Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392262 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15240 on: December 07, 2016, 05:27:19 pm »

Also, I was mistaken that it does not require Senate approval, the EPA chief does require senate approval. Already edited that part of my post out.

Edit: I looked at wikipedia and it would appear that, if confirmed, Pruitt would be the first one to have such massive ties to the oil industry. Not the first to complain about regulations however.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:33:16 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15241 on: December 07, 2016, 05:54:40 pm »

There's a reason why all the people who are brought up to "not tow the party line" are atmospheric physicists, i.e. not climatologists. It's because they don't know what they're talking about but are in a related enough field that they don't sound like complete hacks off the bat, like a chemist talking about physics.

There is no fucking conspiracy, nor is there any informal demand of belief without justification. Denying climate change is equal to denying evolution or gravity.

What is the difference between an atmospheric physicist and a climatologist?
Atmospheric physicists focus on the physical atmospheric properties (how apropos) of Earth (and increasingly, other planets). Climatologists focus on the whole picture of our weather and the interconnected factors that make up Earth's climate. An atmospheric physicist, for example, would never have discovered on their own that dust picked up from the Sahara is blown across the ocean and is partially responsible for the fertility of the Amazon. Climatologists also analyze the relation of weather and climate concepts to the conditions they cause for life on this planet, while atmospheric physicists do not.

I don't want to disparage their field entirely, but when atmospheric physicists refuse to listen to their climatologist colleagues about climate concerns, you get people like in the video. Those are the genuine if misguided ones. Then there are the ones who deny because a think tank pays them to.

Edit: Donald Trump makes veiled threats that Saturday Night Live will soon be cancelled.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:10:36 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15242 on: December 07, 2016, 06:13:57 pm »

Donald Trump has ALREADY said he is changing libel laws to be more... Liberal so to speak.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15243 on: December 07, 2016, 06:16:18 pm »

He'd have quite the fight ahead of him: the federal libel law he says he'll "open up" doesn't exist. Only states have libel laws, and even conservative judges typically look down on them. And that's for private figures. Public figures like Trump are virtually unable to make use of libel laws.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:18:06 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15244 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:26 pm »

He'd have quite the fight ahead of him: the federal libel law he says he'll "open up" doesn't exist. Only states have libel laws, and even conservative judges typically look down on them. And that's for private figures. Public figures like Trump are virtually unable to make use of libel laws.

Can't he pass a federal law that superscedes state law?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15245 on: December 07, 2016, 06:24:09 pm »

Can't he pass a federal law that superscedes state law?

States rights, remember? Short of a constitutional amendment anyway. That's how states have legalized marjuana despite the fact that it's federally illegal. He'd have a heck of a lot of opposition, and then there's SCOTUS, the very SCOTUS (minus Scalia) that said 'money is free speech'.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15246 on: December 07, 2016, 06:25:43 pm »

That would require the cooperation of Congress and the further cooperation of the judiciary at both the state and federal level. All but the most extreme of the latter believe our current libel and slander laws are the only possible versions of them that are compatible with the Constitution, and the former want to keep their jobs.

I guarantee that Congress, regardless of favor or opposition to Trump, remember how many were thrown out the door over the original Patriot Act. And that didn't even get used to suppress people!

In addition, the President cannot propose law. Only Congressprites may propose laws. While not a huge obstacle to overcome, it does ensure he cannot literally determine the contents of any such proposition.
States rights, remember? Short of a constitutional amendment anyway. That's how states have legalized marjuana despite the fact that it's federally illegal. He'd have a heck of a lot of opposition, and then there's SCOTUS, the very SCOTUS (minus Scalia) that said 'money is free speech'.
That's not how that works, federal law both adds to and supersedes state laws. The reason for legal marijuana being tolerated is basically "don't want to fuck with it". The DEA has a lot of work to do and this is usually not worth the controversy, but people can and have been arrested under the federal statute in a legalized state.

That may be one of the severe difficulties for weed soon, as Trump has made statements to the effect that he will not tolerate legalization and may send the DEA to try and suppress it. Granted, this remains far beyond the scope of operations that the DEA is physically capable of.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:33:01 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15247 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:00 pm »

1) The climate is always changing.

2) CO2 is a greenhouse gas without which life on earth is not possible, but adding it to the atmosphere should lead to some warming.

3) Atmospheric levels of CO2 have been increasing since the end of the Little Ice Age in the 19th century.

4) Over this period (the past two centuries), the global mean temperature has increased slightly and erratically by about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit or one degree Celsius; but only since the 1960’s have man’s greenhouse emissions been sufficient to play a role.

5) Given the complexity of climate, no confident prediction about future global mean temperature or its impact can be made. The IPCC acknowledged in its own 2007 report that “The long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.”
*gnashes teeth* IT BURNS, THE STUPIDITY, IT BUUUURNS

1. And since I'm always jumping around, dropping me from the top of a skyscraper should be fine, right? Yes, it's always changing, that doesn't mean that long-term trend cannot be observed!
2. True.
3. True.
4. True but misleading. The CO2 levels correlate with the warming, and "slight and erratic" is not the kind of stuff I'd expect to hear from an expert. Of fucking course it's erratic! It's the fucking temperature!
5. It's complex, therefore IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW - what the hell, no! And I'm guessing that was quote-mined.

Look. Climate is chaotic, but it's not completely unpredictable. There are trends. Additionally, we have a decent understanding of how different factors affect the climate, allowing us to say things like "if we continue to add CO2, the Earth will warm more than it otherwise would."

You said you wanted data on "skeptics" who aren't frothing at the mouth crazy.  This was data from not-frothing-at-the-mouth "skeptics."
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15248 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:14 pm »

1) The climate is always changing.

2) CO2 is a greenhouse gas without which life on earth is not possible, but adding it to the atmosphere should lead to some warming.

3) Atmospheric levels of CO2 have been increasing since the end of the Little Ice Age in the 19th century.

4) Over this period (the past two centuries), the global mean temperature has increased slightly and erratically by about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit or one degree Celsius; but only since the 1960’s have man’s greenhouse emissions been sufficient to play a role.

5) Given the complexity of climate, no confident prediction about future global mean temperature or its impact can be made. The IPCC acknowledged in its own 2007 report that “The long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.”
*gnashes teeth* IT BURNS, THE STUPIDITY, IT BUUUURNS

1. And since I'm always jumping around, dropping me from the top of a skyscraper should be fine, right? Yes, it's always changing, that doesn't mean that long-term trend cannot be observed!
2. True.
3. True.
4. True but misleading. The CO2 levels correlate with the warming, and "slight and erratic" is not the kind of stuff I'd expect to hear from an expert. Of fucking course it's erratic! It's the fucking temperature!
5. It's complex, therefore IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW - what the hell, no! And I'm guessing that was quote-mined.

Look. Climate is chaotic, but it's not completely unpredictable. There are trends. Additionally, we have a decent understanding of how different factors affect the climate, allowing us to say things like "if we continue to add CO2, the Earth will warm more than it otherwise would."

You said you wanted data on "skeptics" who aren't frothing at the mouth crazy.  This was data from not-frothing-at-the-mouth "skeptics."
I feel like both of you missed the point where you assumed that the environment is necessarily friendly to human life, or not.

One could totally buy the temperature is rising purely due to natural reasons, but that does mean that it isn't a problem. In fact, we have even more of a problem, since we can't stop it! If C02 was just warming up sunny beaches no one would give a shit who was doing it. I challenge you to explain why it is not a problem.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15249 on: December 07, 2016, 08:03:15 pm »

Atmospheric physicists focus on the physical atmospheric properties (how apropos) of Earth (and increasingly, other planets). Climatologists focus on the whole picture of our weather and the interconnected factors that make up Earth's climate.

It's similar to the difference between a chemist and a biologist. Biology is just complex chemistry after all. Or the difference between studying how neurons operate, and clinical neuropsychology. Basically, there's a gap in knowledge (filled in by still-poorly-understood disciplines such as complex system dynamics and chaos theory), making many of these things separate disciplines, even though the complex systems are "just" the lower-order system with more components.

So no, knowing in detail about the chemical composition of the atmosphere doesn't make you a credible commenter on how the climate/biosphere feedback loop operates, because climatology is a cross-disciplinary science that deals with complex system dynamics, whereas physicists still tend to treat things as individual point masses etc, and that kind of reductionist logic doesn't scale up at all.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:06:12 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15250 on: December 07, 2016, 08:04:54 pm »

I thought chemistry was complex chemistry and biology was simple chemistry

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15251 on: December 07, 2016, 09:05:53 pm »

Libel law at a federal level would be fairly easy to implement, just on the basis of the general congressional review process. Federal laws are then able to be used, provided any sort of interstate commerce has occurred. Fortunately, during the Obama Administration, we have some beautiful precedent that allows pretty much everything to totes count as interstate commerce, epitomized by the idea that using a pair of scissors from another state in the course of committing a crime qualifies the crime for Federal status.

Federalism ain't strong these days, nor are our fundamental rights, nor are our checks and balances.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15252 on: December 07, 2016, 09:09:47 pm »

Atmospheric physicists focus on the physical atmospheric properties (how apropos) of Earth (and increasingly, other planets). Climatologists focus on the whole picture of our weather and the interconnected factors that make up Earth's climate.

It's similar to the difference between a chemist and a biologist. Biology is just complex chemistry after all. Or the difference between studying how neurons operate, and clinical neuropsychology. Basically, there's a gap in knowledge (filled in by still-poorly-understood disciplines such as complex system dynamics and chaos theory), making many of these things separate disciplines, even though the complex systems are "just" the lower-order system with more components.

So no, knowing in detail about the chemical composition of the atmosphere doesn't make you a credible commenter on how the climate/biosphere feedback loop operates, because climatology is a cross-disciplinary science that deals with complex system dynamics, whereas physicists still tend to treat things as individual point masses etc, and that kind of reductionist logic doesn't scale up at all.
This is well-documented by the esteemed Randall Munroe:

What does that post even mean?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15253 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »

Federalism ain't strong these days, nor are our fundamental rights, nor are our checks and balances.

To be fair, the interstate commerce clause has been pretty darn strong since the great depression. In fact, many would argue that the Court's interpretation of the clause has actually been on a bit of a decline.

If I remember my Con Law right (and it's quite possible I don't, admittedly), back in the 30s if you grew wheat on your farm, for your own use, your economic activity was considered to affect interstate commerce and thus federal laws relying on the clause could tell you not to grow so much.

Back when I was a biochem undergrad student my academic advisor told me that biology was going to be obsoleted by advances in chemistry within a decade or two. I actually believed him, though I suppose it's only been one decade so far.

(Edit: obsoleted as an academic field, I mean. Not entirely.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:15:33 pm by Dostoevsky »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15254 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:33 pm »

._.
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1249