Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395510 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13710 on: November 22, 2016, 05:52:41 pm »

The sad part, is that the US used to understand this. See the main themes of mainstream television from 60 years ago. It portrayed idealized personalities with a thick saccharine aftertaste.(Joan cleaver is the damn poster child, as is Martha Brady) These days? Freaking mama June from here comes Honey booboo.

When you hold up images in mainstream culture, people will subconsciously emulate it. We used to understand this, then something happened, and we lost our collective minds. We decided that human trash is normal, and gave it center stage in popular culture. And here we are, with reality TV star Donald trump as president of the US.
Exactly. Trump vs Kanye 2020 doesn't seem like a joke anymore

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: November 22, 2016, 06:00:31 pm »

The sad part, is that the US used to understand this. See the main themes of mainstream television from 60 years ago. It portrayed idealized personalities with a thick saccharine aftertaste.(Joan cleaver is the damn poster child, as is Martha Brady) These days? Freaking mama June from here comes Honey booboo.

When you hold up images in mainstream culture, people will subconsciously emulate it. We used to understand this, then something happened, and we lost our collective minds. We decided that human trash is normal, and gave it center stage in popular culture. And here we are, with reality TV star Donald trump as president of the US.
Exactly. Trump vs Kanye 2020 doesn't seem like a joke anymore

He's had some sort of meltdown however, so, the question of mental stability will certainly get grabbed by opponents. Also, in another article, I saw that apparently he refuses to ever compromise, which is probably completely BS.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: November 22, 2016, 06:30:14 pm »

We will solve this by replacing all television with star trek: The next generation re-runs.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: November 22, 2016, 06:33:17 pm »

I'd vote for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13714 on: November 22, 2016, 07:31:49 pm »

There aren't many people I would be glad to hear had been fed to wild animals, but the pieces of garbage who invented the reality tv craze? I'd be disappointed if it wasn't slowly, like Hannibal and the hogs slowly.

Back in the day TLC stood for The Learning Channel instead of Tasty Little Children or whatever it is now, I just call it the babyfucker channel at this point, and we have someone who has basically been elected as a reality tv stunt, so fuck you Survivor guy, fuck those Real World douchebags, fuck all the shitbags who wound up turning having a bunch of kids fall out of your ass into it's own genre, damn every last one of them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13715 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »

There aren't many people I would be glad to hear had been fed to wild animals, but the pieces of garbage who invented the reality tv craze? I'd be disappointed if it wasn't slowly, like Hannibal and the hogs slowly.

Back in the day TLC stood for The Learning Channel instead of Tasty Little Children or whatever it is now, I just call it the babyfucker channel at this point, and we have someone who has basically been elected as a reality tv stunt, so fuck you Survivor guy, fuck those Real World douchebags, fuck all the shitbags who wound up turning having a bunch of kids fall out of your ass into it's own genre, damn every last one of them.

And I remember the days when the Discovery channel was ALL about science, now it's stuff like Deadliest Catch. Though they did split that off into a channel that is solely for science stuff.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: November 22, 2016, 08:06:33 pm »

I miss the research channel.  All day, videos of lectures and presentations from scientists. Good stuff.

People seem to like Michael bay and explosions more though.

Likewise with "sexytime" that otherwise has no real cinematic reason for being included.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13717 on: November 22, 2016, 08:11:56 pm »

There was a period of time where I'd near-religiously watch the Military History Channel, not because I was overly interested in military history, but because it had somehow remained untouched by the main History Channel's abject stupidity (this was the Alien Era, I believe).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: November 22, 2016, 08:18:25 pm »

To be honest, it didn't start with reality shows. Before that came the soap series, which managed to turn scheming, backstabbing, cheating and libel into role models.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: November 22, 2016, 08:22:23 pm »

Asks who created reality TV. I want to say "C-SPAN?" but that's boring and my real guess would be Cops.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13720 on: November 22, 2016, 08:27:37 pm »

Apparently the conflict of interest is so bad that even if a foriegn client asked someone in the company (even a lower level manager for example) for a favor from the US and Trump never learned of it or acted on it, it would have political blowback

Given how ferociously the Republicans attacked the Clintons for their own conflict of interest issues (which the mainstream media never really brought up, to my knowledge, not to the same extent as Trumps), it's only fair that they apply the same scruitiny to their own President-elect. Though they're not likely to unless he does something stupid (of which there is a high chance) or does something that is pretty obviously conflict of interest.

He may be near-immune legally, but he is extremely endangeredly vulnerable politically.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:29:37 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: November 22, 2016, 09:09:51 pm »

Asks who created reality TV. I want to say "C-SPAN?" but that's boring and my real guess would be Cops.
I remember rescue 911 with William Shatner (1989). I think that was one of the first.
Startrek never was the same after that
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:15:30 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13722 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40:00 pm »

Family getting drunk and discussing politics is horrifying yet an oddly karmic punishment. I'm so sorry :P

Really though... this house is an echo chamber of fellow liberals and I'm still going crazy lol
My dad is telling everybody in detail about how he's going to disown a 15-year friend... Who's arriving here tomorrow... For liking Trump.

Let me reach across the aisle and say politics sucks when you can't walk away from.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13723 on: November 22, 2016, 09:41:59 pm »

Family getting drunk and discussing politics is horrifying yet an oddly karmic punishment. I'm so sorry :P

Really though... this house is an echo chamber of fellow liberals and I'm still going crazy lol
My dad is telling everybody in detail about how he's going to disown a 15-year friend... Who's arriving here tomorrow... For liking Trump.

Let me reach across the aisle and say politics sucks when you can't walk away from.

Freaking ouch.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: November 22, 2016, 09:44:23 pm »

Sucks being the moderate, doesn't it?

Misery loves company, so let me share this: more than half my family are koolaide drinking republicans who gleefully voted for trump, and are convinced the illuminati are real.

Being moderate centrist man is hard.  If I can survive doomsday prepped dad going off about the illuminati every holiday, I am sure you can survive the liberal equivalent.
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1249