Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why can't I select dwarf for adventure mode?  (Read 1672 times)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't I select dwarf for adventure mode?
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:25:57 pm »

I know there are dwarves in my world.  I started by playing fortress mode for seven game years, have 200 population, regular laison visits, etc.

I also can't select elf for adventure mode.  I get regular trading visits from them in my fortress.

What is the deal?  I can only choose several animal men or human.

Please help!  I played fortress mode all this time only to obtain and store up great equipment for a dwarf adventurer.  I must make this happen!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I select dwarf for adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:47:11 am »

the problem comes from dwarves don't have an... outsider mechanic that makes them playable normally.
the dwarf civ might be dismantled which might make playing a dwarf alot harder.
animal people get around this with a local heroes token which dumps them into nearby sites, and humans have outsider token in their raws which makes them manually able to be played in adventure mode.
elves fall under the same issue with the dwarves with no good civ site that they can start their adventurers.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:56:28 am »

I have this problem too. I created a island filled with megabeasts, watched the dwarf civilization's only fortress be destroyed, then embarked and created a new fortress. I couldn't create a dwarf adventurer, though.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 05:26:07 am »

the problem comes from dwarves don't have an... outsider mechanic that makes them playable normally.
the dwarf civ might be dismantled which might make playing a dwarf alot harder.
animal people get around this with a local heroes token which dumps them into nearby sites, and humans have outsider token in their raws which makes them manually able to be played in adventure mode.
elves fall under the same issue with the dwarves with no good civ site that they can start their adventurers.

Can I get around this by editing tokens in the raws?  I'm a little confused because the fortress I made is a perfectly good civ site.

Can I try to make my fortress a mountain home? Will that help?  Perhaps it will establish/re-establish the civ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:34:23 pm by g2knee »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 03:51:25 am »

If the dwarven civ is dead, you wont be able to choose them, same with elves. Humans have a token that makes them playable without a civ, the other civs lack this token.

So in your case the dwarven civ is extinct.

Also
Can I try to make my fortress a mountain home? Will that help?  Perhaps it will establish/re-establish the civ?

Making a fortress with the dead civ will make them playable again, yes (unless the fort dies in the two week interim between switching to adventure mode, which is likely if you don't firmly establish them)
Even then, they may still be playable if some of them are left in a refugee camp somewhere.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com