Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394224 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18060 on: January 22, 2017, 06:58:27 am »

That makes no sense. The dollars he would steal would lose comparable value.

Historical note: Wheelbarrows full of german marks to buy one loaf of bread at the end of WW2

That was WWI not WWII. But it wasn't a direct result of the war, it occured after Germany had to start war reparations in 1921. Basically they were required to pay back a huge sum of money in foreign currency, but they didn't have any gold reserves, so they had to resort to printing tons of money and buying foreign currency to pay the war reparations. So it really wasn't anything to do with the German economy per se. In fact since the front was in France and Poland, German industry was relatively unscathed from the war. But because of the reparation obligations they had to destroy their own currency or get invaded.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:07:17 am by Reelya »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18061 on: January 22, 2017, 07:31:54 am »

Can't the press secretary be arrested for what he did? Something something constitution something something protect press freedom?
Or based on the Terrorism Act. Something something trying to damage democracy something?
He'd just say that he acted under direct Presidential orders, duh. And President cannot be arrested.
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18062 on: January 22, 2017, 08:04:18 am »

Anyway here's an aerial shot of the Trump inauguration crowd (left) vs Obama's (right):

I's say over twice as many people turned up for Obama vs Trump.

Daily News put it as 1.4 million for Obama, 250,000 for Trump. It's not twice as many people showed up for Obama, it's nearly 6 times as many people.

Can't the press secretary be arrested for what he did? Something something constitution something something protect press freedom?
Or based on the Terrorism Act. Something something trying to damage democracy something?
He'd just say that he acted under direct Presidential orders, duh. And President cannot be arrested.

From the same page of the Daily News that I got the attendance figures above, Trump is possibly on a fast track to impeachment though. Depending on how well he can cover up his foreign business bribes deals, his perjuries from his many, many lawsuits, and his cover ups of his cover ups, that is.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18063 on: January 22, 2017, 08:09:04 am »

I doubt Republicans will impeach Trump so soon, they first need to invade Iran and have someone take the blame for the brutal warfare that would ensue.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18064 on: January 22, 2017, 08:18:52 am »

I's say over twice as many people turned up for Obama vs Trump.

Daily News put it as 1.4 million for Obama, 250,000 for Trump. It's not twice as many people showed up for Obama, it's nearly 6 times as many people.

And 6 times is over twice as many, which is what I said.

But Trump had a bigger crowd where it counts. What do you think the combine income of the people who turned up for Trump was vs the Obama ones. Sure, Obama might have got all his inbred hillbilly cousins to turn up, but Trump got proper Americans.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18065 on: January 22, 2017, 08:40:10 am »

An investor panic will drop the major US exchanges, which will rapidly devalue the dollar, leading to a lending panic.

where I heard that before? ah right, brexit. http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/indices/summary/summary-indices.html?index=NMX  ???

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18066 on: January 22, 2017, 09:54:21 am »

I doubt Republicans will impeach Trump so soon, they first need to invade Iran and have someone take the blame for the brutal warfare that would ensue.

You forget. Pence is next in line, followed by Paul Ryan. Both very good party line Republicans who'd love to have the top seat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18067 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14:59 am »

Spicer isn't going to be arrested for what he did, but he's definetly damaged his own professional integrity from the start.

The official press conference on Monday will be interesting for sure.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18068 on: January 22, 2017, 10:49:07 am »

You forget. Pence is next in line, followed by Paul Ryan. Both very good party line Republicans who'd love to have the top seat.
I doubt these people want to be seen as responsible for killing thousands of American soldiers in a war against the Persians.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18069 on: January 22, 2017, 10:56:44 am »

I doubt these people want to be seen as responsible for killing thousands of American soldiers in a war against the Persians.

A fight with Iran is probably more likely to be a naval and missile fight. But yeah, a ground war would be nasty and bloody. And they would have the home advantage of being in a defensive rather than an offensive position.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18070 on: January 22, 2017, 11:18:57 am »

Wtf Republicans also want war with Iran? How did both parties become committed to that, you guys need to sort out your donors

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18071 on: January 22, 2017, 11:22:58 am »

Wtf Republicans also want war with Iran? How did both parties become committed to that, you guys need to sort out your donors
Wait, I thought it was the Republicans who were the warhawks. Democrats want it too?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18072 on: January 22, 2017, 11:26:35 am »

Wait, I thought it was the Republicans who were the warhawks. Democrats want it too?
I don't recall Democrats being hawkish on Iran.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18073 on: January 22, 2017, 11:27:53 am »

I feel like shorting the US dollar, but I'm not exactly sure what to short it against. No good taking my earnings in said US dollar; who knows what currency won't be tanked alongside?
Salt and matches.
I was going to say precious metals and canned food, but maybe I'm an optimist.  Precious metals do have inherent value though (as long as there's industry, at least).

This is what I was thinking at first, but now I'm pretty sure they want him as a scapegoat first.  Look at the Bush presidency - Republicans are clearly fine with a dunce in the big chair, as long as they get their policy through.

Are you under the impression that Republicans are controlling Trump? That's definitely against the evidence. The evidence points against Trump having any sort of republican pulling the strings behind him. Maybe Russians or something, but definitely not someone a US legislator of any sort.

To wit:
Paul Ryan invited Donald Trump’s most senior advisers to Capitol Hill a week ago to head off a quiet tug-of-war between congressional Republicans and Trump officials over tax reform. For more than two hours, the speaker laid out his alternative to Trump’s plan to slap tariffs on companies that move jobs overseas, which he believed would encourage companies to stay in the U.S.

But not even a week later, Trump dismissed Ryan’s idea, calling it “too complicated.” And now Ryan is left with a potential trillion-dollar hole in his tax plan.

I do recommend reading the article. It shows off one of, in fact I'd bet the most important issue we'll see in the next four years. In fact, I'd bet anyone $20 that the most fundamental, consequential question in how the Trump Administration is looking after the 100 days Camelot media-fest is over will be "What will happen between Trump and Congressional Republicans?" That question - and whether Trump defers to them or vice versa, or whether they end up at war, and how democrats figure into it - will be the single most important thing that will define the Trump Administration. Calling it right now. I'd say the odds of Trump taking a conciliatory approach is close to nil; meaning the ball is in the Republicans court for whether, and how much, they will tolerate his antics.
It's possible.  Trump definitely wants to go against some Republican policies.  I just think that they could impeach him easily, if they want, maybe even get goodwill from the voters by doing so.  Scandal only made him more successful in the election, but impeachment doesn't work that way.  He made the most powerful people in the country very, very upset...  And gave them sufficient pretense to get rid of him, legally.

But they're powerful because they play the long game.  Why impeach him, if they can use him to take the blame?  It won't (look like) the Republicans who destroy health care, enrich the rich, and destroy the middle class...  Trump was the president, and they are on record as being against him tooth and nail.  A perfect scapegoat.

No matter that it's Congress that passes legislation.  Even when people understand that, the President gets credit because he's the one big celebrity.  The face of government.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18074 on: January 22, 2017, 11:28:54 am »

No, not really. At the absolute least they'd certainly prefer a diplomatic solution to things in that area, whereas the republicans, well. Glassing is part of their campaigning vocabulary. Ninja'd a bit, but eh.

You haven't really been paying attention to the republican party/american conservatives over the last... uh. Longer than I've been alive. Then :V

Somewhat less tongue in cheek, by and large both the politicians in question and their constituency doesn't really pay that much attention to long term concerns, particularly when it comes to military force projection. It's pretty doubtful they'd claim or assign responsibility for the theoretical fatalities being considered. And if it really came into focus, you'd mostly just hear a lot of babbling about patriotic sacrifice and maintaining the free world and etc., etc., etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207 ... 1249