Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394764 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13125 on: November 17, 2016, 04:36:39 pm »

Yeah, that's a serious problem.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: November 17, 2016, 04:41:51 pm »

I'm not going 'too much disagree, therefore wrong' at it, it's just not very clearly written, the initial premise is supposedly 'Trump isn't racist', then evolves into some sort of 'whites aren't racist' argument' or something, then goes into a meltdown at the end. It's just not very coherent, or convincing.

Yeah, that's a serious problem.

Yes, the whole safe spaces (at least what they got turned into), trigger warnings, and microagressions (whatever the heck those are) are ridiculous.

Also, incoming constitutional/ethical crisis that Trump likely can't avoid: http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/17/news/companies/trump-hotel-labor-dispute/index.html The guy has conflicts of interest up the wazoo.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:44:14 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: November 17, 2016, 04:48:02 pm »

"Too much disagree?" If that's why you think we stopped reading, you've misunderstood what we were saying.

Don't misunderestimate our ability to discern bad propaganda.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: November 17, 2016, 04:52:53 pm »

I wasn't sure what weird said was aimed at. I found it somewhat incoherent and over half of it seemed to be trying to argue that 'whites aren't racist'.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: November 17, 2016, 04:57:41 pm »

I just skimmed it again.

Yes, cherry picked, but data presented.
Refutation not based on data with better data. Refutation based on pure internal reaction, thus, "disagree".

Is it likely misleading? Yes. Does that make his data wrong? No. Does his data present an inaccurate representation of reality? Possibly-- that requires better data in refutation. Is bland dismissal proper? No.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: November 17, 2016, 05:13:27 pm »

I wasn't sure what weird said was aimed at. I found it somewhat incoherent and over half of it seemed to be trying to argue that 'whites aren't racist'.

It appears to mean that "a huge part of the left thinks any disagreement with someone is an attack on their identity." I think this is correct.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: November 17, 2016, 05:14:45 pm »

Yes. That is the thesis of my initial reaction.

The counterstroke, is that such castigation erodes banality, and turns it into animosity.

It creates the very racism it demonizes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:16:27 pm by wierd »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: November 17, 2016, 05:18:54 pm »

That's not nearly something limited to the left, sho, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13133 on: November 17, 2016, 05:23:01 pm »

Yes, the whole safe spaces (at least what they got turned into), trigger warnings, and microagressions (whatever the heck those are) are ridiculous.

Having actually read about them rather than jokes about them, they are perfectly reasonable. Safe spaces have always existed -- they used to be called home or church. It's not a problem to provide a place where someone can avoid stressors. Trigger warnings occurred in the '50s; "If you have a weak heart, be prepared to step outside the room." For people who don't know what microagressions are, I recommend Citizen: An American Lyric, by Claudia Rankine, which hammers the point home.

The invention of the SJW is an intentional framing of several liberal positions specifically to weaken the liberal coalition of the organized working class, the educated, and minority groups.

Use rationality and research to blow away the smokescreen an you will see that the actions of a few teenagers are being extrapolated to some kind of massive movement.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: November 17, 2016, 05:26:57 pm »

That isn't what the article was saying, at least in the first three sections, wierd, and cherry-picked data isn't data anymore, it's just garbage. I, for one, have no desire to waste time trying to rebut garbage.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: November 17, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »

I wasn't sure what weird said was aimed at.

It appears to mean that "a huge part of the left thinks any disagreement with someone is an attack on their identity." I think this is correct.

AKA all that safe space, microagression (is that the 'any disagreement' part?), and cultural appropriation stuff. Though that's the more extreme manifestation of it.

Having actually read about them rather than jokes about them, they are perfectly reasonable. Safe spaces have always existed -- they used to be called home or church. It's not a problem to provide a place where someone can avoid stressors. Trigger warnings occurred in the '50s; "If you have a weak heart, be prepared to step outside the room." For people who don't know what microagressions are, I recommend Citizen: An American Lyric, by Claudia Rankine, which hammers the point home.

The invention of the SJW is an intentional framing of several liberal positions specifically to weaken the liberal coalition of the organized working class, the educated, and minority groups.

Use rationality and research to blow away the smokescreen an you will see that the actions of a few teenagers are being extrapolated to some kind of massive movement.

Or 'not for the faint of heart'

Except that the safe spaces and microagressions and trigger warnings were taken to a ridiculous extreme where it was actually leading to dividing people and even preventing or discouraging healthy discussion.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: November 17, 2016, 05:28:30 pm »

The Russians called them useful idiots in the cold war.

We just handed them a really big microphone set on full reverb.

Instead of the KGB, we have wholly domestic forces using them though, in both directions.

To blow the smoke off requires intellectual rigor; that means addressing cherry picked data with proper data, and similar objective methods. (You don't actually KNOW the data is cherry picked until you see the full dataset.)

Not subjective dismissal.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:30:05 pm by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: November 17, 2016, 05:30:18 pm »

I wasn't subjectively dismissing the article, I don't think.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: November 17, 2016, 05:30:51 pm »

http://pages.uoregon.edu/koopman/courses_readings/rorty/rorty_achieving_country_ch1.pdf

Quote from: Richard Rorty
Members of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white collar workers--themselves desperately afraid of being downsized--are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else.

At that point, something will crack. The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for--someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots...

One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past forty years by black and brown American,s and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion... All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet.

A salient piece, must have been watching the run up to Trump huh...

Quote from: Oh wait, no...
--Achieving Our Country: Leftist Thought in Twentieth-Century America, 1998
Dammit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: November 17, 2016, 05:32:57 pm »

http://pages.uoregon.edu/koopman/courses_readings/rorty/rorty_achieving_country_ch1.pdf

Quote from: Richard Rorty
Members of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white collar workers--themselves desperately afraid of being downsized--are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else.

At that point, something will crack. The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for--someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots...

One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past forty years by black and brown American,s and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion... All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet.

A salient piece, must have been watching the run up to Trump huh...

Quote from: Oh wait, no...
--Achieving Our Country: Leftist Thought in Twentieth-Century America, 1998
Dammit.

Or the first page with publisher information even.

But yes, that person is pretty farsighted (or foreseeing) for seeing that issue then.
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1249