Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390089 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14865 on: December 04, 2016, 03:01:52 am »

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: December 04, 2016, 03:03:45 am »

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

As American people you have a duty to rewrite the past in order to address problems in the current day.

Edit: No I don't believe in this! Though it is a common American Practice... FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:06:04 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: December 04, 2016, 03:04:24 am »

Im sure there have been a few atheist politicians, they just disguise it well as being not very religious. Also liberal.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: December 04, 2016, 03:04:43 am »

I have no right to tell climate change deniers that climate change is real. How dare those "evolutionists" try and manipulate governments to put that stuff in the textbooks.

The problem is that people who don't agree with those beliefs influencing the government and education system view them exactly the same as you would if theocrats were influencing the government and education system.

So the problem is the sheer impossibility of coming up with some objective system which allows the full range of ideas to influence decisions while somehow banning the stuff Urist wants to ban. That's easier said than done, which is why anecdotal explanations of how proposed laws "should" work, never actually work.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:07:01 am by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: December 04, 2016, 03:06:25 am »

As American people you have a duty to rewrite the past in order to address problems in the current day.

I'm Commander Shepard, and Neo is my favorite Elcor on the Forums.

In case you were serious, that was a quote from 1984.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: December 04, 2016, 03:07:50 am »

Yeah I sometimes forget to spell it out for people which gets me in a lot of trouble when I am trying to be witty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: December 04, 2016, 03:11:35 am »

I have no right to tell climate change deniers that climate change is real. How dare those "evolutionists" try and manipulate governments to put that stuff in the textbooks.

The problem is that people who don't agree with those beliefs influencing the government and education system view them exactly the same as you would if theocrats were influencing the government and education system.

So the problem is the sheer impossibility of coming up with some objective system which allows the full range of ideas to influence decisions while somehow banning the stuff Urist wants to ban. That's easier said than done, which is why anecdotal explanations of how proposed laws "should" work, never actually work.

Besides, there are ways around those other things. The pamphlets? Don't have to answer the door.  Someone harassing people and trying to preach religion? Call the police or security or whatever because that's what they're for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: December 04, 2016, 03:12:40 am »

Urist, rewrite your argument and replace "religion" with atheism, agnosticism, or however you identifying yourself. Now imagine that I am trying to force that on you. Maybe then you will realize just how offensive you are being right now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:36 am »

I'm reading some excerpts from Thomas Jefferson. Man, I think you could bear to have a few more of that fellow pop up about now.

In his autobiography, Thomas Jefferson spoke directly to the debate over the crafting of a Virginia statute for religious freedom. Jefferson describes a proposal to add the phrase "the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion."

"The insertion was rejected by a great majority," Jefferson wrote, "In proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo, and Infidel of every denomination."

Jefferson would surely be a Trump supporter now, I bet. And that lead me here:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-sh-satan-monument-oklahoma-capitol-20131209-story.html#axzz2neV3dTDH
A satanist group plans to submit a design for a monument it wants to erect on the lawn of the Oklahoma State Capitol. The proposal from the New York-based Satanic Temple comes after Oklahoma conservatives erected a monument to the Ten Commandments on the statehouse lawn. In 2009, the Republican-controlled Oklahoma Legislature authorized the privately funded Ten Commandments monument to be placed near the Capitol steps. In so doing, the Legislature apparently opened the door to other religious groups, including satanists, to privately fund their own monuments.

Which lead to:
http://jezebel.com/oklahoma-removes-ten-commandments-on-capitol-grounds-w-1735155450
Under an order from the Oklahoma Supreme Court, a very large crane came Tuesday night and removed an enormous Ten Commandments monument from the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol. Tragically, this also means that the Satanic Temple probably won’t be able to place their own competing monument beside it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:29:34 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: December 04, 2016, 03:29:15 am »

Honestly to an extent... I don't see why not.

Why not have a statue of Moses on Capital Hill?

For Satanists just have them be tasteful if your worried about content.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14875 on: December 04, 2016, 03:29:59 am »

*stuff posted on last page, sorry for taking forever to respond*

Honestly to an extent... I don't see why not.

Why not have a statue of Moses on Capital Hill?

UUUH, because the US is a secular state.

EDIT:
Urist, rewrite your argument and replace "religion" with atheism, agnosticism, or however you identifying yourself. Now imagine that I am trying to force that on you. Maybe then you will realize just how offensive you are being right now.

Just to restate it here, in case you don't read my previous post, IDGAF. I have no right to get on a soapbox in the middle of main street and start yelling about how god is dead.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:31:47 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: December 04, 2016, 03:31:02 am »

Ohh right... I forgot the US is a melting pot society and not multicultural :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: December 04, 2016, 03:32:10 am »

Neon, you're being even less comprehensible and more smug than usual. What in the name of Science God are you even talking about?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14878 on: December 04, 2016, 03:33:57 am »

Neon, you're being even less comprehensible and more smug than usual. What in the name of Science God are you even talking about?

Ohh right Smug. Definition: "Someone who is wrong, but thinks they are right"

Looks like I got another word to retire right after I get everyone to stop using the term "Entitled" forever.

As for what I am talking about. Secular means that religion doesn't RUN the government. I don't see why religious adornments of many faiths compromises it when faith in many ways is a sign of culture.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: December 04, 2016, 03:34:13 am »

Ohh right... I forgot the US is a melting pot society and not multicultural :P

What? That's like... the opposite of why the US is secular state. It's secular so any one culture doesnt get absorbed into one homogeneous society?

Ohh right Smug. Definition: "Someone who is wrong, but thinks they are right"

Looks like I got another word to retire right after I get everyone to stop using the term "Entitled" forever.

As for what I am talking about. Secular means that religion doesn't RUN the government. I don't see why religious adornments of many faiths compromises it when faith in many ways is a sign of culture.

Because putting a statue of an important figure to a SINGLE (in this case several, but still) faith near the capital building could be seen as support for certain religions????
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:35:51 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1249