Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389682 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12150 on: November 12, 2016, 03:01:33 pm »

That's weird. I took an IAT, and the results were...

Code: [Select]

Here are your results:

Your data suggest a slightly stronger automatic association of Republican with Donald Trump than with Hillary Clinton.

Your data suggest no automatic association of self with either Democrat or Republican.

Your data suggest much stronger automatic association of self with Hillary Clinton than with Donald Trump.

Your score is described as showing an 'automatic association of self with Hillary Clinton' if you were faster responding when 'Me' and 'Hillary Clinton' items were assigned to the same key than when 'Me' and 'Donald Trump' items were assigned to the same key. Your score is described as an 'automatic association of self with Donald Trump' if the opposite occured.

Your score is described as showing an 'automatic association of self with Democrat' if you were faster responding when 'Me' and 'Democrat' items were assigned to the same key than when 'Me' and 'Republican' items were assigned to the same key. Your score is described as an 'automatic identification with Republican' if the opposite occured.

Your score is described as showing an 'automatic association of Hillary Clinton with Democrat' if you were faster responding when 'Hillary Clinton' and 'Democrat' items were assigned to the same key than when 'Donald Trump' and 'Democrat' items were assigned to the same key. Your score is described as an 'automatic association of Hillary Clinton with Republican' if the opposite occured.

Your automatic association may be described as "slight", "moderate", "strong", or "no association". This indicates the strength of your automatic association.Your score was described as 'inconclusive' for any test in which your performance was too fast, too slow, or had too many errors for our program to compute interpretable results.

Somewhat odd. I associate Hillary with Democrat, Trump with Republican, yes, everything's in order. But according to the IAT, I associate myself with neither Democrats nor Republicans. Hmm.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12151 on: November 12, 2016, 03:05:42 pm »

IAT is the height of meaningless word association bullshit, literally one step removed from dream analysis.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12152 on: November 12, 2016, 03:14:08 pm »

Ah, so it's Freud 2.0.

(also confirmation bias may have played a part; if I feel "apart" from the parties then I get to feel all smug and superior)

(if I thought it was meaningless I wouldn't have posted it, right?)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: November 12, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »

You would need 60 million American signatures on that petition for it to actually start mean something.

And even if you do manage to get that, and by some weird chanced occurrence enough electorates betray their party and vote for her, i don't think you actually understand how bad that would be for the U.S.

Remember folks, you should only respect the results of an election when they're your preferred results. Subverting a system you'd been defending so long as it served your purpose is .

I've been saying that the process by which the president is elected is an utter pile of bullshit for a while now, and I'd still like it to be changed, but it's too late for this cycle. You made your bed, now lie in it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:47:41 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: November 12, 2016, 03:50:34 pm »

You would need 60 million American signatures on that petition for it to actually start mean something.

And even if you do manage to get that, and by some weird chanced occurrence enough electorates betray their party and vote for her, i don't think you actually understand how bad that would be for the U.S.
Remember folks, you should only respect the results of an election when they're your preferred results. Subverting a system you'd been defending so long as it served your purpose is [snip]

I've been saying that the process by which the president is elected is an utter pile of bullshit for a while now, and I'd still like it to be changed, but it's too late for this cycle. You made your bed, now lie in it.
Woah, what? Since when do Democrats like the Electoral College? They lost the 2000 election to it as well, y'know.

But yeah: as frustrating and horrifying as a Trump presidency is, it's still better than the collapse of democracy. Probably.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: November 12, 2016, 03:50:47 pm »

These issues are not Partisan UXLZ.

as frustrating and horrifying as a Trump presidency is, it's still better than the collapse of democracy

USA isn't a Democracy so too late :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12156 on: November 12, 2016, 03:52:28 pm »

Remember folks, you should only respect the results of an election when they're your preferred results they don't result in the election of a fascist demagogue.

FTFY

Also what Elephant Parade said. Also Donald Trump himself complained about the electoral college, called for a march on Washington, and a revolution, iirc. On twitter, in 2012, when he thought (incorrectly) that Obama had lost the popular vote to Romney. (He deleted the tweets recently)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:54:01 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12157 on: November 12, 2016, 03:53:49 pm »

Remember folks, you should only respect the results of an election when they're your preferred results. Subverting a system you'd been defending so long as it served your purpose is [snip]

Woah, what? Since when do Democrats like the Electoral College? They lost the 2000 election to it as well, y'know.

But yeah: as frustrating and horrifying as a Trump presidency is, it's still better than the collapse of democracy. Probably.

Well, considering that the majority of voters actually preferred Hillary, violating the letter of the law would preserve the spirit, in this case.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: November 12, 2016, 03:54:06 pm »

USA isn't a Democracy so too late :P
Stop talking bullshit you could learn better from in a high school civics class.
This question of "is America a democracy" is always flooded by dumb Fun Fact answers that do not have any real grasp of anything besides the desire to try and trip other people up.

Is America a democracy? Yes. A democracy is any government where the mass vote of the population is used, and it is used in America, as the selection of our representatives and sometimes for referendum. As such, it is 100% true to say that America is both a direct democracy and a representative democracy.

America is also a federal state, a republic, and a judiciary.

The real question about a nation is almost never about what it is, but how well its processes are carried out. Almost every nation on Earth features voting and legislative bodies. The actual degree of free elections and legal stability are what really changes.

A nation like Saudi Arabia is two or three major legal shifts from having the same damn government as the United Kingdom.
Foreigners, despite claims to the contrary, cannot vote in US elections.
Foreigners have a limited justification for complaint. As they do not live in America, do not experience American culture (as it truly is, not the international spread), and almost never have realistic conceptions of what the whole deal is the world would be a better place if they listened more and made uninformed judgments less. I also recognize this in turn, i.e. I am against Putin and United Russia's stranglehold as a whole, but will also listen to the perspectives of actual Russians instead of declaring their country and people the world's festering pit of darkness.

The people who really have it good are American minors, since they can justify complaining in all circumstances and to great detail but are unable to vote and so are never in the circumstance of complaining about something they should have participated in.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12159 on: November 12, 2016, 03:55:01 pm »

No, no, if folks want to continue trying to change you can take your lie in it and sod off. Live with it, maybe, but going supine because shit can't be fixed this very second is probably half the reason the bloody system's stayed as buggered as it has.

Some folks also seem to be forgetting that dems were grumbling about the EC and electoral reform all through obama's terms, and before as well. Most of the impetus towards subversion hasn't given two damns about whether it's benefiting them right this instance. They just want the system unscrewed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: November 12, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »

You had 8 years to change that shite system, you haven't. changing it now, like this, would be far more damaging to the U.S than the election of a "Fascist" demagogue president for 4 years.

Well, considering that the majority of voters actually preferred Hillary, violating the letter of the law would preserve the spirit, in this case.

As i said before, it is completely meaningless so long as the elections were held with the voters knowing it as meaningless, so no, it will not be preserving the spirit.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: November 12, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »

You had 8 years to change that shite system, you haven't.

How?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: November 12, 2016, 04:01:36 pm »

Not managing in eight years something that may take eighty doesn't mean you stop for four just because there's more incentive than usual for the pressure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: November 12, 2016, 04:04:42 pm »

Except there's a slight difference, "you" are trying to change the system AND enforce that change retroactively.
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1249