched over to the LNP.