Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392095 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15210 on: December 07, 2016, 01:01:26 pm »

Have we discussed the amazing amazingness that is SECDEF Mattis?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-has-chosen-retired-marine-gen-james-mattis-for-secretary-of-defense/2016/12/01/6c6b3b74-aff9-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html?utm_term=.090f899feabc

It's tough to overstate the popularity of Gen. Mattis among the military community, guy's pretty much universally loved.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15211 on: December 07, 2016, 01:14:33 pm »

A person who's nickname is "Mad Dog Mattis" and is "famed for his aggression" does not fill me with confidence. Nor does Trump's apparent desire to militarize the Presidency.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15212 on: December 07, 2016, 01:27:26 pm »

I think I've also heard something about him criticizing Obama's approach to Iran. Also, the apparent existence of a cult of personality around that person is pretty worrying.
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15214 on: December 07, 2016, 01:50:35 pm »

A person who's nickname is "Mad Dog Mattis" and is "famed for his aggression" does not fill me with confidence. Nor does Trump's apparent desire to militarize the Presidency.

He's also known as 'the warrior monk' have you read more deeply about him? At least he'll be a counter to Russia.

I do agree that Trumps tendency to appoint generals or ex military is a bit concerning, Trump is also expected to tap retired marine General John Kelley for DHS. I wonder if the waver applies to him as well, because he retired earlier this year (in January, to be specific), so, he's barely retired.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:52:10 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15215 on: December 07, 2016, 01:54:18 pm »

I am going to lose my fucking mind if I have to hear any more jingoist bullshit about Russia. "Clinton wants to go to war in Russia, vote for Trump or you'll get drafted."

Well, we certainly aren't countering Russia now, considering our President-elect is in good with them and wants to surrender all American influence to them in the Middle East and Europe.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15216 on: December 07, 2016, 01:57:41 pm »

I am going to lose my fucking mind if I have to hear any more jingoist bullshit about Russia. "Clinton wants to go to war in Russia, vote for Trump or you'll get drafted."

Well, we certainly aren't countering Russia now, considering our President-elect is in good with them and wants to surrender all American influence to them in the Middle East and Europe.

I only meant that he'll at least be a counter-view in the cabinet, and I never said anything like that about Clinton.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15217 on: December 07, 2016, 02:00:05 pm »

Don't mind me, just despairing over the abject idiocy of the people in meatspace to dare claim to be for America and against Russia while voting for Donald Trump on the basis of slander about Clinton and Russia.

I really wish I had something to smash.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15218 on: December 07, 2016, 02:23:08 pm »

Have we discussed the amazing amazingness that is SECDEF Mattis?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-has-chosen-retired-marine-gen-james-mattis-for-secretary-of-defense/2016/12/01/6c6b3b74-aff9-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html?utm_term=.090f899feabc

It's tough to overstate the popularity of Gen. Mattis among the military community, guy's pretty much universally loved.

Currently, it is illegal for Mattis to be Secretary of Defense.  Congress can grant him a waiver, but the last person they did that for was George C Marshall.  Of the 4 people since the inception of our republic who have been a Secratary of [Military Branch] within 7 years of being a Regular Commissioned officer, 1 was John Knox, 1 was George C Marshall, 1 left congress to enlist in the Army during WWI and rose to Major in 2 years, and 1 was just a place-holder because his predecessor had deceased.  Whether Mattis is on the level of Marshall or Knox is an open question.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15219 on: December 07, 2016, 02:27:09 pm »

MaxTM, I realize that this is my fourth reply to your same post, but I have some questions for yooooou~

Is it your opinion that:
1. It is possible to measure a trend in the Earth's temperature.
2. There exists an upward trend in the Earth's temperature.
3. GHG emissions are capable of causing an upward trend in the Earth's temperature.
4. GHG emissions have largely caused this upward trend in the Earth's temperature.

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but all the climate change skeptics (or "skeptics") I've talked to were frothing at the mouth, you're the only sane one I've seen, and I must gather data!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15220 on: December 07, 2016, 02:29:30 pm »

MaxTM, I realize that this is my fourth reply to your same post, but I have some questions for yooooou~

Is it your opinion that:
1. It is possible to measure a trend in the Earth's temperature.
2. There exists an upward trend in the Earth's temperature.
3. GHG emissions are capable of causing an upward trend in the Earth's temperature.
4. GHG emissions have largely caused this upward trend in the Earth's temperature.

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but all the climate change skeptics (or "skeptics") I've talked to were frothing at the mouth, you're the only sane one I've seen, and I must gather data!

I'm just going to leave a youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwqIy8Ikv-c

(MIT Professor and climate scientist who ... doesn't toe the AGW party line.)
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: December 07, 2016, 02:35:50 pm »

There's a reason why all the people who are brought up to "not tow the party line" are atmospheric physicists, i.e. not climatologists. It's because they don't know what they're talking about but are in a related enough field that they don't sound like complete hacks off the bat, like a chemist talking about physics.

There is no fucking conspiracy, nor is there any informal demand of belief without justification. Denying climate change is equal to denying evolution or gravity.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: December 07, 2016, 02:47:22 pm »

There's a reason why all the people who are brought up to "not tow the party line" are atmospheric physicists, i.e. not climatologists. It's because they don't know what they're talking about but are in a related enough field that they don't sound like complete hacks off the bat, like a chemist talking about physics.

There is no fucking conspiracy, nor is there any informal demand of belief without justification. Denying climate change is equal to denying evolution or gravity.

What is the difference between an atmospheric physicist and a climatologist?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15223 on: December 07, 2016, 03:25:49 pm »

1) The climate is always changing.

2) CO2 is a greenhouse gas without which life on earth is not possible, but adding it to the atmosphere should lead to some warming.

3) Atmospheric levels of CO2 have been increasing since the end of the Little Ice Age in the 19th century.

4) Over this period (the past two centuries), the global mean temperature has increased slightly and erratically by about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit or one degree Celsius; but only since the 1960’s have man’s greenhouse emissions been sufficient to play a role.

5) Given the complexity of climate, no confident prediction about future global mean temperature or its impact can be made. The IPCC acknowledged in its own 2007 report that “The long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.”
*gnashes teeth* IT BURNS, THE STUPIDITY, IT BUUUURNS

1. And since I'm always jumping around, dropping me from the top of a skyscraper should be fine, right? Yes, it's always changing, that doesn't mean that long-term trend cannot be observed!
2. True.
3. True.
4. True but misleading. The CO2 levels correlate with the warming, and "slight and erratic" is not the kind of stuff I'd expect to hear from an expert. Of fucking course it's erratic! It's the fucking temperature!
5. It's complex, therefore IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW - what the hell, no! And I'm guessing that was quote-mined.

Look. Climate is chaotic, but it's not completely unpredictable. There are trends. Additionally, we have a decent understanding of how different factors affect the climate, allowing us to say things like "if we continue to add CO2, the Earth will warm more than it otherwise would."
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15224 on: December 07, 2016, 03:29:21 pm »

For #5, what the IPCC was saying was "There are several ways we can do this, and the choice... is... yours."

Er, I mean, "We can't predict whether people will try to mitigate this problem, or ignore it, or put serious brakes on, so we have several predictions but can't say which one will be closest."

(Also stuff like "we aren't 100% certain just how bad it will be if all the permafrost melts, dunno how much methane is in siberia and canada, eh")
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:30:54 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1249