Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387625 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17175 on: January 11, 2017, 10:31:39 pm »

This is why you shouldn't really just generalize. You get less awkward situations.
I didn't expect to post this much in the ameripol thread tonight. Just shitpost harmlessly a bit and leave.

Remember kids, don't shitpost.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17176 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:43 pm »

Remember kids, don't shitpost. shitpost responsibly.

ftfy
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17177 on: January 12, 2017, 12:00:21 am »

Abstinence is best, kids, but if you really gotta do it, put a shitfilter on your e-peen. (Wait, no, that's the wrong body part...)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17178 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:28 am »

Flame retardant gloves.

Yes. Flame retardant gloves.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17179 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:43 am »

You ableist. Stop using those slurs. :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17180 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:09 am »

Now this is getting interesting.

...We also discussed the private security company document, which was widely circulated in recent months among the media, members of Congress and Congressional staff even before the IC became aware of it. I emphasized that this document is not a U.S. Intelligence Community product and that I do not believe the leaks came from within the IC.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17181 on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:49 am »

Now this is getting interesting.

...We also discussed the private security company document, which was widely circulated in recent months among the media, members of Congress and Congressional staff even before the IC became aware of it. I emphasized that this document is not a U.S. Intelligence Community product and that I do not believe the leaks came from within the IC.

Which thing are we talking about? The whole allegations of Russia having compromising information that buzzfeed leaked? That was all started by a former British M16 (the British spy agency) agent, so, that one definetly didn't come from the US intel community.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17182 on: January 12, 2017, 02:20:33 am »

Which is funny. If the conservatives were the ones losing and only Trump could bring them back, shouldn't the country have way more liberal policies? And shouldn't Trump has just not won?

To be fair, Trump did lose in a landslide. Just our history of compromise with slavers has come back again to bite us in the ass.

that's factually not true. getting votes is an optimization problem and he optimized his campaign according to the rules, exactly as the other candidate did. different rules, different optimizations would have been made to the campaign.

Trump received 3 million fewer votes than his opponent. The fact he won the election because reasons does not change that.

yes, and yet that doesn't make it a 'landslide loss'. it's like being first in a regularity race - it doesn't mean a thing if you don't follow the timetable, and doesn't mean that the one who was closest to the timetable 'lost' because you were fastest.

That's a pretty poor equivalency.

Trump won because he won the right states. It's more like Connect Four than a regularity race. Doesn't matter how many pieces you put in the wee thing, if you don't get four in a row, you won't win...

Anyway, politics is a popularity contest. Trump lost that contest, and won on a technicality.

"but racing ought to be a speed contest!"

"yes, it usually is, this time tho it was a regularity contest, the rules aren't the best but everyone ran with those in mind"

"but my car was the fastest! you're all losers!"

"well, nobody was racing the clock, they understood the game and were scoring precise timing, because that's what we all agreed would have decided the winner"

"but I scored the best lap!"

"yes, noone else was driving their car as fast, maybe next time we'll race a speed race, and we'll see when everyone pushes for hard laps who has the fastest car"

"but my car was fastest *this race*"

it seems pretty spot on actually

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17183 on: January 12, 2017, 02:23:28 am »

Neo isn't being facetious, this is just another entry in his aggressive roleplaying of his view of the conservative zeitgeist. This has been going on for a few months now. I can't even remember the last time he posted something for real.

Honestly I wasn't roleplaying... but I thought I was being a looooooooot more transparent then I ended up being.

Also yes, Trump did say exactly that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17184 on: January 12, 2017, 02:57:47 am »

@LoSboccacc

Except the candidates weren't looking to receive a specific number of votes in a certain amount of time, they were looking to receive as many votes as they could get, in specific places.

Trump was able to do that better, but was trumped - hoho - overall by his opponent, which is the initial point PTTG made. He won because of the system, not because more people like him... or, as was apparently the case this election cycle, because fewer people disliked him, like in a sensible system.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17185 on: January 12, 2017, 04:42:25 am »

Which thing are we talking about? The whole allegations of Russia having compromising information that buzzfeed leaked? That was all started by a former British M16 (the British spy agency) agent, so, that one definetly didn't come from the US intel community.
It kindof does. Said former MI6 agent (who has now gone into hiding after his name was published) has a private investigations bureau, which was initially hired by a bureau in Washington to dig up dirt on candidate Trump. Initially it was even funded by Republicans that wanted to stop Trump from becoming president.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #17186 on: January 12, 2017, 04:47:05 am »

Trump won because according to the rules he won.

The rules are pretty standard for a federation : each members got a share of the vote, proportional but not directly proportional to their population.
For all the ridicule you're giving to the argument "the election were rigged we won the popular vote" you aren't behaving any better by insisting that the election "ought to be proportional" for no reasons.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17187 on: January 12, 2017, 05:39:08 am »

Trump won because according to the rules he won.

The rules are pretty standard for a federation : each members got a share of the vote, proportional but not directly proportional to their population.
For all the ridicule you're giving to the argument "the election were rigged we won the popular vote" you aren't behaving any better by insisting that the election "ought to be proportional" for no reasons.

The only reason it isn't proportional is because in 18th-century southerners would have torn the country apart if they didn't get to use their slaves as political pawns even as they stole their lives. The electoral college is a vestige of that, and nothing more.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #17188 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:07 am »

The only reason it isn't proportional is because in 18th-century southerners would have torn the country apart if they didn't get to use their slaves as political pawns even as they stole their lives. The electoral college is a vestige of that, and nothing more.

The electoral college is irrelevant since it's basically a number of vote for each states.

The fact that the number of vote each state has doesn't directly matches the population of the state is normal.
In Europe, the number of representative you get isn't proportional to the population of each countries either. That's a pretty obvious step you have to take if you don't want the most populous members of the union lording too much over the smaller ones.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17189 on: January 12, 2017, 08:30:36 am »

The electoral college is irrelevant since it's basically a number of vote for each states.
The fact that the number of vote each state has doesn't directly matches the population of the state is normal.
In Europe, the number of representative you get isn't proportional to the population of each countries either. That's a pretty obvious step you have to take if you don't want the most populous members of the union lording too much over the smaller ones.
EU is made up of nations full of different, paranoid people. USA is made up of states full of same people, trusting people

You can get away with fairer systems in USA
Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1249