Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392267 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15255 on: December 07, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »

You used more words to describe it than he did.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15256 on: December 07, 2016, 09:19:20 pm »

Even assuming that to be the case: what is going to happen to carbon taxes if we end up stopping fossil fuel/etc emissions?

Uhhh, the amount of the carbon taxes collected will approach zero, because the taxes are applied against fossil fuels. You're probably going to argue "but a zero tax won't have any effect!" which is also a dumb thing to say. The existence of the tax makes it more costly to consider fossil fuel sources, even if you're not using them.

I can only imagine that your argument is that they'll somehow switch the tax onto breathing or something, but that's plainly ludicrous, because that's not how legislation works. Taxes don't magically get applied to similar things because the specified thing the tax is intended to tax drops.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:21:03 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15257 on: December 07, 2016, 09:21:01 pm »

So this is apparently a thing. Newt Gingrich is praising Imperial Japan for "professional brilliance and technological power" allowing them to carry out a "widest surprise attack in history". Authoritarianism is running strong among the Republicans, I see... I wonder when they'll start revering Stalin, heh.
Japanese planning and trainng let them also carry out surprise attacks in Hong Kong and Malaysia.It was widest surprise attack in history
There is a gap between what he said and what you're saying he said? Where have you read all of that cos now I'm confus

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15258 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:54 pm »

Personally I don't see the problem in admitting that someone did something well, just because you don't like why they did it. Are we obligated to say "the Japanese sucked at everything" for eternity for political reasons?

Grr, Newt said something nice about wartime Japan. What's the objection to the statement? Logic or emotion? I'd say it's an appeal to emotion: The Japanese were BAD so it's wrong to say anything GOOD about them. Which is just plain "victor's history" style political correctness.

What the Japanese did was a masterstroke of military planning, and coming only mere decades after they industrialized was a huge achievement. The fact that we were the targets doesn't make it any less impressive that they pulled that off.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:27:51 pm by Reelya »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15259 on: December 07, 2016, 09:30:56 pm »

So this is apparently a thing. Newt Gingrich is praising Imperial Japan for "professional brilliance and technological power" allowing them to carry out a "widest surprise attack in history". Authoritarianism is running strong among the Republicans, I see... I wonder when they'll start revering Stalin, heh.

My ability to comprehend things and events has been overwhelmed.

How does an American politician think "I'm going to praise Imperial Japan for stabbing us in the back. That will be popular and have no downsides."

Even abstractly and coldly logically, it was a damned stupid decision. The US was neutral, isolationist, and powerful. It was the strategic equivalent of poking a sleeping bear with a dull stick, and getting us involved in the war was a bad idea from any perspective.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:34:42 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15260 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:21 pm »

Personally I don't see the problem in admitting that someone did something well, just because you don't like why they did it. Are we obligated to say "the Japanese sucked at everything" for eternity for political reasons?

Grr, Newt said something nice about wartime Japan. What's the objection to the statement? Logic or emotion? I'd say it's an appeal to emotion: The Japanese were BAD so it's wrong to say anything GOOD about them. Which is just plain "victor's history" style political correctness.

What the Japanese did was a masterstroke of military planning, and coming only mere decades after they industrialized was a huge achievement. The fact that we were the targets doesn't make it any less impressive that they pulled that off.

He said it on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. So, you know. Reasons.

People asking where he said stuff: https://twitter.com/newtgingrich
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15261 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:47 pm »

Japanese planning and trainng let them also carry out surprise attacks in Hong Kong and Malaysia.It was widest surprise attack in history
There is a gap between what he said and what you're saying he said? Where have you read all of that cos now I'm confus
First part is from the first tweet, the "Imperial Japan" part is obvious context. He's talking about the fucking Pearl Harbor attack, you know, among other things.
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15262 on: December 07, 2016, 09:38:42 pm »

He said it on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. So, you know. Reasons.

People asking where he said stuff: https://twitter.com/newtgingrich
Not the right time, Gingrich.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15263 on: December 07, 2016, 09:40:25 pm »

Maybe it has something to do with this?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15264 on: December 07, 2016, 09:42:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15265 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:57 pm »

The problem is is that it's just plain wrong. Pearl Harbor was an act of unimaginable stupidity, that got them into a fight they couldn't win, and that they didn't even need to fight in the first place. The United States would not have gone to war with the force it did over Dutch colonies, if it would even go to war with them at all over them. An attack on American soil was a different matter entirely.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15266 on: December 07, 2016, 09:49:13 pm »

Maybe it has something to do with this?

Not even appropriate for Newt to say that, considering the occasion. If he wanted to flatter the Japanese, okay, fine, but there's better things to flatter them on.

The problem is is that it's just plain wrong. Pearl Harbor was an act of unimaginable stupidity, that got them into a fight they couldn't win, and that they didn't even need to fight in the first place. The United States would not have gone to war with the force it did over Dutch colonies, if it would even go to war with them at all over them. An attack on American soil was a different matter entirely.

It was both a stragetic faliure (didn't even target infrastructure) and a tactical faliure (history, also, they missed the aircraft carriers).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:53:47 pm by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15267 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:57 pm »

That's obvious now, but from the Japanese perspective in 1941 it looks pretty different. They considered the very existence of the US-occupied Philippines to be the equivalent of a gun pointed right at their head, and thought that a few decisive victories would cause the US to stop fighting.

Most importantly, they thought that we'd regard Hawaii and the Philippines as unimportant colonial possessions not worth fighting an expensive war over, especially since they didn't even try to take Hawaii away. The notion that the US would react with the same level of vehemence as if D.C. had been bombed instead never crossed their minds.

@smjjames
All of the military infrastructure at Pearl Harbor was smashed. The entire point of the attack was to keep the US from being able to launch a counterattack until the Empire had built up enough and taken enough forward bases that the US would be unwilling to pay the cost of smashing through.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15268 on: December 07, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »

Also, this is bay12, and you're denouncing a technical / military coordination achievement based on the fact that it turned out to be impractical in the long run? Yes, it was quite a feat that a nation that had been a feudal agrarian society without even rifles a couple of generations before was going toe-to-toe with the world's largest superpower.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:59:01 pm by Reelya »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15269 on: December 07, 2016, 09:57:38 pm »

Pearl Harbor's port facilities were perfectly fine. That's what smjjames was talking about. We were able to counterattack exactly Because those port facilities were there.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1249