Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 16x16 embark  (Read 10810 times)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 16x16 embark
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 08:45:08 pm »

If this is going to be a serious attempt at a 16*16 I'd suggest genning a custom world.
A very shallow one, 20z from the top of the highest hill, down to magma. MAX.
Might even need to lose the caverns, but maybe not.
Make the embark as flat as you can, 3z should be ok.
 Then just start thinking horizontal,  not vertical,  and you're set.
For the sake of whatever sanity you have left, get whatever plugin it is that allows you to zoom out/in. Set it to mouse wheel. Zoom way the f out, click near where you want, zoom in. Screw that scrolling around crap.
When I was a noob I played 9*9's, I slowly settled down to 6*6.
I'm still on 40.19 trying to reach Anvillocked's goal of 1000 adult dwarves, and I'm dying to upgrade, but its gonna be a while. Low framerate and no migrants is killing me. 991 total pop. Just need about 20 more babies, and 12 years game time and then I can kill them all.
At the current rate I'll be done by Christmas!! (Maybe)

I know my 6*6 is 288*288 tiles, how many in a 16*16?

Good luck,
           Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:39 pm »

If you lose all the caverns/layers and make dwarves embark on any land, I think you might be able to manage something like 7 layers of stone/soil to build on, which should be less than half the tiles of 20+ layers. If you settle in a place with 0 rainfall/vegetation/trees, I wonder how well it'd compare to 112-layer 4x4?

16*16 is 16^2*48^2=589824 tiles. I hope you'll publish Anvillocked in detail with both screenshots and on map archive, what I've heard has been grandiose.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 12:09:19 am »

I'm not good with math, but. I think you're saying a 16*16 is 768 tiles per side.
Truely a fearsome beast!!

After growing Anvillocked for 19 months, I'm in serious need of !!fun!!. But I'll gladly let others break the 16*16 ground for me ;)

I only use my phone to post to the forums, and posting images here is beyond me.
I do have some screenshots on my phone, wich plop right into emails, but I need someone to pm me thier email address, so they can post them for me.
They can even title the thread. The proof!! Goatmaan IS crazy. :P

As for posting the save....1000 adults or last stable save.
"If" I get that far I may do 3 saves...1000 adults (safe), 1000 ready for hfs, and you vs Goatmaan's hfs (tantrum spiral)
Anvilocked only fears 2 things. Tantrum spiral and a squad limit.
What about FPS death, you ask?  No such thing exists.  8)

Goatmaan

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:45 am »

Yup. Another way to look at it is that 16x16 is 1536m on it's side, with 2,36 km^2 square area.

...Still too small to reproduce Laputa 1:1 (4,5 km diameter, so about 3 region tiles - though, 60z thick slab of adamantine might slow down things furthermore), but enough to fit some college campuses.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 10:08:31 am »

Genning a world. Decided waiting is for chumps.

My target is going to be a plains-esque area with at least 2 rivers meeting somewhere in it.

Ungweliante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 03:05:18 pm »

Has anyone attempted a full embark to see if it was possible yet? Does the game still crash? How slow was it compared to your normal embark?

I remember trying this a while ago. Clearing out all plants with DFHack raised FPS _significantly_.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 03:45:58 pm »

Has anyone attempted a full embark to see if it was possible yet? Does the game still crash? How slow was it compared to your normal embark?

I remember trying this a while ago. Clearing out all plants with DFHack raised FPS _significantly_.

Except, I do not think DFhack is out for the new release.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Ungweliante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 04:15:02 pm »

Except, I do not think DFhack is out for the new release.

Yeah, of course it was with an old version. I misunderstood the thread.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 05:51:41 pm »

Hmm after many tries  i think ima have to go to 1 cavern. And gen it so that the world is as thin as possible. I can get a 12x12 with 60 layers. But even with only 40 layers i die on loading with a 14x14.

I wanna do the 16x16 seur baddd.

Time to go finally spend the time to learn how to use the worldgen parameters

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 06:02:57 pm »

You could drop Vjek a note....maybe he already has something, or can tell you how.

Goatmaan

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 08:04:48 pm »

"already has something" is an undestatement :P When not specified otherwise pretty much every world vjek gens is pretty similar to that, expect less vegetation. Check worldgen threads :p

*inserts some parameters for 3x3*

Huh, it seems DF will gen 17x17 anyway and not mind the only partial pre-set values....With rest of the world being the deepest ocean possible, resulting in an embark that is just incredibly fat.

Anyway, I'm not vjek, but have a thin(151-139 from top of sky to bottom with two rivers crossing) vanilla world:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Paste into your world gen txt and fire if it's something you want :P (Or just lower layer counts on ones in worldgen cookbook threads, or megabeast count here for longer alive history.)

EDIT: Hm, seems like I can embark on 16x16 rocky wasteland on 454,4 MB on the above (647 with running dfhack's reveal hell and getting 136 wildlife on map seconds after embark, about 135 more for VM-size) in 42.06 at 85 FPS (on my laptop).

Yes, the embark was 16x16 - I counted 77 shift-arrows to double-check I didn't screw up when I saw the memory usage.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:33:40 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 09:32:42 pm »

^ magnificent.

I got a 16x16 myself with some messing.

Its a mostly flat warm plains that has a forest hill area to the north east that has some surface showing hematite. A spattering of ponds. A lake to the south east. A fair amount of trees and bushes through the middle and northeast. 3 rivers come from north west and west and all meet in the lake. Oh yeah and an aquifer. Cause i forgot to shut that off.

Actually a fairly nice spawn if i do say so myself. Make sure its saved. Reopen it. Hit space to unpause...... mother of armok.

Well im at 4fps... which im kay with. What im not kay with are the 30 elephants and 500 other wildlife. (Almost half fish though)
The carp alone take up a whole page.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 09:39:08 pm »

May I ask why you counted 77 shift arrows?

I count by hitting d and choose mine, put the cursor where I want, hit enter, and move the cursor ...lower right gives dementions.....1*288. Don't hit enter again, just escape out.

Or is that part of dfhack that isn't in vanilla?

Goatmaan

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 09:46:35 pm »

I forgot I could do that because I almost never look there - usually count by eye/hand :P

And 4 FPS, yikes. Water and trees on 16x16, you should learn to love slow-motion combat XD

(Okay, a lake that you can't see the edges off but can build a fishing village on is still incredibly cool.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:48:14 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:36 pm »

Yea, a map that size you probably should have skipped the rivers  :P

4 fps? I'm jealous. I slaughtered 200+ sheep/llamas/goats and got back 1 fps, now at 3  :o
Yes, I'm used to slow mo everything!!

Goatmaan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5