Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395479 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13275 on: November 18, 2016, 09:00:19 pm »

Hipaa makes it so you cannot even confirm a specific patient or resident is under your care, let alone what care they received, or any kind of details about that person.

What you can disclose to non-medical persons not involved in the care of a person? Not a gods damned thing. What can you disclose to another medical professional? Only that which has a specific need to be known, and then only to staff involved in that care, as is needed to provide said care.

That said, people are busybodies, and violate hipaa all the damn time. I personally do everything I can to avoid that when fulfilling my duties at the local nursing home.

Common occurrences: deaths.

People die when they get old. This happens a lot in long term care facilities. When people die, people that knew them want to know details. We can tell them nothing. The only thing we can legally tell them, is to contact the family for details. We cannot give the family's contact info, even if asked. We certainly cannot comment about the habits, preferences, or orientation of our residents. As I said earlier, we can't even confirm that the resident lives there to anyone not involved in their care.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:10:35 pm by wierd »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13276 on: November 18, 2016, 10:19:19 pm »

The cake is a lie.
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

sorry
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:45 pm »

Anyhow now that the United States is slated to be run by corporations... I wonder what you guys will do with your lives post-internet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: November 18, 2016, 10:43:02 pm »

Implying we won't have internet when they need it to sell us stuff?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: November 18, 2016, 10:43:56 pm »

But query to the medical professionals--it's against ethics for decades >_< It still happens nowadays though?
... ethics and legal culpability are two different things, perhaps unfortunately. Most oaths of ethical behavior or whatev' aren't legally binding. More or less, medical ethics on a lot of levels are a deterrent only insomuch as the practitioner in question values them.

And, uh. While a lot of people do go into medical work primarily because of some kind of ethical inclination towards the work (and particularly a number that stay in the field, because in a lot of ways for all the work tends to pay pretty well it doesn't pay what the work is worth), many also go into it primarily for other reasons -- financial angle, religious commitment, and so on. It's very easy for folks in that latter group to have things they value more than medical ethics in general. So... yeah. It still happens nowadays.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: November 18, 2016, 10:47:09 pm »

Eh, it looks like it's going to be about as filled with corporate and banking interests and lobbyists up the wazoo as Bush 43's admin was.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: November 18, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »

as a cord cutter who has already cut television in its entirety, i will be just fine.

i remember the days before the internet, and will settle into old, familiiar patterns.

however, Max is correct. the internet is too useful as a platform for datamining, govt spying and tracking, and political influence to completely destroy. likewise, nerds (like myself) know how the internet REALLY works, and can still make proper use of it, even in a dystopic horror setting. I have already given thought on how to hide secret, low bandwidth communications inside high bandwidth ones using steganography, and encryption.  i can livestream my cats 24/7, and hide a lot inside the feed, for instance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:02:21 pm by wierd »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: November 18, 2016, 11:06:39 pm »

I mean, it was made to withstand things like Trump... I mean nukes, what the fuck, I was thinking "nukes... which Trump might end up asking why he can't just nuke the internet" and my fingers split the difference, little bastards getting uppity again, might have to cut another off as a lesson to the rest.

The amount of traffic moving to p2p will just go up if anyone tries to shut down the main public nodes, and I would sooner expect Comcast to reveal it has nukes and use them than I would expect them to give up their monopoly easily.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: November 18, 2016, 11:14:23 pm »

I mean, it was made to withstand things like Trump... I mean nukes, what the fuck, I was thinking "nukes... which Trump might end up asking why he can't just nuke the internet" and my fingers split the difference, little bastards getting uppity again, might have to cut another off as a lesson to the rest.

The amount of traffic moving to p2p will just go up if anyone tries to shut down the main public nodes, and I would sooner expect Comcast to reveal it has nukes and use them than I would expect them to give up their monopoly easily.

comcast will be absorbed via an unopposed merger with a large media company, like disney. at which point, comcast supplied internet becomes disney chaannel 2.0

that is how the internet is threatened by this crew of idiots.

as i pointed out though, destroying the dark web is not possible. the net is the home turf of nerds. we know how to actually use technology.  we can make disneynet our bitch.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:16:52 pm by wierd »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: November 18, 2016, 11:29:30 pm »

as a cord cutter who has already cut television in its entirety, i will be just fine.

i remember the days before the internet, and will settle into old, familiiar patterns.

however, Max is correct. the internet is too useful as a platform for datamining, govt spying and tracking, and political influence to completely destroy. likewise, nerds (like myself) know how the internet REALLY works, and can still make proper use of it, even in a dystopic horror setting. I have already given thought on how to hide secret, low bandwidth communications inside high bandwidth ones using steganography, and encryption.  i can livestream my cats 24/7, and hide a lot inside the feed, for instance.

Everyone knows that the best way to preserve a secret hacker scheme to circumvent the government is to post the exact method on a public website. :P

Also, it's not like the government is full of old fogeys that can't even into technology. Somebody had to build PRISM and stuxnet and all that, and it wasn't whatever luddites you seem to be imagining as your opponent.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: November 18, 2016, 11:30:01 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: November 18, 2016, 11:37:40 pm »

Everyone knows that the best way to preserve a secret hacker scheme to circumvent the government is to post the exact method on a public website. :P

Also, it's not like the government is full of old fogeys that can't even into technology. Somebody had to build PRISM and stuxnet and all that, and it wasn't whatever luddites you seem to be imagining as your opponent.

Oh, silly one.

That's just one of the ideas I had. There are others much more capable than I, and never under estimate the stupidity of greed.

The whole IoT madness? Want to know the secret sauce?  Its not even elite hackers behind that botnet. The creators of the devices just couldn't be bothered to remove always on active telnet servers baked into the devices with read only configurations set to default passwords, like "password".  (Because doing so would make them cost a few cents more per unit.)

You don't need to tangle with the NSA head to head. You can do much just by exploiting the idiocy of the people taking power.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:04 pm »

Hmmm, I don't know shit about finances, what does: https://ycharts.com/companies/CMCSA/enterprise_value and https://ycharts.com/companies/DIS/enterprise_value mean?
... like. What part of it? What the EV (which that data seems to be directed at) is is described near the bottom* and... seems fairly straightforward?

Also, uh. How's this relevant to US politics?

It is a sum of claims of all preferred shareholders, debt holders, security holders, common equity holders, and minority shareholders - unlike market cap, which only captures the total value of common equity securities.
Bit more down there, but that's the EV itself.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: November 18, 2016, 11:42:15 pm »

I mentioned that DIS and CMCSA are destined to merge, now that all sense and reason has left Washington.

He is following up on the possibility of the prediction.

Based on current value, Comcast would absorb Disney. However, Disney has the more valuable brand, as ccast is synonymous with bad service, while Disney has meticulously manicured its image.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:45:18 pm by wierd »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: November 18, 2016, 11:49:32 pm »

I mentioned that DIS and CMCSA are destined to merge, now that all sense and reason has left Washington.

He is following up on the possibility of the prediction.

Based on current value, Comcast would absorb Disney. However, Disney has the more valuable brand, as ccast is synonymous with bad service, while Disney has meticulously manicured its image.
Yar, I was curious about it, though Comcast and Disney own NBC and ABC I think, which would be a problem, it did look like CMCSA had more value but a lower stock price so I was rather confused.
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1249