Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388230 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #16965 on: January 08, 2017, 11:17:39 am »

Regardless, I'm still curious as to how it would have looked if it did go poportional.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16966 on: January 08, 2017, 11:20:01 am »

If all states dished out collage votes proportionally, or if all states had proportional college vots?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16967 on: January 08, 2017, 11:26:32 am »

If all states dished out collage votes proportionally, or if all states had proportional college vots?

What's a collage vote? heh. And aren't those two the same thing, just saying it in two different ways? Though yes, if the EC votes were given out poportionally by state. They'd have to set some kind of national threshold for the third party votes though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:29:19 am by smjjames »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16968 on: January 08, 2017, 11:32:02 am »

Regardless, I'm still curious as to how it would have looked if it did go poportional.

probably a lot more moderate Trump on certain issues, and decisively different campaigns stops. Same for Hillary.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16969 on: January 08, 2017, 11:50:10 am »

The EC currently does two things:

• Smaller states have more impact per capita
  • Winner-takes-all per state

As a result of this, swing states are important, and solid states are less important, to win the presidential election. If states distributed their electoral college votes proportional to the percentage of the population that voted for each candidate, it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be far better - Democrats in Texas have actual voting power now, and swing states aren't as influential.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16970 on: January 08, 2017, 11:54:29 am »

I should state that Rich ultra-populated solid states are still important. They will still campaign there... for funding.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16971 on: January 08, 2017, 12:39:58 pm »

Have read replies and love them but too busy to reply now

As penance I offer sexual attraction to politics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16972 on: January 08, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »

Seems like you want to stack the money and power in favour of the city and ensure their dominance forever, ensuring the middle class forever have control over the USA
I don't see why that's supposed to be bad. Cities are where our civilization comes from. Most good things are already produced in cities, and in cities only. Technology, economy, culture... rural areas are really only good for food, and that's also something that's being worked upon. Why would anyone want to give them dominance?

sure who cares about them, about their life, their goals and their aspiration. let them live in poverty, ignorance and labor forever, while we live the good city life. We gonna eat plastic plants when the last of them moves to enjoy the cityes. /s

This is such a boring discussion, of course the rural population has an important role in society. EVERYONE does.

The question is why a single rural dweller should have more representation than a single city dweller.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16973 on: January 08, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »

Yes but that is a red herring in it of itself because Rural people are not well represented in the current American political system.

It is something people WANT the EC to do, but that just isn't what occurs.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16974 on: January 08, 2017, 03:25:37 pm »

Yes but that is a red herring in it of itself because Rural people are not well represented in the current American political system.

well according to the self anointed intellectual elites rednecks just won, can't claim both :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16975 on: January 08, 2017, 03:30:49 pm »

well according to the self anointed intellectual elites rednecks just won, can't claim both :P
No matter where you are in the world, being the "intellectual elite" does not mean being the political elite.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16976 on: January 08, 2017, 03:32:58 pm »

No matter where you are in the world, being the "intellectual elite" does not mean being the political elite.

You know... I wouldn't mind the term "Red Neck" if it was just a funny jab at southern farmers because they, at least in your mind, get sunburned.

The fact that Redneck means a LOT of things including "All of the south" or "Uneducated southern person"...

Lets just say it brings up a LOT of... unfortunate implications that your immediate response is "Rednecks are all rural people!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16977 on: January 08, 2017, 03:49:07 pm »

UK and USA does
Educates most of the world's leaders in Ivy & Russel league

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16978 on: January 08, 2017, 04:05:00 pm »

You know... I wouldn't mind the term "Red Neck" if it was just a funny jab at southern farmers because they, at least in your mind, get sunburned.

The fact that Redneck means a LOT of things including "All of the south" or "Uneducated southern person"...

Lets just say it brings up a LOT of... unfortunate implications that your immediate response is "Rednecks are all rural people!"
Are you saying this about my response or LoSboccacc? I suspect the latter, because I never mentioned the rednecks themselves or rural people in general. But I'd rather be sure.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16979 on: January 08, 2017, 04:34:21 pm »

-quote pyramid snip-

Are you saying this about my response or LoSboccacc? I suspect the latter, because I never mentioned the rednecks themselves or rural people in general. But I'd rather be sure.

It's definetly at LoSboccacc. The quote pyramid does make it a bit hard to see who said what.

-quote pyramid snip-

LoSboccacc is Italian, not American, so, there may be a misunderstanding here, cultural or linguistic, on the term.
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 1249