Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392671 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15300 on: December 08, 2016, 08:33:16 am »

I believe it's Amendment 14, Section 1 of the US Constitution, at least if the Supreme Court is to be believed.
It's been a while since I've read the amendments. Holy cow is that one full of ambiguous terms; but I guess that is why things depend on the precedent of the courts to define those terms.

Although I would argue that the clause at the end "without due process of law" makes it even more tricky, because if "due process of law" means the normal legislative process, then, eh, it's just weighted* magic 8 ball time to try and figure out how things will end up.

*The 8 ball of the courts is definitely biased (which way depends on numerous factors, but pretending it's impartial is naive), but it still has a random component.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15301 on: December 08, 2016, 09:01:10 am »

One interesting point is from Chomsky: the anti Vietnam war protests were basically ignored by the media (why would corporate media report something they didn't support) up until the point that a major report was published about the economic costs of the vietnam war. After that point, corporate owners turned against the war, and the floodgates opened for the media to speak against the war, at which point, the anti-war protestors were a convienient proxy.

It might be a bit different now, since post-internet the media landscape is different, but I'd say it's still more important to have the big media owners on your side than the public.

You see the same thing with the 2003- Iraq War I think. At the time of the war, only 3% of American media sources were identified as anti-war (even MSNBC sacked journalists who were anti-war in the lead up to the war). Later, reports came out showing the cost of the war in the trillions, and after that was when the media really turned against the war.

Someone I met said that the internet took the power from publishers and gave it to Internet Service Providers.

Frankly the people crying about third party voters not voting for their candidate are delusional, especially in this cycle. People voted for Stein and Johnson because they were disgusted by both Clinton and Trump but still showed up to vote (mostly for other races, I suspect).

Get IRV, sure, that's great, we fucking need election reform. But whatever bag of dicks someone thinks is entitled to my vote damn well isn't, and that sheer fucking arrogance is half of what stopped me from pinching my nose and voting Clinton. And unlike 2000 this one was just stolen by good old fashioned gerrymandering rather than also being hijacked by the SCOTUS and a candidate's brother's gubernatorial power.

This wasn't a year for third party politics; more unhappy voters voted against Trump by voting Clinton, instead of making their own party. I have met a former Bernie Sanders supporter who planned to vote Clinton out of resignation.

Whenever I read all this stuff about the alleged possibility of the EC essentially throwing a giant hissy fit and refusing to elect Trump, it just makes me hope that if my side had lost, we'd have been a bit less... am-dram about it.
The hypocrisy is beautiful but not that surprising. SJWs and corporatist mouthpieces prior to the election talking about how a Trump loss would mean violent radicals doing this and that. Cue Clinton's loss and we've got violent radicals looting, burning, and calling for assassinations. This is what happens when the corp-caps get total control and find a nice pack of ideologues to set loose, the Gilded Age nostalgia club never bother cleaning the mess up after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15302 on: December 08, 2016, 09:24:34 am »

Frankly the people crying about third party voters not voting for their candidate are delusional, especially in this cycle. People voted for Stein and Johnson because they were disgusted by both Clinton and Trump but still showed up to vote (mostly for other races, I suspect).

Get IRV, sure, that's great, we fucking need election reform. But whatever bag of dicks someone thinks is entitled to my vote damn well isn't, and that sheer fucking arrogance is half of what stopped me from pinching my nose and voting Clinton. And unlike 2000 this one was just stolen by good old fashioned gerrymandering rather than also being hijacked by the SCOTUS and a candidate's brother's gubernatorial power.

Whenever I read all this stuff about the alleged possibility of the EC essentially throwing a giant hissy fit and refusing to elect Trump, it just makes me hope that if my side had lost, we'd have been a bit less... am-dram about it.
The hypocrisy is beautiful but not that surprising. SJWs and corporatist mouthpieces prior to the election talking about how a Trump loss would mean violent radicals doing this and that. Cue Clinton's loss and we've got violent radicals looting, burning, and calling for assassinations. This is what happens when the corp-caps get total control and find a nice pack of ideologues to set loose, the Gilded Age nostalgia club never bother cleaning the mess up after.

I posted this at both sides prior to the election.  If my third party candidate had not been in the race, I would not have voted for president.

Did you hear about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz706wH_ly8

Ohio's house and senate passed a law* which makes abortion illegal as soon a fetal heartbeat is detectable, which is pretty much making it illegal entirely because of how early that is. This is, of course, unconstitutional.

* It's going to Kasich, and it'll become law unless he vetoes it
Just out of curiosity, what makes that unconstitutional?  Specifically - what provision in the (I presume Ohio state, but maybe US?) constitution is being violated?

Provision in the constitution?  Well ... mumble mumble ... right to privacy in the ... mumble mumble ... amendment.  Essentially, Roe V Wade resulted in the supreme court declaring that there is a constitutional right to an abortion.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15303 on: December 08, 2016, 10:36:36 am »

To change the topic away from going in flames: F.D.A. Agrees to New Trials for Ecstasy as Relief for PTSD Patients

Apparently it's really effective at curing PTSD. As in, "years of treatment = 15-20 hours under ecstasy with medical assistance" kind of effective.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:41:46 pm by Sergarr »
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15304 on: December 08, 2016, 10:46:30 am »

@flying dice: gerrymandering has absolutely no effect on Presidential, Senate, and Governor elections as they're both statewide, what does have an effect however is voter suppression tactics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15305 on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:08 pm »

Would it cost significantly more if we made a sort of Voter Garbage man who went door to door collecting votes from people's houses?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15306 on: December 08, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »

Would it cost significantly more if we made a sort of Voter Garbage man who went door to door collecting votes from people's houses?
You'd have to organize lists of what houses voters live at, how many voters live at a house, who and how many people would be going door to door, and what routes, and what agencies or bureaucracies will be managing all of that, and probably other stuff I'm not thinking of. And all that could be translated to tax dollars spent.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15307 on: December 08, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »

Holy shit Trump, really? Scott Pruitt as head of EPA? The guy that has been fighting EPA decisions for years as a public attorney? The guy that is widely known for his fight against the Clean Power Plan? The guy that fights against clean air acts near parks? The guy that fought against reduction of mercury in industry emissions, and wants to ban EPA from making settlements with environmentalist groups? The guy that is basically opposed to EPA as a whole, head of EPA?

It's starting to look like Trump's main plan is to cripple all government agencies by installing heads that work against those agencies' best interests.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:06:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15308 on: December 08, 2016, 02:12:54 pm »

It's openly been the Republican Party's desire for some time now to end the EPA's existence by staffing it with people who desire its disestablishment. The schism on environmental issues is now so wide that they're becoming like Captain Planet villains and saying pollution is good for you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15309 on: December 08, 2016, 03:16:10 pm »

INHALE THE SMOG

INHAAAAAALE IT

DO YOU FEEL THE STRENGTH

DISEASE IS WEAKNESS
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15310 on: December 08, 2016, 03:20:50 pm »

It's openly been the Republican Party's desire for some time now to end the EPA's existence by staffing it with people who desire its disestablishment. The schism on environmental issues is now so wide that they're becoming like Captain Planet villains and saying pollution is good for you.

Live from the EPA

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15311 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:33 pm »

Ironically, FernGully was aired on Faux Noose.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15313 on: December 08, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »

Noooo I just watched a movie with him in it

(the character, not as an actor)
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15314 on: December 08, 2016, 04:00:04 pm »

Shepard, Armstrong, and now Glenn. Soon, all the giants will be gone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1249