Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395142 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13530 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:30 am »

Alright boys, lets get this party started

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*jeopardy theme plays in the distance*
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13531 on: November 21, 2016, 11:28:49 am »

Are we going into blood libel territory yet? Seems like we are.

Lemme go fetch my inquisitorial robes.

No, it is well known at this point.

Whether or not this act was condoned or encouraged is another question.

Both sides have escalated it many times in the past however.

It really is a never ending cycle of violence, and politicians on both sides aren't willing to sit down and say 'lets end this violence'. They have a right to defend themselves and not be genocided, but the same is true of the Palestinians by virtue of being human, the cycle of violence will only end when both sides sit down and say 'we need to stop this violence.'
Actually they were stopping the violence back before 2000s, and the quality of life for Palestinians was improving exponentially, before the Palestinian government decided to go "lol fuck you Jews" and start the senseless mass murder that was Second Intifada, which literally plunged them several decades backward:

Anyway, I have no idea what there is to discuss about USA's domestic politics, outside of Donald Trump forming up his Cabinet of Republican Doom. So far, there isn't anything significantly out of ordinary, with the exception of Bannon. Doesn't seem like it would be particularly pro-Russian, to be honest.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13532 on: November 21, 2016, 11:30:56 am »

Israel is extremely civilized in the face of having to deal people who regularly just go out and kill them

Ahh I see, so as long as the other Middle Eastern states have some justification (such as... say... Iran does) they can do whatever they want?

Also remember only 75% of Israel are Jewish.
Doesn't mean that they should resort to the same uncivilized things as what they're fighting against.

Also, the whole settlements stuff mirrors the whole 'invading indengenous populations lands and pushing them into a corner' that we (as in the US, but the West in general has done this as well) have done in the past. The only difference is that the two sides are on equal technological footing.
I don't recall Jews going out to stab Palestinians just for the crime of being Palestinians, so no, no they don't resort to the same things as the people they're fighting. As I've said, they're extremely civilized. Mostly because if they weren't, the Arabs would be in the middle of mounting yet another genocidal jihad on Israel, supported by a great deal of so-called "liberals" in Europe/USA, who think that stabbing children is totally fine, because Israel is totes evil guys.
No, they just shoot Palestinian soccer players in the feet at checkpoints.  That was a weird day.

In all seriousness tho, the amount of Palestinians killed by Israelis far outstrips the amount out of Israelis killed by Palestinians.  And the amount of Palestinian refugees far outstrips either of them by several orders of magnitude.

Like, I get that the two Palestinian governments are both terrorists, but.  That's what fucking happens when you don't let a country have a legit government or a legit military in the first place.  Its not good, but its the logical result of the events that transpired.  You want terrorists, this is how you get terrorists.

Also, American liberals are totally alone in disliking Israel.  That's an annual worldwide poll conducted by BBC and the best source I could find on the matter.  Scroll down 4 pages to see what I'm talking about.

Um, having two choices of mainly negative and mainly positive isn't representative of the range of opinions. For example, I do support Israels existence and that Israelis have a right to exist and not be genoicided, however, many of their actions aren't good and are only making things worse.

Also, I thought only one of them was heavily taken over by Hamas, the other one is just inept or something.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:34:16 am by smjjames »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13533 on: November 21, 2016, 11:33:17 am »

Israel is extremely civilized in the face of having to deal people who regularly just go out and kill them

Ahh I see, so as long as the other Middle Eastern states have some justification (such as... say... Iran does) they can do whatever they want?

Also remember only 75% of Israel are Jewish.
Doesn't mean that they should resort to the same uncivilized things as what they're fighting against.

Also, the whole settlements stuff mirrors the whole 'invading indengenous populations lands and pushing them into a corner' that we (as in the US, but the West in general has done this as well) have done in the past. The only difference is that the two sides are on equal technological footing.
I don't recall Jews going out to stab Palestinians just for the crime of being Palestinians, so no, no they don't resort to the same things as the people they're fighting. As I've said, they're extremely civilized. Mostly because if they weren't, the Arabs would be in the middle of mounting yet another genocidal jihad on Israel, supported by a great deal of so-called "liberals" in Europe/USA, who think that stabbing children is totally fine, because Israel is totes evil guys.
No, they just shoot Palestinian soccer players in the feet at checkpoints.  That was a weird day.

In all seriousness tho, the amount of Palestinians killed by Israelis far outstrips the amount out of Israelis killed by Palestinians.  And the amount of Palestinian refugees far outstrips either of them by several orders of magnitude.

Like, I get that the two Palestinian governments are both terrorists, but.  That's what fucking happens when you don't let a country have a legit government or a legit military in the first place.  Its not good, but its the logical result of the events that transpired.  You want terrorists, this is how you get terrorists.

Also, American liberals are totally alone in disliking Israel.  That's an annual worldwide poll conducted by BBC and the best source I could find on the matter.  Scroll down 4 pages to see what I'm talking about.

Palestinian refugees is an inheritted trait. If we apply the same logic to Israel, than no, there aren't more.

Besides, if we apply the pakestinians standars to others, then we are ALL refugees

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13534 on: November 21, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »

Are we going into blood libel territory yet? Seems like we are.

Lemme go fetch my inquisitorial robes.

No, it is well known at this point.

Whether or not this act was condoned or encouraged is another question.

Both sides have escalated it many times in the past however.

It really is a never ending cycle of violence, and politicians on both sides aren't willing to sit down and say 'lets end this violence'. They have a right to defend themselves and not be genocided, but the same is true of the Palestinians by virtue of being human, the cycle of violence will only end when both sides sit down and say 'we need to stop this violence.'
Actually they were stopping the violence back before 2000s, and the quality of life for Palestinians was improving exponentially, before the Palestinian government decided to go "lol fuck you Jews" and start the senseless mass murder that was Second Intifada, which literally plunged them several decades backward:
Which it bounced back from, in the grand scheme of history, pretty damn fast.
Also... do you understand what the Palestinian government is and what its history is?
So yeah, its more complicated than you're making it out to be.  They didn't go "lol, fuck the jews."  They did what had always worked for them.  Terrorism as a political tool is why they have a government in the first place.  What the do you expect people to do when they have the tiniest possible pieces of land and they're up against a modern military backed by the US government?  The Israeli government also constantly engages in slights, and occasionally lethal reprisal attacks, against Palestinians.

The Palestinians are doing peace talks, and they are doing peaceful protests, and it isn't working.  Israel's current occupied land far oustrips even what the arbitrary UN ruling granted them.  Yes, the terrorism is horrible, but you know what?  They have to choose between terrorism and not getting what they want.  Have they got any land since the second infatala?  No, no they haven't.  And if you opened the news anywhere except the US, (including fucking Israeli news sources written by Jews), you'd be reading about bulldozing homes in Jerusalem, and some really awful shit the Israeli hard right has said and done. On top of that there are regularly incidents of Palestinians robbed, attacked, beaten or even killed at checkpoints, protesters shot in the head, crotch, or kneecaps with rubber bullets on purpose, held down and forced to inhale tear gas.  And of course occasionally an outright massacre.  But of course those are the actions of an ill disciplined few, or mistakes.  Whereas Hamas speaks for all of Palestine.

Furthermore, your "children and knives" argument is overly narrow and emotional.  I've heard no argument that any Palestinian organization is targeting kids in particular.  They're targeting civilians, yes.  And that's horrible, and it should stop.  But again, they're not the only ones committing attrocities.  Magically, every time a conflict happens in that area, more poor, crying Palestinian orphans who just want a shilling for a piece of bread die than Israeli ones.  But I don't see you shedding any tears over that.  Because they're killed in a civilized way, at a distance, at the press of a button.  Its ok to kill kids as long as you don't directly know you're killing kids.

Furthermore, the current Israeli government has its roots in the Haganah, the Irgun, and the Lehi.  Which the Israeli government has issued no apology for or condemnation of.  So even if you have a blatant terrorists = always evil, you still got some thinking to do.  If the PA got control of Palestine area right now, and $3 billion a year in military assistance, you bet your butt Hamas would be a distant memory in a decade or two.

Anyway, not defending the terrorists.  I'm sure they're all bad people who have done bad things.  But they exist for a reason, which is that there are genuine grievances here, and no way to express them.  Its not "lol genocide."  The PA and PLO have both acknowledged Israel's right to live at the time of the Oslo Accords.  And the point is that the terrorists rose to power because they're the only one with the power to get things done (and even that's questionable).

Even this could be OK if Israel were just some overseas country having a bad time.  Because yes, the Israeli government also has a perspective, they've been on this land for a while.  And yes, its a tangled mess that's difficult to resolve.  But the point is, my country is propping up Israel, openly and in full defense of their actions.  So we've got blood on our hands for everything they've done, and everything they do, and everything they will do.

The US has a media blackout on Israel.  Occasionally they'll pay lip service to "Gaza strip this", "Israeli government issued statement on that", "international sources have condemned blank," but its all super shallow and essentially interchangable.  The point of the article I linked is that just because it seems like a simple issue from where you're standing doesn't mean that it actually is.  Remember, in the entire world, literally only in the US and Israel do more than half of people view Israel as a positive influence on the world.  Internationally, half specifically see their influence as having negative effects, and only about a quarter view them as positive.

Palestinian refugees is an inheritted trait. If we apply the same logic to Israel, than no, there aren't more.

Besides, if we apply the pakestinians standars to others, then we are ALL refugees
In any real political sense, Jews living abroad are not refugees from Israel because they never lived there.  And their parents never lived there, and their grandparents never lived there, ect. ect.  Whereas yes many of the Palestinian refugees haven't lived in Palestine, but they were displaced in the immediate past by the ancestors of the people who currently de facto rule the land.  Comparing those things seems maybe just a tad disingenuous.  Remember, the same organization that passed a resolution on Israel giving them pretty much their only historically justifiable claim to the land, also classifies these people as refugees.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13535 on: November 21, 2016, 02:01:54 pm »

somewhat off topic, but I predict this thread getting a lock in the next two days.

I really should start some sort of betting contest abiut that sort of thing
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13536 on: November 21, 2016, 02:06:06 pm »

The Saltcon System was sort of me betting on when it'd be locked, but in this brave new post-real world I've decided to never predict anything again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13537 on: November 21, 2016, 02:21:16 pm »

Snip
In any real political sense, Jews living abroad are not refugees from Israel because they never lived there.  And their parents never lived there, and their grandparents never lived there, ect. ect.  Whereas yes many of the Palestinian refugees haven't lived in Palestine, but they were displaced in the immediate past by the ancestors of the people who currently de facto rule the land.  Comparing those things seems maybe just a tad disingenuous.  Remember, the same organization that passed a resolution on Israel giving them pretty much their only historically justifiable claim to the land, also classifies these people as refugees.
[/quote]

huh? Jews living in Israel and abroad are refugees from Europe, Arabian countries and North African countries.

The palestinian definition of refugees, which applies only to them and not to the rest of the world is simply absurd and only serve to keep the palestinians in a miserable state as a soft creeping weapon against Israel.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lebanon-criticised-building-security-wall-around-palestinian-refugee-camp-1592696
The real source of misery for palestinians is their "brethren" in the Ummah and their PA/Hamas.

And remember, the same people who claim to be refugees REJECTED that resolution and immediately started a war to try and genocide people who just survived a genocide.

As for the rest about peaceful protests and the other nonsense, nah, not gonna go into that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:23:06 pm by Vilanat »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13538 on: November 21, 2016, 02:27:44 pm »

The palestinian definition of refugees, which applies only to them and not to the rest of the world is simply absurd and only serve to keep the palestinians in a miserable state as a soft creeping weapon against Israel.

Wait, why would the EVIL PALESTINIANS keep themselves in a miserable state if they have this much POWER? Or do you mean state as in country?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13539 on: November 21, 2016, 02:37:09 pm »

Yeah, Bay12 and Israeli politics don't mix.

Yeah, the whole Israel problem is controversial and there are many strong opinions on both sides, even here on Bay12. It hasn't gotten salty yet, but changing topic may be a good idea.

Wait, why would the EVIL PALESTINIANS keep themselves in a miserable state if they have this much POWER? Or do you mean state as in country?

He means state as in situation, and I have no idea.

I find this pretty analogous to how the US treated Native Americans in the past.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13540 on: November 21, 2016, 02:42:24 pm »

They don't keep themselves in this state.

"They" (And PA and the other Arab countries) do

The reasons are pretty obvious.

If the PA really wanted a state and peace, they would have gotten it long long time ago. not even talking about Hamas, because seriously, if you accept Hamas you accept ISIS.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13541 on: November 21, 2016, 02:49:54 pm »

Israel.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13542 on: November 21, 2016, 03:03:10 pm »

If they don't want a state and peace, then what do they want?
Israel.

Who, the Israelis or Palestinians?

I don't want to call it the source of the problems, but after WWII, the West (in our usual imperialistic map redrawing while giving no crap about the locals) gave the Jews a state of their own (though I hear that it had been heavily lobbied for decades before), just like we can't wipe clean the MidEast's redrawn border and hope for the best, we can't just wipe clean Israels borders and hope for the best.

It just seems like the situation is between a rock and a hard place in all three dimensions, there really isn't much of a good solution or way out of it.

The Cypriot reunification method looks like it could be a path if it works out for Cyprus. But BOTH sides have to be willing to sit down and figure something out. Also, about the only solution that I've heard be tried is a two state solution.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13543 on: November 21, 2016, 03:06:37 pm »

The Saltcon System was sort of me betting on when it'd be locked, but in this brave new post-real world I've decided to never predict anything again.
how many b& do you foresee?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13544 on: November 21, 2016, 03:07:48 pm »

how many b& do you foresee?

None, if we avoid being salty, or change the topic.
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1249