Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394262 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14085 on: November 27, 2016, 08:23:34 pm »

Very nicely put, Reelya.

In general, your tribe doesn't include the worst actors, while the other guy's tribe includes every tangentially related loonie.

But his whole point was that his 'worst actors' were being demonised while the other guys 'worst actors' were said to be 'not our problem we don't like them that means they're nothing to do with us'
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: November 27, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »

the worst parts of the right are often demonized by the media. while the worst parts of left side often get cheered and patted on the back for the stuff they do.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14087 on: November 27, 2016, 08:48:59 pm »

Actually, I'm saying that the conservative extremists are much worse than, not equal to, SJWs.

But that's not what you asked. You asked "Why are SJWs liberal's problem"

And I made the point that it doesn't matter what the other side is doing. If you let douchebags take over your side, things aren't ok "because the other side are bigger douchebags". Like I said talking about the other side whenever the spotlight is on your own side is deflection, and doesn't come across as very self-aware.

And there's a strong line of reasoning that the self-refential smug and self-righteous echo-chamber of the current liberal consensus played a lot into the current election loss. So it is liberalism problem. Always being quick to jump to point out that the other side is worse when criticism points at liberalism is the same old self-destructive behavior that got you guys where you are right now. The time for soul-searching is after a big loss. It's not the time to double-down on the set of beliefs that got you there.

Oh FFS, how exactly is liberalism smug again? Give concrete examples this time.

Damn wrongthinkers. World would be perfect if everyone just listened to the right people.
Strife: YOU ARE THE VERY THING THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT

TBF says that conservatives are often wrong about climate change and teh gays and economics. You then respond with... this? Yes, some people are wrong. Is that bad to say? Does it make me a rightthinker?

I am just stunned, utterly stunned, that we are now so far down the rabbit hole that any dissent or disagreement is "smug snobbery" and "thought-plicing." How did we get here? THIS IS NOT A HYPOTHETICAL, PEOPLE, when I said that any disagreement was being called smug I actually meant it.
I could write a script and post it every few pages and be perfectly on topic. Hardcore righters are perfectly crazy, but so are hardcore lefties. And the lefties do a much better job at getting star chambers implemented these days.
Ugh, false equivalency and a non sequitur. How does "farright = farleft" even support your claim that we are being fascist thought-police?

the worst parts of the right are often demonized by the media. while the worst parts of left side often get cheered and patted on the back for the stuff they do.
By whom? Liberal media? Well no shit Sherlock, media is biased. Got anything else to say?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14088 on: November 27, 2016, 08:50:51 pm »

Well of course people see liberals as "condescending" - liberals claim that people are wrong! They challenge people's beliefs! And as for "defensive", well when you attack with ridiculous claims of us being "snobby" of course we'll get defensive.
See? I'm not actually serious, I'm just pointing out how hypocritical arguments like these are. It's some guy saying "look, these liberals are totally snobbish badguys," no evidence or supporting arguments, and of course conservatives will listen and agree!
From my perspective,
From my perspective, the Jedi are evil!
immediately prior to you making this post there were peeps saying reality has a liberal bias
because it fucking does, ever read Conservapedia?
and only liberals are capable of reason or morality
STRAWMAN ALERT
Not really a ridiculous claim is it, seems liberals are very snobby.
There are loud and snobby pseudoliberals and then there are liberals.
As I write this I am having wonderful flashbacks to when urbanites bragged how all the rich and educated peeps voted Remain and all the destitute peasants voted Leave xD
Well that's snobs being snobby. How can you show that this is representative of liberals?
it's called TONGUE-IN-CHEEK and SELF-MOCKING HUMOR you british bastard
Self mocking humour mocks yourself
*sigh*

I am a liberal. I was pretending to be a liberal as seen from the ENEMY'S side. It mocked everybody, really, that's how comedy works though.
But if calling people wrong is "smug," how do we even do anything?
I do this thing where I disagree with someone and argue my case without calling them a mental invalid or making sarcastic references to how obviously right I am. I always assume no one agrees with me and that I have to demonstrate why my views are valid at all, and I do not assume moral superiority over most matters where a multiplicity of viewpoints is possible and there is no one objective truth

Works for me
C: "This is how things work."
LW: "No, it's like this."
C: "YOU SMUG LIBERAL BASTARD"

how would you respond
...how is this a rebuttal of smugness, though? "Sure, we're smug, but we're also the most right!" is a rather smug sentence, from the perspective of a conservative.
Not just the perspective of the conservative, the perspective of the centrist and the leftist
The USA lost millennial and working class people who voted Obama and the UK lost liberal strongholds in the EU referendum. Smugness has killed liberals
the perception of smugness killed us, it's those damn Russian propagandists /tic
"Yes, we are very privileged, and this is for totally good reasons, also you're wrong." See how anything can be twisted into smugness? REALITY IS ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE AND MUTABLE to these people. Oh wait, that's smug too.
"Reality has a liberal bias,"
read conservapedia for a few seconds, then reconsider
"because it's 2015,"
get with the times, dood, it's not the 15th century anymore
"are you kidding me?"
mrw when reading conservapedia
such things are smug, no twisting is needed.
[NEEDS_CITATION]
Stop being smug is very easy to do. Live amongst your political enemies for some years, learn how to tolerate them, talk with them, and not deride them.
Funny, I'm living in a purple state and have many conservative people to talk to, I can talk with them without having a fit or calling them stupid, and yet because I'm a liberal I'm "smug". This makes no fucking sense.
In time maybe you'll even learn from them
Some Cs are idiots. I have very little to learn from them.
Some Cs are utterly awful racists. I honestly don't want to learn why they're so awful.
Some, perhaps even most, Cs are open-minded and willing to explain their rationally-held beliefs and ideas, these are unfortunately not very easily found, as the loud Cs are the first two generally. I like talking with these people.
I've long since found that someone who's worked on the docks all their life has shown greater intelligence than someone capable of entertaining me with a discourse on postcolonial intertextual dialectics
Well isn't someone a good little anti-intellectualist, pulverize the Ivory Towers who criticize your government
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14089 on: November 27, 2016, 08:56:05 pm »

What would the worst parts of the left side be? Other than SJWs which really don't have a presence outside the internet.

Geeze, Doze, calm down a little. I get it, I get that you're frustrated at how conservatives attack liberals for being 'smug' without giving any concrete examples, and other things, but you do need to chill a bit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14090 on: November 27, 2016, 08:56:49 pm »

Actually, I'm saying that the conservative extremists are much worse than, not equal to, SJWs.

But that's not what you asked. You asked "Why are SJWs liberal's problem"

And I made the point that it doesn't matter what the other side is doing. If you let douchebags take over your side, things aren't ok "because the other side are bigger douchebags". Like I said talking about the other side whenever the spotlight is on your own side is deflection, and doesn't come across as very self-aware.

And there's a strong line of reasoning that the self-refential smug and self-righteous echo-chamber of the current liberal consensus played a lot into the current election loss. So it is liberalism problem. Always being quick to jump to point out that the other side is worse when criticism points at liberalism is the same old self-destructive behavior that got you guys where you are right now. The time for soul-searching is after a big loss. It's not the time to double-down on the set of beliefs that got you there.

Oh FFS, how exactly is liberalism smug again? Give concrete examples this time.

Yes, examples please....

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:50 pm »

popcorn.wav
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14092 on: November 27, 2016, 09:19:27 pm »

What would the worst parts of the left side be? Other than SJWs which really don't have a presence outside the internet.

Geeze, Doze, calm down a little. I get it, I get that you're frustrated at how conservatives attack liberals for being 'smug' without giving any concrete examples, and other things, but you do need to chill a bit.

Yeah, I've been waiting a long time for someone to explain how SJWs constitute the Liberals being Just As Bad.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14093 on: November 27, 2016, 09:27:30 pm »

Yeah, I've been waiting a long time for someone to explain how SJWs constitute the Liberals being Just As Bad.
Guess I might as well repost this in the actually relevant thread. Short addition: SJW/regressive left/whatever you want to call it typically has the worst impact of empowering the far-right, due to the cultural inertia of traditional attitudes compared to revolutionary ones. This is on top of all the other problems.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: November 27, 2016, 09:42:30 pm »

I kind of find the term "Regressive left" to be an odd one :P

It outright insinuates that the left is "Progressive" and that the right is "regressive"

Then again "Pro-Life" and "Pro-Choice" do the same thing (then again... I don't get involved in that because it is a lose-lose situation with no hypothetical "everyone wins" scenario)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14095 on: November 27, 2016, 09:43:12 pm »

So, um, are there any politicians who fit the SJW category? I'm just trying to understand it further.

It also sounds like you're saying the far-right and far-left feed off of each other.

Also, while it's true that the parties do have to moderate (not that they actually DO it) and make sure that the bad elements don't take over, it's impossible for a politician to denounce every extreme left thing that some SJW says without being omnipresent and omnipotent.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14096 on: November 27, 2016, 09:44:14 pm »

All I have to add to this is that with so much exposed fuel, people may want to add at least a /s in their sarcasm before we have a pyrokinetic incident.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14097 on: November 27, 2016, 09:58:08 pm »

So, um, are there any politicians who fit the SJW category? I'm just trying to understand it further.

It also sounds like you're saying the far-right and far-left feed off of each other.

Also, while it's true that the parties do have to moderate (not that they actually DO it) and make sure that the bad elements don't take over, it's impossible for a politician to denounce every extreme left thing that some SJW says without being omnipresent and omnipotent.

THANK YOU. Oh, and:

Makes me think. Does that mean the KKK is Abraham Lincoln's fault?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #14098 on: November 27, 2016, 10:13:49 pm »

I mean, if you want a really easy example of the left being totally wrong, there's the ridiculous claim that Trump was "openly racist", to the point where it seemed like this dumb idea was the biggest thing Trump opponents kept bringing up.

In terms of "who is more inaccurate more often", economics is generally a wash (it's worth noting that econ majors tend to lean towards the Republicans), most things religious are better for the left (albeit regardless of how dumb creationism is, it's really irrelevant to the vast majority of people whether they learn evolution or not in schools), and I find that whoever considers themselves to be "in power" or "the majority" tends to get a lot worse on civil liberties, free speech, centralization, etc. The left is better on some matters of basic scientific literacy, but again, whether their actual policies are any better is up in the air.

So far as examples of liberals being smug, the silliness immediately before the election (Hillary being predicted to be basically guaranteed the presidency + the racism silliness) and the claims made after the election ("Trump won because of RACIST WHITE PEOPLE") come to mind. I think it's gotten a lot worse since 2012, since Democrats just kind of assumed that the Obama coalition would last indefinitely and that demographics guaranteed them victory ("Those damn old white people are the only ones that vote Republican and they're a shrinking demographic so we can win easily no matter what"). Except this doesn't work out because

* This assumes the Democrats can win 60-70%+ of Hispanics and 90%+ of African Americans forever

* It also assumes that young voters trend Democrat and stay Democrat for the rest of their lives

* It forgets that the Obama coalition actually included a pretty large number of white voters (esp. union members)

These premises were proven to be false yet a lot of Democrats seem to want to grasp onto them for some reason. They also seem more interested in insulting and attacking the people that won Trump the election rather than try to figure out why they supported Trump. They're adopting the tried and true Bush tactic of saying "If you're not with us, you're with the insert distasteful group here" which worked so well for the Republicans that it lost them every branch of government back in 2008.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14099 on: November 27, 2016, 10:24:55 pm »

You could post a respectable conservative link debunking the claims rather than that link. While it's true he wasn't being openly racist in the sense of using slurs and racist terms, he still went out of his way to insult practically every group imaginiable. Not using racist terms, but in a way that was clearly insensitive and anti-minority.
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1249