Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390606 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12585 on: November 14, 2016, 08:42:04 pm »

Because McCarthyism and concentration camps are obviously good ideas and we need more of them in our history.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: November 14, 2016, 08:43:06 pm »

Because McCarthyism and concentration camps are obviously good ideas and we need more of them in our history.

Yes. We always need more. /s

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: November 14, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »

criminals fleeing HERE ironically
Frickin' hipster criminals, coming over here and deluging us with their artisanal small-batch meth and their thievery-as-performance-art. At least they're easy to spot; anyone who answers questioning with a roll of their eyes and a "pshyeah, sure I'm here legally" and then goes off to write bad poetry about the overlooked simplicity and purity of 16-hour days picking strawberries, well...
Hipster criminals are literally the worst, but I meant usually people labeled as a criminal overseas who flee here are trying to evade persecution at the hands of a given regime, rather than people running here and being like "ha ha, can't get me for murder now, I touched US soil and called base, not it!" or something.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:35 pm »

Frickin' hipster criminals, coming over here and deluging us with their artisanal small-batch meth and their thievery-as-performance-art. At least they're easy to spot; anyone who answers questioning with a roll of their eyes and a "pshyeah, sure I'm here legally" and then goes off to write bad poetry about the overlooked simplicity and purity of 16-hour days picking strawberries, well...
Hipster criminals are literally the worst, but I meant usually people labeled as a criminal overseas who flee here are trying to evade persecution at the hands of a given regime, rather than people running here and being like "ha ha, can't get me for murder now, I touched US soil and called base, not it!" or something.

They must have a very distorted view of the american penal system.... 

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:05 pm »

It's the little known 16-and-a-half-th Amendment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: November 14, 2016, 08:49:11 pm »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/chuck-schumer-stephen-bannon-231382

Hmm, could they impeach Trump for being a bigot? And yes, I know Pence is even worse a bigot in some ways than others. edit: Then again, that'd be the height of political kangarooity....

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:17 pm »

They must have a very distorted view of the american penal system....
Or they don't, and still prefer it to the old country.

I mean, at least here we let you share a blanket with someone during the night
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: November 14, 2016, 09:03:56 pm »

Heh, "let"... "share" funny stuff. Though, it would be hilarious if there were cases of people fleeing prosecution for actual crimes elsewhere and then showing up and trying to use the 16½th: Whosoever arrives upon American soil and declares "base" shall not be prosecuted for alleged actions elsewhere, unless a prior writ of "Olly-Olly-Oxen-Free" was submitted by the relevant prosecutors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12593 on: November 14, 2016, 09:17:08 pm »

To not tolerate the intolerant is of course a no-win trap.

Oh hey, it's that time again! Obligatory awesome post.

Basically, intolerance of intolerance is not okay. And you certainly can't claim to be "good because I'm tolerant" if you're only tolerant of people and ideologies that you like! As an ex-intolerance-intolerator, LET US DISCUSS THIS POSTHASTE.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:18:43 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12594 on: November 14, 2016, 09:28:53 pm »

Because Crashmaster does like Trump, just like Covenant and half the people who got banned. These discussions are blatantly coming from a patronizing stance of "I can't let these braindead lefties know I want to Make America Great Again, so I'll just JAQ' off while subtly praising Trump until they learn better".
Aren't the subtleties are out of politeness because MAGA tier posts would come across as obnoxious and aggressive, whilst at least subtle and patronizing is a better perception
you silly lefty you :3

Like I've never been on an internet politics thread before, come on.
This is our future
Meme warfare, like no one has ever seen before
We'll tell our neighbour's grandkids (dem birthrates) "I've seen such posts as you would never believe. Such posts, lost in time, so many - like finding a drop of water somewhere in the ocean. I didn't lose my limbs, but I killed my time." And upon our deaths they shall engrave our tombstones with our most noblest of shitpost excerpts. "he ayyyed as he lmao'd." "what the fuck did you fucking say about me bitch." "literally couldn't even in death."

People can't agree on what it means, but from where I'm standing "alt-right" is the far-right when deprived of religion. Instead, the focus is openly on traditionalism and nationalism instead of being coached in the idea of anything that might seem unsavory being sanctioned by Almighty God and thus correct.
Not even all on board with traditionalism, given loads of their support for LGBT
They want to stop Muslims from gaining influence in the USA for example, because then they would have to give up their hardcore sex
Truly the most noble of man's specimens

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: November 14, 2016, 09:30:23 pm »

Basically, intolerance of intolerance is not okay. And you certainly can't claim to be "good because I'm tolerant" if you're only tolerant of people and ideologies that you like! As an ex-intolerance-intolerator, LET US DISCUSS THIS POSTHASTE.

Yay, somebody besides myself gets it!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: November 14, 2016, 09:31:42 pm »

... Are you telling people to tolerate people being intolerant towards them?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: November 14, 2016, 09:34:18 pm »

And something to keep in mind for the kneejerk reaction to this I think a lot of people will have: accepting and tolerating are not the same. A Mormon who finds out their nephew is gay and still invites him to family dinners, but doesn't actively support them or want to attend their wedding, is tolerating, but not accepting. A Muslim who finds out their daughter has become Christian, and helps her set up a small shrine to Jesus the Prophet with a cross and etc. is accepting, not just tolerating. Don't accept intolerance. But you need to at least tolerate it.

Speaking of, acceptance is not a requirement for being a good person. It's certainly nice, but going from tolerance to acceptance is a heavy shift; you can always tolerate someone's viewpoint (not necessarily the actions of intolerance; viewpoints that are prejudiced are a different matter entirely from actions), even if it's unseemly or antithetical to your own; accepting it requires your own to change, however.

@LW: From what I've seen of the alt-right, they don't support LGBT whatsoever. Though I suppose when I think alt-right I think monarchists and shit, not just 'far-right pseudo-nazis'.

And for your daily announcement: Remember citizens! A lack of aggression, without a show of submission, is just a more devious hostile act. Seek out the enemy in all their forms, and destroy!

... Are you telling people to tolerate people being intolerant towards them?
No. Tolerate viewpoints you don't like. Don't tolerate people carrying out actions which are harmful to others or yourself.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: November 14, 2016, 09:34:45 pm »

Freedom of thought and expression is a two way street.

I as the saying goes, "I do not agree with a word you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

A belief is never wrong to have, only wrong to act on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: November 14, 2016, 09:36:35 pm »

The greatest form of tolerance is apathy! Let's tolerate racism! Let's tolerate misinformation! Let's tolerate death!
Nothing really matters, so let's tolerate everything! Yup, it's fine, intolerant people, go ahead, we don't mind at all!
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1249