Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [PRODUCT_TOKEN:?]  (Read 2022 times)

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[PRODUCT_TOKEN:?]
« on: July 14, 2016, 02:59:55 pm »

Hi, modding forum!

So, it looks like we have [PRODUCT_TOKEN:XYZ] in the reaction raws now, but I'm not entirely sure how it works or what it does, and the wiki isn't shedding much light on the matter. Could anyone help point me in the right direction?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [PRODUCT_TOKEN:?]
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 10:25:27 am »

It might just be what the menu lists as the product will be when you examine the reaction.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 10:33:40 am »

There's no way to easily check in the arena, but it's only included in reactions that adventurers do in workshops (the basic carpentry shit as of right now). So does it have uses beyond that...? No clue.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 01:22:04 pm »

Did you look it up in file_changes.txt?

The wiki is really crappy for modding. Many of the tokens have very poor or flat out wrong descriptions, and some don't have any description at all. It is helpful, but not nearly as much as it could be.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 06:41:30 pm »

Did you look it up in file_changes.txt?

Christ, I've been mucking around with this game for four years, and only today do I learn that it comes with a detailed changelog.
Cheers, Milo!

For the record, file_changes reports:
"improvement products can now target products that are given [PRODUCT_TOKEN:<token>] assuming the target is above the improvement in the raw def"
Also, the scrollmaking and bookbinding reactions both make use of it, as well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So it looks like you use PRODUCT_TOKEN to assign a reagent name to a product, in order to improve it later on in the same rxn?
That does beg the question of why it's included on all the adventurer crafting stuff, but knowing Toady, they could just be a placeholder for things to come.

Would make some new rxns and test it out, buuut... it's half-past midnight after the end of a long work week, and there are half-a-dozen people getting all social-like and/or high directly under my room, so just can't be arsed right now. Sorry!
In the meantime, it looks as though omitting it won't break anything. Good enough!

EDIT: Lies! Could be arsed after all.
And yeah, that's exactly what it's used for - improving a product during the same reaction in which it gets made. No more and no less.
It's not accepted as a product token in other contexts, unfortunately, which means no crazy fractal reactions.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:00:40 pm by kiwiphoenix »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 08:26:37 pm »

So the only change is "I want to make a new product that is also improved" in ONE reaction, instead of TWO reactions, right?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 03:32:06 am »

So the only change is "I want to make a new product that is also improved" in ONE reaction, instead of TWO reactions, right?
Ja, ganz recht, nichts mehr als das. Has to be in the same reaction, too; PRODUCT_TOKENs aren't retained.
Seems strangely limited for such a novel addition - maybe Toady's planning to expand its role? Still have no idea why it's on the adventurer reactions, doesn't seem to serve any purpose there whatsoever.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 04:31:14 pm »

It's specifically for bookbinding, which requires anproduct to be made and improvements to be added simultaneously.

It's in the adv reactions because axe helves are improvements too afaik.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:50:32 am »

I've been playing with it...

Its safe to say I'm liking the new toys the great toad gave modders.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:59 am »

Please share your methods oh Holy One of the Quilted Blankets and Embroidery.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 11:54:08 am »

Here's an example :

Creates a stone slip, use the string reagent as decoration and the boulder to add pages.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »

This seems a reasonable addition for putting inscriptions onto smaller objects like mugs without having to improve every single one.

I guess you could also do it for blocks. See this example of a poster in my quote, which is a written quire (such as a informative guide of your fortress) /custom illustration of art. A step towards proper signage or something like that if you ask me.

This is a clay brick. A image is attached to it with fine quality nail. The illustration is a copy of "Do you know the mountainhome" a pig parchment quire. The prose is masterful. etc./ The superior quality wooden board has the image of two dwarves and barrel, the dwarves are laughing. The wooden panel board is studded with fine quality metal pins.

Or alternatively sculpt a functional block to resemble a gargoyle/have some kind of aesthetic feature such as a wall border or small shelf for giving rooms some flavor and improving the value.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 06:52:51 pm »

This seems a reasonable addition for putting inscriptions onto smaller objects like mugs without having to improve every single one.

I guess you could also do it for blocks. See this example of a poster in my quote, which is a written quire (such as a informative guide of your fortress) /custom illustration of art. A step towards proper signage or something like that if you ask me.

This is a clay brick. A image is attached to it with fine quality nail. The illustration is a copy of "Do you know the mountainhome" a pig parchment quire. The prose is masterful. etc./ The superior quality wooden board has the image of two dwarves and barrel, the dwarves are laughing. The wooden panel board is studded with fine quality metal pins.

Or alternatively sculpt a functional block to resemble a gargoyle/have some kind of aesthetic feature such as a wall border or small shelf for giving rooms some flavor and improving the value.

Do you have example raws for that and maybe a screen shot of how the description looks in game? I didn't think you could improve a block. I think they are unimprovable.

I think the best you could do would be to actually use bars and name the material whatever you wanted like "gargoyle embossed" so that when you built it then it would say "gargoyle embossed wall" but this would be clunky because then you could also use it for floors.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:03:56 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 02:07:12 am »

Do you have example raws for that and maybe a screen shot of how the description looks in game? I didn't think you could improve a block. I think they are unimprovable.

I think the best you could do would be to actually use bars and name the material whatever you wanted like "gargoyle embossed" so that when you built it then it would say "gargoyle embossed wall" but this would be clunky because then you could also use it for floors.

It was a mock up of a example but i'll look into making something.

Totally encouraging everyone to try it.

Besides, walking over the the faces of gargoyles/or whatever image is inscribed sounds like a very dwarfy architect thing to do, with  the connection to stone being very intimate, carving faces to make it seem alive seems natural.