Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389081 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17730 on: January 19, 2017, 04:01:08 am »

Can you provide a non-tabloid source for this?

I know Murdoch press (New York Post, FOX News) is rubbish, but if they are producing an anti-Republican story then it's hard to state that it's liberal press bias.

The Post has been criticized since the beginning of Murdoch's ownership for sensationalism, blatant advocacy, and conservative bias.

It's kind of ironic that conservatives label the conservative press fake news whenever it tells a story they don't want to hear ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:07:05 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17731 on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:25 am »

Being anti-Republican isn't convincing for me, Murdochzone biases aside they are very often in the same bracket as Daily Mail, i.e. "what made up but pandering to secret fears story would drive the most traffic". It's the precursor to clickbait, only exceeded by the apotheosis of Buzzfeed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17732 on: January 19, 2017, 04:28:55 am »

Well people should really just google the story themselves before attacking sources. It's on the Washington Post as well. It takes less than a minute to check yourself, much less than typing in the comment arguing about sources. "Oh I don't like that source" is lazy whereas "I looked up that story and couldn't find any better sources" is a better argument.

I have news.com.au in my feed, since it's the biggest mainstream news aggregator here in Australia.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2017/01/17/hair-stylists-snub-to-marla-maples-no-free-services-in-exchange-for-inauguration-day-exposure/

I mean, unless we're going to make a rule that every fact is automatically doubted unless the poster provides at least three independent sources ...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:33:26 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17733 on: January 19, 2017, 04:36:02 am »

I figured no one looked it up because it is "Fake news" :P

Well ok more specifically it is nothing news. Some celebrity trying to throw their weight around for free stuff.

Heck it isn't even a blip on the radar next to Trump who treats "Conflict of interest" as non-existent.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17734 on: January 19, 2017, 04:42:27 am »

Easy there killer, I'm pretending to be about to be responsible and try to sleep instead of caving to insomnia, actually doing research at 4am would be admitting the inevitable.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17735 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:55 pm »

Buzzfeed was alway crap, but this time, they, and CNN, are getting jumped because they aren't bending over for Trump and blindly repeating whatever he says. The "lying poo" in this case has, is, and probably will be Trump and his lackeys.
The centipede strikes the viper for the viper refuses to obey, that does not change the fact that the nature of both is venomous fangs, and it is pleasing to watch them bleed dollars. Fingers crossed, Buzzfeed and CNN gonna get gawkered in current year +2
I would prefer the casus legitation-i be something more defamatory than reporting facts.  *cough*
So would I, but Americans are very content to defend their corrupt lying media when it supports the people explo- I mean, people representing them. Thus any consequential casus belli is welcome, maybe after Buzzfeed and CNN democrats and republicans can go for fox news afterwards with bipartisan hope

I mean, unless we're going to make a rule that every fact is automatically doubted unless the poster provides at least three independent sources ...
Sources as news media is insufficient, 1 source of evidence is sufficient
Take for example the allegations of presidents, prostitutes, putin and piss. Lots of people posting news sources talking about how legit these allegations are, they're the most legit allegations, they're so true these allegations omg literally can't even, but not a single shred of evidence, the dossier coming from this guy's peeps with the anons convinced that poor Rick got swindled by a larping anon

By all accounts, Mr. Steele has an excellent reputation with American and British intelligence colleagues and had done work for the F.B.I. on the investigation of bribery at FIFA, soccer’s global governing body. Colleagues say he was acutely aware of the danger he and his associates were being fed Russian disinformation. Russian intelligence had mounted a complex hacking operation to damage Mrs. Clinton, and a similar operation against Mr. Trump was possible.

But much of what he was told, and passed on to Fusion GPS, was very difficult to check. And some of the claims that can be checked seem problematic. Mr. Cohen, for instance, said on Twitter on Tuesday night that he has never been in Prague; Mr. Solodukhin, his purported Russian contact, denied in a telephone interview that he had ever met Mr. Cohen or anyone associated with Mr. Trump. The president-elect on Wednesday cited news reports that a different Michael Cohen with no Trump ties may have visited Prague and that the two Cohens might have been mixed up in Mr. Steele’s reports.

But word of a dossier had begun to spread through political circles. Rick Wilson, a Republican political operative who was working for a super PAC supporting Marco Rubio, said he heard about it in July, when an investigative reporter for a major news network called him to ask what he knew.

By early fall, some of Mr. Steele’s memos had been given to the F.B.I., which was already investigating Mr. Trump’s Russian ties, and to journalists. An MI6 official, whose job does not permit him to be quoted by name, said that in late summer or early fall, Mr. Steele also passed the reports he had prepared on Mr. Trump and Russia to British intelligence. Mr. Steele was concerned about what he was hearing about Mr. Trump, and he thought that the information should not be solely in the hands of people looking to win a political contest.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-intelligence.html?_r=0
With no one questioning unverified information coming from people with axes to grind because they have common enemies

I have seen this exact thing before in the UK with the David Hameron scandal, there was no evidence that the Prime Minister shagged a pig's head, there's no evidence he was even a member of the pig shagging society in question, the source in question was someone reputable (but unnamed) speaking through a political opponent of the accused and it was all spread by respectable mainstream news stations.

And it was fucking hilarious.

Untrue, to be sure by all metrics of truth, but it was useful and have some words from our current crazy lefty on the whole thing

Jeremy Corbyn has today spoken out for the first time since the infamous ‘piggate‘ scandal emerged this week, saying the furore risked overshadowing “real issues”.

The newly elected Labour leader blasted media outlets for carrying claims about David Cameron’s university frolics that circulated among newspapers and on social media, criticising journalists for having become obsessed with “personality politics”.

He claimed this week’s treatment of the accusations had diminished the scrutiny afforded to other more important topics.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

“The media treatment of any politician unsubstantiated allegations, be it David Cameron, me or anyone else is wrong,” Corbyn told ITV News on Thursday.

“Too much of our media is obsessed with personality politics, obsessed with personal criticism of politicians and therefore detracting from very serious issues around housing, living standards, jobs or world peace.”
"Respectable media" is something transient, respect more often than not is just based on what looks respectable. People want someone in a business suit to tell them what to believe in, other people want to see the ocular proof and tell the business suit people they're bellends who deserve the decline of their medium
subtle social commentary

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17736 on: January 19, 2017, 01:37:41 pm »

PROPOSAL: Merge the American Politics thread with the Warhammer 40k thread due to overwhelming similarities in content and decorum.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17737 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »

PROPOSAL: Merge the American Politics thread with the Warhammer 40k thread due to overwhelming similarities in content and decorum.

Waaagh! For Trump and 'Murrica!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17738 on: January 19, 2017, 03:11:48 pm »

The oranj onez lie bettah!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17740 on: January 19, 2017, 03:29:53 pm »

This is even weirder than the conspiracy theory that Clinton had him killed during the election.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17741 on: January 19, 2017, 03:30:55 pm »

Assange has backflipped on the backflip. Now he's says he's ok with being extradited.
He should feel somewhat safe coming to the US. I mean he's charged for groping in Sweden. Surely that must create some bond between him and Trump.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17742 on: January 19, 2017, 03:36:59 pm »

This may end up being like the Sweden case, as it so happens. In his statement Assange said he'd agree to extradition as long as the US swore to protect his human rights. He's said he's willing to stand trial in Sweden for years, so long as Sweden swears not to extradite him.

To a degree I respect this in spite of him being a Russian shill, nobody should be expected to deliver themselves to be black bagged and tortured to death in Poland, regardless of what he may or may not have done.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17743 on: January 19, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »

To a degree I respect this in spite of him being a Russian shill, nobody should be expected to deliver themselves to be black bagged and tortured to death in Poland, regardless of what he may or may not have done.

Heck many countries are willing to provide amnesty for some crimes so long as the home country is particularly harsh.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17744 on: January 19, 2017, 03:46:06 pm »

Yep, simple example would be that most EU countries will never extradite someone who is at risk of getting the death penalty. That includes the US. A serial killer escaping to the Netherlands would not be extradited. He would most likely be brought to trial for his crimes in the Netherlands though, and put away for life, but it would be legally impossible to extradite, because he could face death penalty.

Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1249