Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393536 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12990 on: November 16, 2016, 02:09:49 pm »

Just Build a Wall around the city, Wierd

Keep out illegal air currents

Though I would actually be curious as to how hard it would end up being to build down, rather than up. Would earthquakes be more devastating or something?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12991 on: November 16, 2016, 02:10:27 pm »

Ii presume crops won't be efficient, but Eggs, Chicken meat and Milk might.

[Extended Mark Hamill Joker Laugh]

*cough*

Ever take a biology course? (Or physics, lol)

Shame for me (Or more precisely, my college) i did! was so side tracked with the fantasy of self sustaining cities that animals also need to feed was a blindspot.

Perhaps you played too much DF? (No such thing!) In DF, animals are actually a good compact food source - non-grazers can be packed pretty tightly before they start to kill each other, and grazers only need a few tiles of grass. That can produce almost a hundred meat every year (for the large, quickly-reproducing ones) although fifty is more like it. For crops to do the same, you'd need skilled farmers. Butchery and such takes exactly the same time for a Dabbling and a Legendary Butcher to do (when slaughtering pets, not when butchering corpses), so it's an unskilled labour.

Of course, that's rather unrealistic, and animals are an incredibly bad compact food source. The only time they are ever better than crops is on a mountain or something, where you can put goats but not wheat.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: November 16, 2016, 02:10:38 pm »

Air quality. CO2 is heavier than breathable air.

Building DOWN requires significantly more detailed civic planning, needs air recirculation infrastructure-- thousands could die from a power failure from suffocation.

It is essentially comparable to planning a city on Mars.  Building upwards is much easier.

(You can also factor in that built structures are a long-term investment, and cannot be easily demolished and replaced. So, when your urban dwellers think it is OK to allow that black mold problem to spread........ Yeah. You cant just "tear it down and rebuild" to get rid of it. Going DOWNWARD has serious issues.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:16:17 pm by wierd »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:43 pm »

Ah.

Underground farms!

But yeah I can see how that would introduce complications.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12994 on: November 16, 2016, 02:15:19 pm »

Just live in the caverns, stupid. :P
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:43 pm »

Just Build a Wall around the city, Wierd

Keep out illegal air currents

Though I would actually be curious as to how hard it would end up being to build down, rather than up. Would earthquakes be more devastating or something?
iirc we actually have the tech to deal with that sort of thing, to a fair degree. Conceptually if nothing else, though I don't recall used/tested much due to not many people (able to fund it) being stupid or desperate enough to build anything sizable underground where there's substantial seismic activity.

The hard part comes in the effort. Underground construction of any meaningful scale basically starts at notably expensive and rapidly advances towards ludicrous, near as I can recall. Moving all the earth and rock, making it structurally sound, etc., etc., etc. And that's assuming you don't have to deal with aquifers or anything of similar nature. Lot more problems than just building up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: November 16, 2016, 02:20:56 pm »

That comes from them not being ALLOWED to repair said equipment themselves.

See for example, the greedy bullshit of the DMCA, and its exercise on the control systems inside modern farm equipment.

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/new-high-tech-farm-equipment-nightmare-farmers/

http://modernfarmer.com/2016/07/right-to-repair/

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/08/17/432601480/diy-tractor-repair-runs-afoul-of-copyright-law
This interested me, since I help get parts for farm vehicles and the likes... so I looked into it further. 

This link to copyright.gov came from the NPR one.  Reading the final resolution, at least for this, I think they did end up granting an exemption for vehicle repair, among other things.  (Fun note about discontinued video games and jailbreaking consoles too.) 
The exemption might have been limited to 12 months(? I obviously didn't read the whole damn thing), so who knows where its at now.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: November 16, 2016, 02:27:55 pm »

I know they gave an exception to devices that a user wholly owns, such as cellphones and the like, to circumvent the measures in order to REPLACE the protected content with wholly new content.

EG, I can replace samsung's horrible POS on my phone with Cyanogenmod, which is wholly open source.

I suppose this creates a market for FOSS control software for agricultural hardware, but AFAIK, none currently exists.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: November 16, 2016, 02:36:23 pm »

I suppose this creates a market for FOSS control software for agricultural hardware, but AFAIK, none currently exists.
I have no clue what that means, but hey...  As long as we can get it working right enough, its good enough for us...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12999 on: November 16, 2016, 02:39:09 pm »

Foss is free, open source software. Should clear things up.

Uh, in other news, apparently a chunk of NC is on fire?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13000 on: November 16, 2016, 02:55:10 pm »

Uh, in other news, apparently a chunk of NC is on fire?

Probably not a good thing.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: November 16, 2016, 03:40:14 pm »

*sigh*

Protesting en-mass always makes tensions high, increasing paranoia and fear, leading to violence. (Either from the government, or the public.)

Fires tend to get started when people react that way.

This was probably inevitable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: November 16, 2016, 03:41:26 pm »

It's forest fires.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: November 16, 2016, 03:42:44 pm »

Really?!  I am so happily surprised!

That's at least some good news in all this madness.

Not good that forests are on fire, but good it wasnt caused by human stupidness.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13004 on: November 16, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »

are you so sure

aaaaaarrrrrssssoooonnnn
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1249