Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390177 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14940 on: December 04, 2016, 04:01:06 pm »

It may be a good idea for you to start preparing for a plan B to prematurely end Trump's rule of terror before he destroys USA and the world.

Plan B would be the electoral college. I mean, it's the name of the morning-after pill, and that's as close as it gets.

Yeah, even if a EC revolt isn't successful, just having one is a big deal because we haven't seen any kind of large scale EC defection in over a 100 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14941 on: December 04, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »

First: HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHY IN THE NAME OF WHICHEVER DEITY YOU PREFER WOULD YOU PUT OPEN FLAME, PAPER, AND A DRYING PINE TREE TOGETHER? DO YOU HATE EYEBROWS AND HAVING YOUR HOUSE NOT BE ON FIRE?

I mean, I was a teenage boy, destroying junk we found is a standard part of that, so when we found an old christmas tree near the woods we would get high at we naturally set it on fire.

*smolder, crackle, GIGANTIC SIX FOOT FUCKING FLAMES WHAT*

Fuck that shit, I don't bother with the holidays anyways, but I'm doubly not screwing with having a big hunk of terrifyingly flammable kindling sitting in my living room.
I almost despise the secular Christmas as much as I do the real one. This nation's holiday culture is a neurotic mess and should be opposed.

I just hate how the "Spirit" of it starts earlier and earlier.

Like, August hits and stores are stuffed with Christmas and Halloween decorations literally an aisle away.  Eventually Christmas will fuse with Easter and make everything confusing.

The US is a bit like a modern-day Roman Empire. Basically, are lives will get filled up with meaningless holidays and various ways to keep us distracted from an imminent political implosion until someone comes along or there's a civil war and then we'll get a ton of reforms and then the cycle starts over and keeps repeating its self until we're devoid of resources--then a successor state will conquer us and we'll fade slowly into obscurity.
So our barbaric northern neighbors who talk funny and have weird customs and aren't big fans of our gods, the Canuckigoths, will end up warring with us over appropriate uses of gravy, but for some stupid reason our Hadrian put the wall on the wrong border, so the end up swarming in by the, well, dozens or so, which would just end up getting them shot but they're all riding Moose... Mooses, Meece, Moosen, fuck it, hairier quadrupedal Canuckigoths with antlers, and we're just baffled so we end up getting trampled or having heart attacks because we made the mistake of trying to get up off of our standard-issue-at-this-point mobility scooter since it couldn't turn fast enough or hope to budge even the skinniest of our supermodels (and really what is she thinking, 450 lbs is too damn skinny, you can almost see hints of her skeletal structure, yuck!) so we end up accepting our new rule by the Canuckigoth Ehmperors after they agree to compromise on the gravy issue by letting us put it on everything, even the money, which isn't even printed anymore, we just bred pigs with currency markings on their hides, and the larger the section of pigskin you prevent yourself from wolfing down, the richer you are!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14942 on: December 04, 2016, 04:34:52 pm »

"Guided Mooseles Disrupt Transport Infrastructure"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14943 on: December 04, 2016, 04:36:41 pm »

It may be a good idea for you to start preparing for a plan B to prematurely end Trump's rule of terror before he destroys USA and the world.

Plan B would be the electoral college. I mean, it's the name of the morning-after pill, and that's as close as it gets.

Yeah, even if a EC revolt isn't successful, just having one is a big deal because we haven't seen any kind of large scale EC defection in over a 100 years.
Unfortunately enough, there's still too many people who're saying that "oh Trump isn't so bad" at this moment to have any decent chances of a EC revolt to succeed.

Colour revolution, on the other hand, has no such requirements, the only prerequisite for it is to have enough people sufficiently pissed off, and a sufficient financial backup from the forces of liberal justice to maintain a few million people on streets for a couple of months.

And in USA, the homeland of world-wide liberal revolution, it should have more chance to succeed than in any other place. Though, that could be counteracted somewhat by the USA police and intelligence institutions being both super-powerful, due to America being very rich and competent overall, and, unfortunately, largely subverted by the Republican evil (just look at what FBI did before elections).
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14944 on: December 04, 2016, 04:39:50 pm »

You are now my hero. I will follow you and sing songs about your deeds to confused strangers.

Oh, yeah! Technically millenials are people younger than me who you don't like, it's like 1982 to 2000 isn't it?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14945 on: December 04, 2016, 04:51:35 pm »

Unfortunately enough, there's still too many people who're saying that "oh Trump isn't so bad" at this moment to have any decent chances of a EC revolt to succeed.
I don't think that's really true. Not about the EC revolt part, but about people accepting Trump. A quick check shows that his entry approval rating (40-45%) is almost certainly going to be lower than any President since they started recording these things. The EC isn't going to revolt because of process and precedent, not because of anything to do with Trump's approval.
Colour revolution, on the other hand, has no such requirements, the only prerequisite for it is to have enough people sufficiently pissed off, and a sufficient financial backup from the forces of liberal justice to maintain a few million people on streets for a couple of months.

And in USA, the homeland of world-wide liberal revolution, it should have more chance to succeed than in any other place. Though, that could be counteracted somewhat by the USA police and intelligence institutions being both super-powerful, due to America being very rich and competent overall, and, unfortunately, largely subverted by the Republican evil (just look at what FBI did before elections).
Am...am I being Poe'd here?

Anyway, the most likely way we'll be rid of Trump is because he's never opened a casebook in his life. He'll flounder so badly in the unfamiliar environment that he could be come a lame duck even with an aligned Congress, and that would result in his already precarious ratings deteriorating then eventually collapsing. From there it's just a matter of Congress understanding almost everybody would rather be rid of him and opening impeachment proceedings for any of the many, many, many legal violations he's committed and will continue to commit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14946 on: December 04, 2016, 04:55:48 pm »

See?!? It's not just me. This thread is steadily producing insanity, and soon everyone will fall victim to acute poe-poisoning. I thought I lost it when Neo started discussing a statue to Luncheon as a precedent for a statue of Moses.
Technically millenials are people younger than me who you don't like, it's like 1982 to 2000 isn't it?
Millenials are whatever the fuck you want them to be. They've defined and refined and redefined and just fined until the term lost meaning. I've read articles about millennials written before most millennials were even born, and I hear it in such varied contexts it's a wonder it means anything at all. It's become a catch-all term for "the youth of today" + whatever characteristic the user of the word has in mind, whether it's some philosophical concept, some frame-of-mind, or even just as simple as "comfort with the internet".

I'd be so bold as to say I don't think I've ever met a millennial in my entire life.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14947 on: December 04, 2016, 05:01:01 pm »

You are now my hero. I will follow you and sing songs about your deeds to confused strangers.

Oh, yeah! Technically millenials are people younger than me who you don't like, it's like 1982 to 2000 isn't it?

I'm at the upper end of that range, which is close to what I've seen in articles which give ranges. We really weren't and aren't that different from people a couple years older, so it's all very artificial.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14948 on: December 04, 2016, 05:10:32 pm »

I don't think that's really true. Not about the EC revolt part, but about people accepting Trump. A quick check shows that his entry approval rating (40-45%) is almost certainly going to be lower than any President since they started recording these things. The EC isn't going to revolt because of process and precedent, not because of anything to do with Trump's approval.
That's still way too high. His approval rating should be in the 0-5% range (i.e. only complete crazies). The fact that almost half the country thinks that he'd be an acceptable President is horrifying.

Anyway, the most likely way we'll be rid of Trump is because he's never opened a casebook in his life. He'll flounder so badly in the unfamiliar environment that he could be come a lame duck even with an aligned Congress, and that would result in his already precarious ratings deteriorating then eventually collapsing. From there it's just a matter of Congress understanding almost everybody would rather be rid of him and opening impeachment proceedings for any of the many, many, many legal violations he's committed and will continue to commit.
That would still leave the Tea Party-type Republican Party in charge, and they, while a little bit less suddenly apocalyptic, are still incredibly, unbelievably bad for USA and the world. They'll almost certainly try to invade Iran, deregulate the industry, so it'll start poisoning the air again, reintroduce anti-LGBT and anti-PoC laws, and defund climate change research, and then probably blame the rising sea level on the "God punishing the world for gays". That's just among the big ones that they've already announced, or have been promising to do for the past 8 years.

No, that won't do. Trump must go, and he must go with all Republicans in tow. And then there must be steps taken so that this shit-show of an election would never repeat again.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14949 on: December 04, 2016, 05:20:07 pm »

What exactly is being 'poe'd'? Is that like sarcasm with a bit of dramatic?

Anyhoo, Trump is now considering Rex Tillerson (ExxonMobil CEO) and retired admiral James Stavidris for Secretary of State, CNN has mentioned Jon Huntsman.

The oil baron aside (how the heck is he going to avoid conflicts of interest? Even if he steps down as CEO, ExxonMobil is international), I looked around (wikipedia and ballotpedia) and Huntsman and Stavridis would be interesting because Huntsman has a China focus (that seems to be the extent of his experience and policy positions however) but Stavridis has a focus more on the Arctic and also Europe.

I don't think we've had an admiral for a Secretary of State before...

That's still way too high. His approval rating should be in the 0-5% range (i.e. only complete crazies). The fact that almost half the country thinks that he'd be an acceptable President is horrifying.

Lets see where it goes once he actually gets started.

That would still leave the Tea Party-type Republican Party in charge, and they, while a little bit less suddenly apocalyptic, are still incredibly, unbelievably bad for USA and the world. They'll almost certainly try to invade Iran, deregulate the industry, so it'll start poisoning the air again, reintroduce anti-LGBT and anti-PoC laws, and defund climate change research, and then probably blame the rising sea level on the "God punishing the world for gays". That's just among the big ones that they've already announced, or have been promising to do for the past 8 years.

No, that won't do. Trump must go, and he must go with all Republicans in tow. And then there must be steps taken so that this shit-show of an election would never repeat again.

I think you're still doing Poe.

The cracks in the Republican party are still there, just plastered over thinly atm. Honestly, BOTH parties need a shakeup, however, only one party at a time is actually able to go through it via agony of defeat.

I agree with not having this shitshow happen again, but the Democrats are going to have to get back in power again.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14950 on: December 04, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »

I almost despise the secular Christmas as much as I do the real one. This nation's holiday culture is a neurotic mess and should be opposed.

I just hate how the "Spirit" of it starts earlier and earlier.

Like, August hits and stores are stuffed with Christmas and Halloween decorations literally an aisle away.  Eventually Christmas will fuse with Easter and make everything confusing.

The US is a bit like a modern-day Roman Empire. Basically, are lives will get filled up with meaningless holidays and various ways to keep us distracted from an imminent political implosion until someone comes along or there's a civil war and then we'll get a ton of reforms and then the cycle starts over and keeps repeating its self until we're devoid of resources--then a successor state will conquer us and we'll fade slowly into obscurity.
So you are telling me that a empire rose, went through several periods of growth and contraction, attempted to keep it's citizens from rioting and generally did so successfully for as lng as it wasn't falling apart, and eventually fell. Ok. I'd like to point out that that is easily generalizable to every single country, nation, or state that has ever existed at any point in the past but doesn't today. Every single one. Barring the unnecessary successor-state conquering (and when precisely is the US about to be conquered?), your statement could easily apply to the predecessor of every single great-power currently existing, their predecessors, the minor powers predecessors, and, um, everything else. Seriously. I'm not seeing the comparisons here.

Obama and Bush started in the high 80s and they never got back that high again (although maybe Obama did in that brief, nation-wide festival after Osama Bin-Laden went down). Give it time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14951 on: December 04, 2016, 05:29:49 pm »

Obama and Bush started in the high 80s and they never got back that high again (although maybe Obama did in that brief, nation-wide festival after Osama Bin-Laden went down). Give it time.
But each day Trump remains in power is another roll to see whenever Trump will end the world by doing something stupid! Oh, I know that given time, his popularity rating will drop, but it shouldn't have been that high to begin with, in a sane world, at least.

I've found some (unsourced, admittedly) graph that could maybe explain why the world is starting to go to shit/anti-liberalism recently:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have no idea why young people hate living a good life in a country that doesn't kill them for their beliefs, but it's apparently a thing now.
._.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14952 on: December 04, 2016, 05:34:32 pm »

What the hell, guys? What the hell?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14953 on: December 04, 2016, 05:39:33 pm »

I've found some (unsourced, admittedly) graph that could maybe explain why the world is starting to go to shit/anti-liberalism recently:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have no idea why young people hate living a good life in a country that doesn't kill them for their beliefs, but it's apparently a thing now.

Would have been nice to see data from those born in the 1990's, also good to have a source. Also, it still doesn't explain why things are trending like that. Part of it is generational obviously because WWII and the Cold War.

What the hell, guys? What the hell?

On what?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14954 on: December 04, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »

Dubya only managed 19% at his lowest, so I don't think you're likely to ever see that unless Donald Trump is literally recorded raping a child. There's also the matter of the previously mentioned Lizardman's Constant, where a good twentieth or tenth of every poll is composed of people who aren't paying attention or just want to troll statisticians. Then there's probably about another 10% of America composed of cultists, severely delusional people, and the kind of folks who are alright with the Republicans but would really rather have the Constitution Party and drive the lukewarm limp-wrists out.

I'd say that anything below 20% is in reasonable danger of impeachment, and below 10% in practical danger. Americans hardly have difficulty hating bad presidents, hell, we even hate good presidents.

Still, you have to understand that a lot of people just want everything to work out, and the election having been finished are trying to give Trump a chance. Even people like Obama, Clinton, and Dave Chappelle have gotten on national television and basically said "don't dismiss the guy before he even takes office". I can almost agree, if only because treating Trump seriously is what will be his downfall. He's all hype. Showing him the attitude of "here you are, good luck" takes that away, and ensures that when he fails to do real work that there won't be anybody else to blame. And hell, even I said there was 5% or so that Trump really has some secret sauce.

That would still leave the Tea Party-type Republican Party in charge, and they, while a little bit less suddenly apocalyptic, are still incredibly, unbelievably bad for USA and the world.
I'm just going to assume I'm not being Poe'd here.

Don't get me wrong, they're bad hombres, but they're not the end of the world. Holding power is an opportunity, but it's also dangerous. Much like Trump, it's been a while since Republican control truly existed in the country. People aren't sure about them at all, and that means that if they don't stay popular it's going to cost them even more than Dubya did. That's right alongside the existence of people like me, who will still be "voting against Bush for the rest of our lives".

Remember: The last strong Republican administration was Reagan, and he spent the last few years dysfunctional due to Alzheimer's. We all remember Dubya's shit, who won the last EC victory and lucked out against Kerry. Before that was Bush Sr., and he only lasted a single term against Original Recipe Clinton. The true long term prospects of the GOP have been deeply unstable for a long time, and the first chance they're being given in these past thirty years is predicated upon the success of Donald Trump. I almost feel sorry for them. It was easy to gain popular discontent when Obama was at the helm, but that factor is over now. This might actually end up shattering the GOP even worse than losing again would have. Not only that, but I think people have forgotten something these past eight years. Popular discontent is the left's game. Dubya got such bad numbers due to the constant, unyielding force of the antiwar movement. The Tea Party are amateurs by comparison.

They'll almost certainly try to invade Iran,
Trump will probably scrap our embryonic diplomatic contact and end up gunning down some Iranian fishermen, but the chances of an invasion are practically nil. Trump is isolationist, even though that's impossible in the real world. He's far more the "bomb and forget" type than someone who would actually stage an invasion.
deregulate the industry,
It's barely regulated as is, but also what they say they'll do and what they actually do are still separate, even amongst unprofessionals. Even more, in fact. Regulatory inertia is a powerful force, albeit not as powerful as jurisprudence.
so it'll start poisoning the air again,
This I don't believe. Coal is doomed even with government intervention, and there's no way Trump will get even a Republican Congress to overturn the Clean Air Act. That shit's nearly as third-rail as social security by now.
reintroduce anti-LGBT and anti-PoC laws,
I don't think they have all that much interest in reintroducing anything beyond this "First Amendment Defense Act" which will almost certainly be found unconstitutional (remember, same-sex marriage was legalized without Scalia's concurrence). I don't know what "anti-POC" law you'd be be referring to, though.

The real problem for LGBT rights is that this will stall protected class status, which is even now still the main hole due to not guaranteeing in every state things like nondiscrimination for housing, hospital visitation, adoption, employment, and other such rights.
and defund climate change research, and then probably blame the rising sea level on the "God punishing the world for gays".
Since climate science is My Issue and all, I'll just say "big fucking change". Even the Dems aren't willing to go hard on the need for green. Obama went up there every state of the union address flopping his neck about "jobs, jobs, growth, industry" like that means a goddamn thing, and I know he knows better since he said so. Half of Americans still don't accept the truth. A hard lesson is required, and Trump will probably provide it for us.
Still suspect you're fucking with me, here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 1249