Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392908 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15315 on: December 08, 2016, 04:22:02 pm »

Okay. I like Canada.

But I might need to move to Germany or something, just because air pollution isn't something bound by national borders.

Fuckin' stop stinkin' up the continent, AMERICA.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15316 on: December 08, 2016, 05:44:08 pm »

Whenever I read all this stuff about the alleged possibility of the EC essentially throwing a giant hissy fit and refusing to elect Trump, it just makes me hope that if my side had lost, we'd have been a bit less... am-dram about it.
Assuming (maybe wrongly!) you consider "your side" the one that constantly bitched about Obama, you really don't have any high ground.  Particularly when that bitching became actively undermining explicit presidential powers, like naming justices.

I feel like this was aimed at something I recently said in the WTF thread.  Either way, well referenced (;
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:45:41 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15317 on: December 08, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »

No, it was in response to
I thought chemistry was complex chemistry and biology was simple chemistry

But I guess we're all in a bio/chem mood today!

(Also I've read xkcd enough that I just have an innate sense of "there's an xkcd for that", it's weird. It's almost a fifteenth sense.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15318 on: December 08, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »

Commander Shepard lives
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15319 on: December 08, 2016, 06:02:09 pm »

"Politics"
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15320 on: December 08, 2016, 06:09:29 pm »

But I guess we're all in a bio/chem mood today!
i have a biochem test i need to study for next week

and also a stats one x-x
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15322 on: December 08, 2016, 06:55:14 pm »

Well America... you asked for a Trump's America and now you are getting it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15323 on: December 08, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »

To be fair, some portion of American voters asked for that.  Of course, that holds true for just about everything in the world, even if that "some portion" is just a dictator or something.

That aside - should we be focusing on eliminating the deficit and paying back some of the debt? Curious to hear what folks think on that one. I have absolutely no idea myself, because sovereign debt is such a bizarro construct in the first place.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15324 on: December 08, 2016, 07:11:06 pm »

To be fair, some portion of American voters asked for that.  Of course, that holds true for just about everything in the world, even if that "some portion" is just a dictator or something.

That aside - should we be focusing on eliminating the deficit and paying back some of the debt? Curious to hear what folks think on that one. I have absolutely no idea myself, because sovereign debt is such a bizarro construct in the first place.
No, and the main reason why is because this exponentially growing debt is what keeps our exponentially growing economy going. Also, because most of that debt is, IIRC, in form of the so-called "treasury bonds", which are issued for a term of 10 years and cannot be redeemed before that. America does pay on its debts, it just acquires more of it at the same time.
._.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15326 on: December 08, 2016, 07:19:57 pm »

No, and the main reason why is because this exponentially growing debt is what keeps our exponentially growing economy going.
But that's not strictly related to government debt; you could have zero public debt and still have exponentially growing economy because of the way fractional reserve works.

In fact, I've seen arguments that state that because we've only had sub-3% GDP growth the past few years even though our total debt has doubled in 8 years (roughly 9% per year), this shows that government debt growth doesn't have a very reliable influence on GDP growth.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15327 on: December 08, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »

No, and the main reason why is because this exponentially growing debt is what keeps our exponentially growing economy going.
But that's not strictly related to government debt; you could have zero public debt and still have exponentially growing economy because of the way fractional reserve works.

In fact, I've seen arguments that state that because we've only had sub-3% GDP growth the past few years even though our total debt has doubled in 8 years (roughly 9% per year), this shows that government debt growth doesn't have a very reliable influence on GDP growth.
Fractional reserve, as it is implemented in USA currently, simply multiplies the amount of money the government adds to the financial system by a factor of about 10. It doesn't do the exponential thing.

And you have to take into account that a lot of that debt is due to American government massive spending efforts to maintain the American unquestionably military, scientific and financial supremacy over the world. It may seem like a loss, but if USA were to lose said supremacy, the chain follow-up effects would be disastrous.
._.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15328 on: December 08, 2016, 07:45:45 pm »

The US government can create money without issuing debt though; that's what I meant by the fractional reserve thing, though I likely mixed up the terminology. It's been a long day.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15329 on: December 08, 2016, 07:47:27 pm »

Holy shit Trump, really? Scott Pruitt as head of EPA? The guy that has been fighting EPA decisions for years as a public attorney? The guy that is widely known for his fight against the Clean Power Plan? The guy that fights against clean air acts near parks? The guy that fought against reduction of mercury in industry emissions, and wants to ban EPA from making settlements with environmentalist groups? The guy that is basically opposed to EPA as a whole, head of EPA?
Now Pruitt must fight his most formidable opponent yet: Himself.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 1249