Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394310 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13950 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:02 pm »

As my high school anatomy teacher told me: "You're paying to have very expensive pee."

That said, I would like to see some solid research on micronutriants. Seems like every time we look into one it turns out it has massive predictive potential for all sorts of horrible things when you're deprived of it. That actually would be worth supplementing, since some of those are easy to miss out on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: November 25, 2016, 04:46:25 am »

As my high school anatomy teacher told me: "You're paying to have very expensive pee."
That's mostly for vitamin C. Overdosing C will just make you pee out the excess, no harm done.
However, overdosing on vitamin A will leave you with liver failure and death. Which is why you should never eat the organs (most notably, the liver) of animals living within the polar circle, those can contain lethal doses of vitamin A.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: November 25, 2016, 04:52:08 am »

That's mostly for vitamin C. Overdosing C will just make you pee out the excess, no harm done.
However, overdosing on vitamin A will leave you with liver failure and death. Which is why you should never eat the organs (most notably, the liver) of animals living within the polar circle, those can contain lethal doses of vitamin A.

It always make me laugh when peoples share that fact about polar bear liver. I always imagine someone going "ho no!, I just had the liver of a one and an halt ton endangered predator in my fridge and now I can't eat it!".
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: November 25, 2016, 09:57:40 am »

Tell that to the Native Inuit who have been living in the polar circle region for millenia. Or other indengenous peoples living within the polar circle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_circle

Also, I hear that the reason isn't that, but it's because of all the toxins that have been concentrated in the animal, which is what happens with being at the top of the food pyramid. Which is more relevant to modern times due to pollution than millenia ago,
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:01:13 am by smjjames »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13954 on: November 25, 2016, 12:12:05 pm »

Do the Inuit eat the organs, though, or just the meat and fat?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: November 25, 2016, 12:41:43 pm »

Fun fact: the dude who discovered this is actually an ancestor of mine.

And looking at wikipedia, it's been long known by the Inuit, if he can figure it out, then the Inuit would have certainly figured out what to avoid eating a long time ago.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: November 25, 2016, 12:55:05 pm »

Can't imagine polar bear liver is a common enough meal to not make the cause-effect connection.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13957 on: November 25, 2016, 12:58:56 pm »

Fun fact: the dude who discovered this is actually an ancestor of mine.
Aw, the only notable thing an ancestor of mine did... was to help put "Under God" in the Pledge. Thanks a fucking bunch, great-great-granddad or something like that, it's great to know that my ancestors are rolling in their graves at my blasphemy.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: November 25, 2016, 01:13:08 pm »

Well, at the very least it is likely one of your ancestors conquered the world, so there's always that guy too.
Love, scriver~

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13959 on: November 25, 2016, 01:15:10 pm »

Well, at the very least it is likely one of your ancestors conquered the world, so there's always that guy too.
I remember that after X years, anybody who has a living descendant has THE ENTIRE WORLD as their living descendants. How long is X?
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: November 25, 2016, 01:22:49 pm »

I remember that after X years, anybody who has a living descendant has THE ENTIRE WORLD as their living descendants. How long is X?

Depending on what you're talking about. If you mean the Last Universial Common Ancestor (of multicellular animals), a few hundred million years (or less, I don't know how long before the Cambrian Explosion it lived). If you mean the Eve/Adam of us all, several hundred thousand years, though that's only because we as a species went through a population bottleneck at one point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_universal_common_ancestor That has the microbial last universial common ancestor, I was thinking of the multicellular one, or at least the LUCA for all multicellular life alive today.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:37:07 pm by smjjames »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: November 25, 2016, 01:46:05 pm »

Depending on what you're talking about. If you mean the Last Universial Common Ancestor (of multicellular animals), a few hundred million years (or less, I don't know how long before the Cambrian Explosion it lived). If you mean the Eve/Adam of us all, several hundred thousand years, though that's only because we as a species went through a population bottleneck at one point.
I wonder about that.  For one thing, Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam are separated by almost 100 millenia at a minimum according to most estimates.  For another, neither of the two appear to correspond to any of the major species-wide population bottlenecks, theorized or otherwise (of which Toba I would cite as the most famous, albeit with the caveat that it itself is still far from well-proven scientifically).  Fascinatingly, most-recent analyses on the Y-chromosome suggest that Y-chromosomal Adam may date to the original emergence of anatomically-modern humans.  While Mitochondrial Eve is significantly younger, she's still older than most bottlenecks.  It's also important to remember that we haven't even finished mapping the mitochondrial DNA or Y-chromosomes of all humans yet; this is how Adam got pushed back so far since the old studies (new archaic Y-chromosomal DNA was discovered during genetic sequencing of Africans, allowing the identification of an earlier common patrilineal ancestor), and it could easily happen to Eve as well.  All these two are are the most recent matrilineal and patrilineal (respectively) ancestors. 

EDIT: Also, it's worth noting that any most recent common ancestor is not automatically a consequence of a population bottleneck; it's simply an individual who enjoyed significant reproductive success.  Dying without having children is simply one way in which this could occur; if the other family trees at any point between now and the present died out or bred into the MRCA's lineage, it would and did occur this way.  For instance, the MRCA of most Europeans may date to as recently as the medieval period, and smaller populations can be found to have MRCAs as recently as only 500 years ago. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:52:23 pm by Culise »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: November 25, 2016, 06:29:15 pm »

One of my oldest ancestors looked up at the sky as the war between the Starspawn and the Elder Things was taking place and went "fuck this noise, I'm hiding under that rock over there" and survived long enough to pass the racial memory down to Lovecraft.

Old Granny Pikaia.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: November 25, 2016, 06:31:53 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/25/politics/green-party-recount-wisconsin/index.html

Hopefully they can get the recount and audit done before the EC vote happens. Unfortunately, those of us who watched the 2000 elections, we saw how long that took, and those were just a couple counties. So, no guarantee it'll be done by then.

Edit: Pikaia is more of a great aunt, there were already primitive fish when it was alive.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:36:04 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: November 25, 2016, 06:33:02 pm »

If 2016 strikes again and they actually find hacked voting machines, there will 100% be a massive enough legal clusterfuck for a vote halt.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1249