Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: 16x16 embark  (Read 10807 times)

waveclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 16x16 embark
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2016, 12:38:57 am »

I've done a few 16x16 over the years.  In the older worlds they crawled really bad. 

Right now in 43.05 they can get up to 30-50fps regularly on my system but have seen plenty of weirdness.  For instance crashing on first imigration wave was a new one with .05. Had to retire/resume to skip that wave.

One thing I really like about very large fortresses is that you can get lots of biomes every easily.  Sometimes only a tiny bit of land will have bees for honey.  Sometimes you'll get multiple rock formations with good ore, clay on one side and sand with a river on the other.  You can have a bit of evil or even snow on just half the map.  Evil biomes next to ocean biomes are touble though.  Undead whales are FUN.

Minecart systems and linked piles become really useful as resources can be spread out.  But if you even have moderate ammounts of minerals in your world a 16x16 embark doesn't even need to dig down most of the time.  Just mining visible ore and gems on the first layer and hills is enough to stuff your coffers with wealth.  Breaching a cavern can be useful for making huge tree farms, though. 

A downside is that a seige may take ages to get to your front door but also your dwarves may be stuck 300 or 400 squares away from safety.  And the caravans can take a long time if they get stuck in any forests.

If if you are lucky you might get a lair of a megabeast or other intersting features. That crashy fort I reported for imigrate trouble had a resident roc.  Pluss all it's spoils.  In the past I've seen caves leading al the way to the bottom caverns and clown houses.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 01:13:27 am »

Undead whales are indeed great, I suppose - you don't have to worry about them rotting before being butchered, and they give even more meat than normal whales.

And I wonder if current resident rocs, given they're essentially giant giant keas, will still try to steal your only anvil from wagon...

But most importantly: What sort of projects do you build on 16x16?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 09:49:30 am »

So after running my embark for a bit. The 4slfps initial seems to have stabilized around 35. Which is nice.

Metric ass ton of wildlife around though. Could hunt for days. But im just working on a small aboveground fort for now.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 06:19:54 pm »

In my eyes a 16 x 16 would be a county-sized plot of land. When you explore those big-ass cities in Adventure mode, you wind up seeing isolated sections of inhabited terrain connected by roads, rather than a single continuous settlement all the way through. It'd still be fun as Hell I bet, but not really meant for one settlement when a single big one surrounded by a dozen or so small ones would do.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 07:28:12 pm »

Castle surrounded by farming villages? Esch with its own minor fort.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »

There's that. And mining villages. And fishing villages. You can use both above and below ground, so no need to just have one kind of village. Have the forts dig down into mines, and have the surface be a mix of farms, hunting camps, and fishing shacks.

Right now your best bet is to centralize all the refinery shops inside your capital fort so the manager can reach everything he needs within an easy time frame. Then set up gathering and auto-refining (like looms) in villages close to their source material. Use burrows to keep everyone sane, and use minecarts to quickly transport materials back and forth.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 09:09:38 pm »

My thought for what ill do.

Main citadel. Has the main production area, trade depots, stockpiles, and about 1/2 the population, including nobles.

Then in the distance build a farming village. With rows of aboveground crops, and orchards. Near it would be a small fort. Perhaps 10x10. Which houses 2 squads... that are also the members of the farming community, set to alternate duty. If an attack happens. They all pull in and garrison the fort.

Similarly with a couple of other forts. Focused on fishing and farming pasture animals (hell can have hige spaces for pasture animals now)

Connect them all with some nice paved roads and a pair of minecart tracks (ship resources in mostly. But the occasional export)

Itll probably run like crap. But with 300 or so dwarves across a citadel and a few outlying villages seems fun.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 10:28:15 pm »

A 16 x 16 is built for more than 300 dwarves. I mean, you can sanely handle 2/3rds of that on a site only a quarter as big. And that's only the upper limit because most computers don't like going much higher than 200. I can safely install one hundred or more bedrooms on one level, and it doesn't take much to drop down or up levels and add more. Add in that farms and gathering are currently OP, plus livestock, and there's nothing saying you can't handle 1,000 dwarves on such a site with a little planning and a lot of micromanaging.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 11:06:36 pm »

You can sanely handle 1000 dwarves in 1x1 across 2z with everyone getting bed, table, chair and coffin, let alone 4x16 or 16x16 :P

1000 across 16x16... Every dwarf can get 23x24 tower for personal living spaces, food and booze production, training and crafting needs. Mining into the earth, you'll get 138 rocks per z-level per tower you mine - which can last for quite a long while, as Dame de la Licorne can attest.

(Hm, at 10 steps per square, a dwarf will take 9 days to walk from one corner to another - or around the same time as walking through a single 48x48 size single-wide tunnel that snakes from one edge to other.)

One potential megaproject idea: dig a spiral around the entire embark with center of spiral acting as entrance. An invading army will have to walk ~288800 tiles, assuming you kept 4 off from the map edge - which should take them over 7 in-game years at dwarf walking speed.

See how many different attackers you can fit in.

Heck, if you layer several, you can use old age as defensive weapon against human armies. (Though you may not get to see all of them at once.)

(Also, that's longer than my home country is wide at it's widest point...Sheesh.)

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 10:16:28 am »

1000 dwarves will probably take well into the next few patches worth of time. Getting a few hundred by then is probably the most ill do.

My plan was the citadel would have about 100-150 living in it. Then 40-50 per village. Making new villages all the way.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 04:17:22 pm »

Did we get a world gen seed for this? I might partake in the challenge of a 16x16 with almost no caves/layers.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2016, 04:30:53 pm »

World gen seed for what, exactly?

Toady never gives world gen seed if you want to ask him, but tbh I'm unsure of what you want tbh that doesn't fit on last page.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2016, 05:15:48 pm »

I generated a 16x16 embark last night. Then I promptly went to sleep without actually doing anything other than leave it paused and scope out the embark site. Looks decent, big mountain, volcano, river (frozen though), trees.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2016, 05:43:30 pm »

World gen seed for what, exactly?

Toady never gives world gen seed if you want to ask him, but tbh I'm unsure of what you want tbh that doesn't fit on last page.

I have been on and off watching this thread. Someone mentioned making a world that was largely devoid of caves and such. I was curious if they made it and if they were sharing the world generation seed.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2016, 06:19:39 pm »

I have been on and off watching this thread. Someone mentioned making a world that was largely devoid of caves and such. I was curious if they made it and if they were sharing the world generation seed.
Uh, if you mean a thin world with 1 cavern, I posted one 4 posts after your post on previous page?

But if you mean a world with no caverns, there's no worldgen seeds that mod your dwarves to not require underground crops. You need to adjust that yourself.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5