Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395422 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13635 on: November 21, 2016, 11:31:56 pm »

... thing is, wierd, that first bit wasn't neutral, either. Violent clashes imply it's coming from both sides and fairly equitably

"There were violent clashes between Mahatma Ghandi's head and British soldiers' iron-shot batons today".

Being vague about who's doing what to whom is a form of bias itself isn't it?

That has somehow funny imagery of a disembodied Mahatma Ghandi's head being hit with batons.

It shouldn't be funny, but somehow is. I'm horrible, sorry.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: November 21, 2016, 11:50:00 pm »

... Are you suggesting we should just ignore what is happening today because we didn't do anything about what happened centuries ago? ???
I'm 3/8ths Comanche/Apache/Cherokee, and every day am surprised when I don't learn about some new awful thing being done or done in the past to indigenous peoples the world over. I'm saying the surprising thing would be if there was outrage about it, indeed part of the problem is framed in the post I replied to. "I'm surprised the government can do this to it's own people" you said? The only ones they really treat like their own are ones like me with enough ancestry from elsewhere to have merged into being part of "it's own people" rather than trying to be their own people.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: November 21, 2016, 11:55:38 pm »

No, it doesn't even do that.  The US bends over backwards for plutocrats, but gives the shaft to everyone else.

Respecting another nation's sovereignty? Lolololololol...(add several pages full of this repeat)...lolololol!

That is the real problem here. The us does not like being told NO.

Most Americans are completely unaware that the Indian nations are legally recognized foreign countries.

This is about as egregious as if these asshats were grenading Mexicans, in Mexico, and demanding the US assist them in doing so.

No, we are obligated by treaty to arrest and prosecute these asshats, but because they are rich plutocrats, we never will.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:59:37 pm by wierd »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13638 on: November 21, 2016, 11:57:31 pm »

rape culture

like, literally

it's a joke
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: November 22, 2016, 12:04:01 am »

If I were president, I'd abolish the reservation system because they don't deserve living under those conditions.

Might be misguided in some ways as it helps keep 'white people' off their lands and without it, they're more at risk of being exploited, but the reservation system is a relic of our history that we need to address.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: November 22, 2016, 12:05:34 am »

Sadly, it really isn't funny. The only thing funny about it is the absurd notion that they abide by their agreements.

Smjjames:  we can't. We don't own that land. That's the freaking point.

here, i will quote the treaty text with added emphasis.

ARTICLE 2. The United States agrees that the following district of country, to wit, viz: commencing on the east bank of the Missouri River where the forty-sixth parallel of north latitude crosses the same, thence along low-water mark down said east bank to a point opposite where the northern line of the State of Nebraska strikes the river, thence west across said river, and along the northern line of Nebraska to the one hundred and fourth degree of longitude west from Greenwich, thence north on said meridian to a point where the forty-sixth parallel of north latitude intercepts the same, thence due east along said parallel to the place of beginning; and in addition thereto, all existing reservations on the east bank of said river shall be, and the same is, set apart for the absolute and undisturbed use and occupation of the Indians herein named, and for such other friendly tribes or individual Indians as from time to time they may be willing, with the consent of the United States, to admit amongst them; and the United States now solemnly agrees that no persons except those herein designated and authorized so to do, and except such officers, agents, and employes of the Government as may be authorized to enter upon Indian reservations in discharge of duties enjoined by law, shall ever be permitted to pass over, settle upon, or reside in the territory described in this article, or in such territory as may be added to this reservation for the use of said Indians, and henceforth they will and do hereby relinquish all claims or right in and to any portion of the United States or Territories, except such as is embraced within the limits aforesaid, and except as hereinafter provided

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:09:30 am by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: November 22, 2016, 12:06:57 am »

Sadly, it really isn't funny. The only thing funny about it is the absurd notion that they abide by their agreements.

They still don't deserve to live in that situation or be mostly confined to the reservation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: November 22, 2016, 12:11:02 am »

no, they deserve better. but we cant take the land we have given them away. we can only give them new land.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: November 22, 2016, 12:12:11 am »

And where exactly do you plan for this land to come from, exactly?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: November 22, 2016, 12:15:08 am »

just about any national forest would be more appropriate to the original souix way of life than these reservations, but that will never happen.

that is why the system hasnt changed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: November 22, 2016, 12:15:56 am »

Well, tradition demands we pick somewhere desolate or even somewhere entirely unfit for human habitation, but I don't think anyone wants to live in New Jersey, so that basically leaves the big empty expanses of Nebransakotowantanaho?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: November 22, 2016, 12:16:49 am »

here, i will quote the treaty text with added emphasis.

ARTICLE 2. The United States agrees that the following district of country, to wit, viz: commencing on the east bank of the Missouri River where the forty-sixth parallel of north latitude crosses the same, thence along low-water mark down said east bank to a point opposite where the northern line of the State of Nebraska strikes the river, thence west across said river, and along the northern line of Nebraska to the one hundred and fourth degree of longitude west from Greenwich, thence north on said meridian to a point where the forty-sixth parallel of north latitude intercepts the same, thence due east along said parallel to the place of beginning; and in addition thereto, all existing reservations on the east bank of said river shall be, and the same is, set apart for the absolute and undisturbed use and occupation of the Indians herein named, and for such other friendly tribes or individual Indians as from time to time they may be willing, with the consent of the United States, to admit amongst them; and the United States now solemnly agrees that no persons except those herein designated and authorized so to do, and except such officers, agents, and employes of the Government as may be authorized to enter upon Indian reservations in discharge of duties enjoined by law, shall ever be permitted to pass over, settle upon, or reside in the territory described in this article, or in such territory as may be added to this reservation for the use of said Indians, and henceforth they will and do hereby relinquish all claims or right in and to any portion of the United States or Territories, except such as is embraced within the limits aforesaid, and except as hereinafter provided

Okay, I didn't know how the reservation system worked, so it really was misguided.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: November 22, 2016, 12:17:36 am »

just about any national forest would be more appropriate to the original souix way of life than these reservations, but that will never happen.

that is why the system hasnt changed.

Um, the Sioux were Plains indians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: November 22, 2016, 12:20:31 am »

Hmm, I get my facts confused at times. Most of the people that were boned hard by Jackson were east coast Indians that lived in forests.

The plains Indians were boned by Custer, and he got his in the end.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:38 am »

I'm saying the surprising thing would be if there was outrage about it, indeed part of the problem is framed in the post I replied to. "I'm surprised the government can do this to it's own people" you said? The only ones they really treat like their own are ones like me with enough ancestry from elsewhere to have merged into being part of "it's own people" rather than trying to be their own people.

What? I never said that, or anything like it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1249