Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392975 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12900 on: November 16, 2016, 10:21:19 am »

Yeah, Clinton herself never visited Wisconsin even once, while Trump did at least three times. Up to labor day anyhow, doesn't show for the rest of the way to Election day.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12901 on: November 16, 2016, 10:25:00 am »

My newspaper reports that Hillary passed the 1 million mark. She won the popular vote by more than a million votes so far.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/htmlview?sle=true#gid=19
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:55 am »

CNN and BBC put it at not quite 950k.

Not that it really makes a difference.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: November 16, 2016, 10:30:03 am »

From labor day, smj, not up to. Tracks from september 5th till november 7th.

And yeah, last I checked it was over a million, with the continued potential to further widen a bit, I think. Though checking it does look like it might be a bit under, now. It's kinda' hard to tell because all these bastards are continuing the voting day behavior of not bloody agreeing with each other aarrrgh
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:31:58 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: November 16, 2016, 10:39:40 am »

From labor day, smj, not up to. Tracks from september 5th till november 7th.

My mistake. Yea, I don't recall her (or any of her surrogates) ever visiting Wisconsin or Upper Michigan (the forgotten Michigan) other than maybe during the primaries.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: November 16, 2016, 10:41:23 am »

My newspaper reports that Hillary passed the 1 million mark. She won the popular vote by more than a million votes so far.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/htmlview?sle=true#gid=19
Still less than 48% of the total vote anyway.  It's really something when neither major candidate got more than 50% of the vote. I had to look it up; this is the 14th time that has occurred.  Want to really blow your mind? Lincoln was elected with less than 40% of the popular vote.

And the concentration of the disparity in votes is really interesting from an anthropological standpoint; we've really got to try and address that issue as a society, I think.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:40 am »

Still less than 48% of the total vote anyway.  It's really something when neither major candidate got more than 50% of the vote. I had to look it up; this is the 14th time that has occurred.  Want to really blow your mind? Lincoln was elected with less than 40% of the popular vote.

To be fair, that was when the country was already undergoing a hard split along a definete faultline, the Democrats contemporary to Lincolins time were also split between northern and southern groups. Other than there being divisiveness, the situation then really isn't comparable.

And the concentration of the disparity in votes is really interesting from an anthropological standpoint; we've really got to try and address that issue as a society, I think.

Yes, yes we do need to address it. There is a Rural vs Urban divide, but neither can live without the other, the rural farms and communities need the financial centers of the cities to fuel the economy and sell food to, the urban cities would starve without the rural farms and communities.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12907 on: November 16, 2016, 10:55:07 am »

Considering that third parties DO exist, despite what many try to pretend, under 50% is completely unsurprising.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: November 16, 2016, 11:13:55 am »

Considering that third parties DO exist, despite what many try to pretend, under 50% is completely unsurprising.
Third parties are, however, completely ineffective at actually posing any kind of challenge to the main two, and they barely have any representation on the lower levels of governance, which is why it's only barely hyperbolic to state that they don't exist.

Unless all states follow the example of Mainiacs and switch to ranked voting, they'll continue to be so.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: November 16, 2016, 11:17:25 am »

Yeah, they... did better than they usually did this year, iirc. Still functionally nonexistent, but more of the country went 3rd party than usual! At least so far as the popular vote went. Can't recall them making much in the way of gains anywhere else, ha.

Who knows, another few elections and they might just end up politically relevant rather than a somewhat convenient pseudo-scapegoat and not much else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:22 am »

Yes, yes we do need to address it. There is a Rural vs Urban divide, but neither can live without the other, the rural farms and communities need the financial centers of the cities to fuel the economy and sell food to, the urban cities would starve without the rural farms and communities.
I wouldn't be so sure - I would wager the rural can live just fine without the urban, but definitely not the other way around.  The rural "has to sell" to the urban only because of tax laws - if farmers didn't have to pay tax, they could very likely be subsistence easily enough, producing only enough for their own needs*. People are indeed wage slaves in this country, in that if you don't do something that can be traded, you aren't even allowed to keep what you have.  Now yeah you might be able to live off welfare or whatever, but you won't "own" anything.

Hence the big issues with automation and concentration of ownership of productive capital that was a factor in the election.

* That is, of course, in a dire scenario; farmers today do sell to urban areas because they can make a large profit off it.  Although there are other factors like how would a farmer defend land, etc.  But that kind of devolves into almost feudal estates or something.  Interesting how a lot of the founding fathers owned a lot of farmland, isn't it?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: November 16, 2016, 11:28:53 am »

Cities could import food from abroad.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: November 16, 2016, 11:36:27 am »

I guess if he really wanted to squeeze the cities, Trump could impose high import taxes on food. Should probably apply those taxes to tea as well, just for good measure.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: November 16, 2016, 11:39:07 am »

Farmers don't even sell enough to make a profit- their profit comes almost entirely from government subsidies. This is done so that food costs as little as possible, and so that the government can have direct control over the market.
That's actually kind of proof right there that urban areas can't live without the rural - if farmers didn't have those subsidies, would they produce food in the quantities they currently do?

It's actually, in a way, surprising that the rural areas don't try to exert more power. It's amazing what "Hey, you like to eat, don't you?" can do in a negotiation.  You could probably write a lot of dystopian fiction based on that (that's of one of the many things that bothered me about Hunger Games - if you really don't want your oppressors to keep oppressing you, just stop making stuff for them! Yeah, you might have to sacrifice yourself for that, though).

Granted, it would have to take *enough* farmers to strike for this to work.  Kind of interesting how I've never heard of a farmer strike...  kind of a cruddy article (yay for keyboard smashing in the middle of it!) but apparently this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Agriculture_Movement

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: November 16, 2016, 11:40:41 am »

Good luck getting the farmers in other countries to strike, especially when food prices rise in USA.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1249