Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390787 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12615 on: November 14, 2016, 10:11:47 pm »

Is this a troll? Am I being trolled? That's a thing that happens on the internet right? I was making a joke about the recursion. Your response makes me question if we're even actually speaking the same language here.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on. I'm not a troll. I am a humanBeing without a senseOf(humor).
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12616 on: November 14, 2016, 10:13:03 pm »

Honestly I'm pretty insulted. You're applying totally different meanings to the same word.

This is refuckingdiculous.

Please elucidate. Which two meanings, where, in which context, in which post?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: November 14, 2016, 10:13:19 pm »

You've totally missed my point here wierd. It really doesn't matter what you mean by tolerance. You say it's just accept that people feel a certain way, fine, how do you go around and say that it's then LESS FINE for people to feel a different way, specifically in a way that feeling one way is wrong?

But, no, that's not what you do. Instead you say Intolerance (Legislation and physical action) of Intolerance (how someone feels.) is wrong. You're applying two different meanings to the same word.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: November 14, 2016, 10:13:23 pm »

I am recursively intolerant of people who use "ironic" in an ironic fashion without grasping the reason it is actually ironic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: November 14, 2016, 10:15:03 pm »

Yes, the Meribster dictionary.

Google is fairly sure that dictionary doesn't exist. ;)

https://www.google.com/#q=meribster+dictionary

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12620 on: November 14, 2016, 10:18:39 pm »

You've totally missed my point here wierd. It really doesn't matter what you mean by tolerance. You say it's just accept that people feel a certain way, fine, how do you go around and say that it's then LESS FINE for people to feel a different way, specifically in a way that feeling one way is wrong?

But, no, that's not what you do. Instead you say Intolerance (Legislation and physical action) of Intolerance (how someone feels.) is wrong. You're applying two different meanings to the same word.

The first has another word for it, the the latter does not.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tyranny

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12621 on: November 14, 2016, 10:21:06 pm »

@LW: From what I've seen of the alt-right, they don't support LGBT whatsoever. Though I suppose when I think alt-right I think monarchists and shit, not just 'far-right pseudo-nazis'.
From what I've seen, they don't want to support it, but their movement's leaders do

I am recursively intolerant of people who use "ironic" in an ironic fashion without grasping the reason it is actually ironic.
My favourite one is being intolerant of people who are intolerant of those who use ironic in an inaccurate fashion, but themselves do not understand when irony is being accurately employed and so attack all who may resemble any form of irony, in common or accurate usage

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: November 14, 2016, 10:22:10 pm »

... My point Wierd. Is that you. Or, rather, Doze with you emphatically agreeing. Are using the same word for both!

If you had said Tyranny to suppress Intolerance is not acceptable, you'd probably find more agreement from me then saying Intolerance for Intolerance is not acceptable. Of course, there'd be less room for backpatting.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12623 on: November 14, 2016, 10:23:29 pm »

That's certainly not how I'm using the terms.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: November 14, 2016, 10:23:42 pm »

Both are linguistically equal. One is just ambiguous.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: November 14, 2016, 10:26:06 pm »

Doze:
"Islam is bad and it is bad to practice it." This is intolerance.
"Intolerance is bad and it is bad to practice it." This isn't. There's a big difference between intolerance and Islam. I'm finding it hard to express though.

You're going to have to find it within yourself to express this then if you want to try to explain how the second one is worse then the first.

(Why didn't I get the someone posted message?)

Weird: Okay, like I said, you're using different meanings for the same word, within the same sentence more over! This is not something you should do if you want to be understood.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:27:44 pm by Criptfeind »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: November 14, 2016, 10:26:18 pm »

@LW: From what I've seen of the alt-right, they don't support LGBT whatsoever. Though I suppose when I think alt-right I think monarchists and shit, not just 'far-right pseudo-nazis'.
From what I've seen, they don't want to support it, but their movement's leaders do

My favourite one is being intolerant of people who are intolerant of those who use ironic in an inaccurate fashion, but themselves do not understand when irony is being accurately employed and so attack all who may resemble any form of irony, in common or accurate usage

It must be nice to be so easily entertained...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: November 14, 2016, 10:31:04 pm »

Doze:
"Intolerance is bad and it is bad to practice it." This isn't. There's a big difference between intolerance and Islam. I'm finding it hard to express though.

You're going to have to find it within yourself to express this then if you want to try to explain how the second one is worse then the first.

Weird: Okay, like I said, you're using different meanings for the same word, within the same sentence more over! This is not something you should do if you want to be understood.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

It is a perfectly cogent sentence.

Really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

Ambiguity causes breakdown in communication. However, note I am not the one who started the dialog with that choice of words. I merely pointed out the error.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: November 14, 2016, 10:31:57 pm »

Ambiguity causes breakdown in communication. However, note I am not the one who started the dialog with that choice of words. I merely pointed out the error.

No, like I said, Doze started it, and you wholeheartedly agreed. You didn't point out shit. I had to spend like 20 minutes digging though your non sequitur responses to suss it out.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12629 on: November 14, 2016, 10:32:47 pm »

... My point Wierd. Is that you. Or, rather, Doze with you emphatically agreeing. Are using the same word for both!

If you had said Tyranny to suppress Intolerance is not acceptable, you'd probably find more agreement from me then saying Intolerance for Intolerance is not acceptable. Of course, there'd be less room for backpatting.

Intolerance of intolerance is not a good thing and that is my opinion. If you want to argue otherwise, that's your right. :P

Intolerance, as people practice it, should not be accepted. But we should be able to live alongside bigots (ferex), interact peaceably with bigots, see bigots as human beings.

A good definition is "respect and kindness toward members of an outgroup," as the SSC person puts it. Even if that outgroup lacks respect and kindness toward other people.

Also, I reread Crashmaster's slightly-unclear post and it turns out that he didn't say to intolerate the intolerant AFAICT. To reiterate, I have been tilting at windmills. This whole thing is confused because it started with a misunderstanding.

Doze:

To clear things up, my post stated that the second is not intolerance and the first is.

And that point no longer makes sense to me, so I will abandon it. I was getting somewhat confused with all the different definitions, that I will admit.

Basically - people should be respectful to disrespectful people. That's all I mean now. Don't out-group those who out-group others. Don't fight fire with fire.

No, like I said, Doze started it, and you wholeheartedly agreed.

Quote and elucidate, please. Where did I equivocate?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:34:53 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1249