Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392329 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12795 on: November 15, 2016, 04:32:30 pm »

RPG:

I would say taking real action to solve the underlying problem as soon as possible is the correct solution.

Waiting, and treating only the easy parts does not work on:

Paying taxes
Resolving debts
Medical issues
Marital affairs
Legal matters

Why should it be different here? Because fixing it is hard?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: November 15, 2016, 04:49:34 pm »

So I have a question for you folks.

In government policy, is it more important to try and improve lives now, even if it means that in the future it will be harder to, or communities won't be able to develop as effectively/quickly, or to make sure the community will grow and thrive in the future, even if it means suffering for people now?

And if you think it depends on timescale, around what time differential does the flip happen?
Prevent suffering now, but it isn't a zero-sum game, you can do things which have some short-term benefit and long-term increases in general quality of life. Education investments improve the skillset and knowledge base now, and have knock-on effects for their children and lifestyle. The dollar multiplier effects of certain types of welfare lead to direct infusions of liquid cash locally, while improved nutrition leads to better health, reduction in crime rates (you stop caring so much whether something is legal when you're hungry enough), and general upward economical mobility down the road. Investments in infrastructure mean local jobs, resource transport and processing, and long term utility (GODDAMMIT WHY IS THIS NOT OBVIOUS, FUCK) for the local communities and/or those linked by it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: November 15, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »

Everyone agrees roads and bridges are good things.

The problem is that people in place A, don't want to pay for infrastructure in place B, because "don't live in B!"

Never mind that the economy in place A uses goods and services from place B, and helping B build and retain that infrastructure means better living and more jobs in A.

No, "Don't live in B!!" Kills it, every fucking time.

Ipsil:

Really? I keep expecting a trademark violation charge from insane clown posse, stating that trump is trying to steal their brand.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:00:32 pm by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: November 15, 2016, 05:17:48 pm »

Looking at Trump's cabinet, I have this to say: to those who call this the Second Gilded Age, give it time. We might even surpass the first.

Remember, they still have to get through the Senate. And yeah, so many of the rumored choices, especially economy wise, are all big business CEOs and stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: November 15, 2016, 05:23:12 pm »

Looking at Trump's cabinet, I have this to say: to those who call this the Second Gilded Age, give it time. We might even surpass the first.

Remember, they still have to get through the Senate. And yeah, so many of the rumored choices, especially economy wise, are all big business CEOs and stuff.

As they should be. America SHOULD be controlled by big business.

Ohh I just realized. You know all those media protection laws that weren't passed because they allow the entertainment industry to control the internet? Expect them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: November 15, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »

Regulatory capture!? What's that!?

You mean people who have close ties to industries they are supposed to regulate are a BAD thing!?

/sarcasm

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12801 on: November 15, 2016, 05:53:57 pm »

Oh shit no, we don't need another America. Especially not another oldAmerica.

That gave me an idea about an alternate world thing where they find there's another identical Earth parallel to this one, and Earth-1 America ends up at war with Earth-2 America. Basically both Americas decide the last thing they need is another country equally powerful as themselves to exist, so they both start plotting to nuke each other through the wormholes.
Oh fuck yes. I will steal that idea, thank you very much. I've been wanting to write something, but I never thought up a good-enough prompt. That problem is no longer a problem, heh. Although I wonder if it could be improved by:

1. Having them in different time periods, like my original thought?
2. Having slight historical differences that result in a different America?

[DERAIL_INTENSIFIES]

You'll know once he starts building new highways. And an Atlantic Wall.

A highway and a wall aren't much different in construction. One just sticks up out of the ground more. Trump can promise to build 3000 miles of new highway then use the mats for his wall instead. The only risk is that the builders will be standing on the Mexican side of the wall when they place the last block and won't be able to pathfind back into America.
Just build another wall at the last square, but suspend it. Although that does require sufficient resources for the designation, so he'd have to either borrow more money or make Mexico pay for the phantomwall.

As they should be. America SHOULD be controlled by big business.

Ohh I just realized. You know all those media protection laws that weren't passed because they allow the entertainment industry to control the internet? Expect them.

You missed a /s or :P there, Neo. Right? Right?!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:03:39 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: November 15, 2016, 06:05:14 pm »

No, with the picks Herr Trump has been making, there is no joke there.

Somebody please remind the president about how oversight works, m'kay? Pretty please?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: November 15, 2016, 06:12:04 pm »

Look we all have to give Trump a chance!

Just because he is doing things that are phenomenally suspect that we wouldn't allow any other politician to get away with it... only means we need to give Trump even more of a chance.

Stop being so democrat! You lost! stop trying to circumvent democracy by actually paying attention to him!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: November 15, 2016, 06:16:33 pm »

No, with the picks Herr Trump has been making, there is no joke there.

Somebody please remind the president about how oversight works, m'kay? Pretty please?

I think he does, why do you think he hasn't released his tax returns? Not sure how much of the senate needs to vote yea on an appointee to confirm it, but considering how much the Republicans have been blockading Obamas appointees, I'd say more than half.

At this point, my biggest fear is Trump decides the presidency is too hard and decides to relinquish more power to his advisors/cabinet.

With Pence having Cheney as his role model, looks like we're headed for a similar 'idiot/fool head of state, but powerful PM/VP' type situation. Though Bush looks like a genius compared to Trump.

Also, yet another republican (Marco Rubio) says to the effect of 'no comment and no opinion' on Bannon. I swear they're just covering their asses so as to not get the wrath of Trump. Is there no Republican that will stand up to the likes of Bannon?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:20:31 pm by smjjames »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: November 15, 2016, 06:29:12 pm »

It is written, only Link can defeat Bannon
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: November 15, 2016, 06:48:59 pm »

Publicly, no, not many GOP politicians are going to stand up to bannon. If they come out for, too hard, people are going to remember and -- as noted earlier -- bannon is the sort of critter that even a lot of the republican base isn't entirely comfortable acknowledging. If they denounce, well, you just affronted someone that's now close to the oval office and has the support of a smaller but louder (and notably more likely to shoot you, for what that's worth) chunk of your base, too. There's basically not really a win condition for closer to center (if in nothing but demeanor) GOP politicians when it comes to folks like bannon, particularly when they're in a position with much power. So they're probably going to stay pretty mellow on that front, if I had to take a guess.

Now, the GOP being weaselly little shits they are, there's all sorts of things that could turn that guess on its head. Trump screws up enough and public opinion turns on him hard, you're more likely to see some noise towards the alt-right & co shitheels. It actually turns out he's not a disaster and somehow or another what he's been saying he wants to do works, or he manages to 180 on it hard enough without the base revolting on him, and sentiment actually starts rising, then you're probably going to see politicians warm up to the guys in question. Somewhere in between, where things go as expected but folks aren't as quick to get pissed about it, things'll stay about the same. Tbh, so far as the US right goes, that second one is probably our worst outcome. Further normalization of that sort of conservative and more expressing of their voice and messages is a distinct loss for just about anyone approaching sane in this country.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: November 15, 2016, 06:52:27 pm »

It's not just the "I don't live in B, why should I pay for a bridge there?" that stops public works projects. Public works projects in B also don't get funded in B - because usually public works projects have a very high upfront cost with a very diffuse, long-term payback period.

Consider even non-publics works projects for an example: consider what it would take to convert your house to off-grid solar. This is probably going to take on the order of $20,000 to go wholly off-grid. That's a massive up-front cost and a payback period of 10 to 20 years, and that's assuming you use it that entire time and don't include maintenance costs (it's unlikely that you'd get the full residual value of the installation back as increased sale price on your home).

If you finance, you're going to be looking at more than $1-$2k per year of payback (due to interest) so really you're hedging against power cost inflation to be higher than your financing cost to make it make any kind of financial sense.

Now expand that to publics works projects: just how much do you gain for your $100 a year in property tax increases to have that road in your area paved? Maybe you save the cost of one flat tire or suspension repair in direct costs over your stay in the area. Hardly worth $100 a year.  But how do you account for the other hard-to-attribute benefits, like increased property value? Is spending that $100 a year (or whatever) going to give you more than a $100 per year incremental increase in your property value? Essentially, "nobody knows" is the answer (especially considering you might have some completely unrelated event that causes property values to spike or crash).

THAT is the reason why even "obvious" public works projects are controversial.  And that doesn't even get into nonsense like corruption, contract award processes, or any of that kind of stuff.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: November 15, 2016, 07:23:05 pm »

I know the Republicans want to keep their political hides intact, but the reason for speaking out against Bannon goes beyond politics.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: November 15, 2016, 07:25:08 pm »

Sure, but most of the GOP displayed pretty clearly this last year they don't really care about anything else :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1249