Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389799 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #11910 on: November 11, 2016, 06:53:46 pm »

Sprin, that doesn't always work. Namely, the minority. The hateful majority can stomp all over them. "Like-minded, helpful discrimination-stoppers" don't always exist. It's like saying that health care is unnecessary, since the family should help people out - well duh, but there isn't always a family.

And furthermore, how do you stop discrimination without legal stuff?

... well yeah. That's where the legislation comes in.

And again, not always particularly viable. Markets aren't an unlimited resource, nor businesses that will sell to them.

So you want the government to be powerful enough to punish dissidence for not conforming to your morality

My morality of "don't be a racist shit to other people," yes. There's this thing in the Constitution, it's "all men are created equal," remember it? Legally enforced equality of treatment and opportunity is good.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11911 on: November 11, 2016, 06:53:51 pm »

And again, not always particularly viable. Markets aren't an unlimited resource, nor businesses that will sell to them.

So you want the government to be powerful enough to punish dissidence for not conforming to your morality

I'd like the Gov't to be powerful enough to prevent discrimination based on things other than content of a person's character.

So... yes.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: November 11, 2016, 06:54:55 pm »

All men are created equal

So all men can be with who they want when they want

Would you like me to force say a jew to hire a nazi? Of course you wouldn't.

And say 80% of the population is bigoted, a law isnt going to be enforced there anyway.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: November 11, 2016, 06:55:15 pm »

To the whole thing: Alright, gimme some numbers.
Sure, send me the mindreading laser satellite and I'll get right on that.
So you have no idea. Could be five of them in a remote cabin in Alaska, could be everyone south of Jersey. But you're utterly convinced that they compose vast hordes causing massive damage to... something. "Us," I suppose.
There are no numbers, so it cannot be known. Suuuuuuure.
I'd like to get to the rest of both of your posts, but first- could you explain how you arrived at this response? Really thoroughly, step by step, with multiple pictures?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: November 11, 2016, 06:55:54 pm »

Morality is defined as "principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior."

EDIT: Lol, this came off as pretty stupid sounding, but ya, the point was BEHAVIOR, what you CHOOSE to do. Continue on, friends.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:05:49 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: November 11, 2016, 06:56:29 pm »

Morality is defined as "principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior."
Thats the definition Im using yes

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: November 11, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »

Safe spaces are bullshit, and let me tell you why. You shouldn't be able to discriminate against anyone on the grounds of sexuality or religion or what-have-you anywhere. I fuckin' see this behavior all the time, people want to hide behind terms and words to avoid confrontation and it's fucking bullshit, if someone discriminates against you go get the cops, beat the shit out of them, or fuck off. Looking down your nose at them and boldly declaring that "this is a safe space" does nothing but aggravate one party and give the other party a trump card (no pun intended, but gladly welcomed) to abuse freely instead of standing up for themselves with logical argument and human integrity.

It's NOT unreasonable to want to have a place you can be yourself. That's a lot of what makes America great already: those places exist. What bothers me is telling me I can't criticize someone just because they're part of certain groups.

So, someone doesnt want to associate with someone and the proper response is "get a cop to beat the shit out of them."

Love and tollerance amiright

Where the hell did you get 'doesn't want to associate with someone'?

If someone doesn't want to associate with you, they don't get to have the pleasure of your company.
If someone refuses to hire you on a basis unrelated to your ability to fulfill the job requirements, due to pre-existing prejudice, that's fucked up. Yeah, it hurts them, a little. Having an employee who's slightly worse at their job is not as big of an impact as not having a job, in a capitalist society, especially if you're poor in the first place.
If someone starts using slurs, you tell them to fuck off if you think you're able to, or get someone bigger to tell them for you if you're worried they might try hurting you if you do it yourself.
And finally, those were three different statements, not combined. "Go get the cops", as in, report them. "Beat the shit out of them", as in, confront them. "Fuck off", as in, ignore them and (probably) leave.

Rather than doing the exact same thing you are angry and frustrated with your 'idealized' opponents(we all have 'idealized' versions of 'the opposition' or 'the enemy' or what-have-you to use as models for how they would respond) for, take a second and try to steelman, instead of strongman. Benefit of the doubt is a wonderful thing for fostering cooperation and trust.

Thats trying to legislate morality. If you don't like someone you don't need to be anywere near them. If some buissness owner doesnt want to hire a black guy don't shop there, you don't want to hire a racist don't hire a racist.

Seriouslly this isn't hard.
So, a. we do legislate morality, when normal moral practices fail. That's why things like, oh, killing people, or theft, or death threats, are all punishable by law. As well as stalking, vandalism, and fraud. Fraud in particular seems like an excellent case to compare. If someone cheats people, just don't do business with them. Why even bother prosecuting fraud? It'll be taken care of naturally, after all, since no one will trust them anymore.

That's before getting into cases where it's widespread, which in more than a few parts of the country, racism is. It's present a little bit, just about everywhere, that's the human condition and to some extent the cultural one, but when you can't get a job because most of the business owners don't want to hire a black guy? And you can say 'well then get a job with the rest'. But finding a job can be hard enough in a lot of those parts of the country, since they tend to be the parts that aren't well-off economically speaking. 40% of your options going out the window? Well, first off, by game theory and economic principles, that puts you in a worse bargaining position, and second off, in practical terms, that makes it much more difficult to find a job. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just hard work that determines whether you have a job.

And that's before we get into the whole 'imperfect information' factor of economics, where we don't always know if the person we're hiring is sexist/racist and will harass/belittle other employees at work! We don't know if the shop owner doesn't have any black employees because that's just how it worked out due to random chance or because they didn't want to risk having something stolen, and they think the best way to do that is not to hire any of those colored folks.

Trust is a two-way street, dammit, and cooperation beats defection in the long run.

Finally: You can hurt someone in far more ways than physical, but just because there aren't bruises doesn't mean it's okay, or should be okay.

I want the government to be powerful enough to defend me from people whose morality makes me an evil person who deserves whatever they get.

There is a slight modicum of difference in how much control you can exert over those two things. Judaism is a faith, but it's also treated as an ethnicity. Nazi-ism is something you can choose not to be. Being born female, being born black, being trans, being born/becoming gay? These are not things you can control. That last two there's scientific evidence for how it happens, even (partially genetic, but largely biological processes to do with hormones during gestation).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: November 11, 2016, 07:01:33 pm »

Thats the definition Im using yes

Well then if the Nazi was fine working for the Jew, whatever. If he didn't discriminate against him before or while working for him, doesn't seem like there'd be a problem. It would be uncomfortable, yes, but he could still be fired on the grounds he was a shit worker. If he was a good worker... than there's no problem. He puts cash in the Jew's pocket even if he exercises his freedom of speech about his supposed superiority, what more ironic contract could there be?

EDIT: Also Rolepgeek brings up a better point than mine.

EDIT: Also cheers for being adults in our argumentation thus far.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:03:46 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11918 on: November 11, 2016, 07:07:02 pm »

And say 80% of the population is bigoted, a law isnt going to be enforced there anyway.

You've set up a false equivalency to make your point.

Mexicans and blacks as a whole aren't members of a political party whose platform included exterminating people. The Jew has an active reason to not want to hire or work with a self-proclaimed Nazi.

As opposed to, say, "I don't hire black people and Mexicans because they're trying to destroy my white heritage." At which point the rest of the civilized world rolls its eyes. The definition of racism is ascribing a set of beliefs to an entire race of people. Which is not what you're describing in your example.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:08:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: November 11, 2016, 07:07:14 pm »

Im not sure you understood the point

The jew shouldn't be /forced/ to hire the nazi if the Jew /wants/ to because it mutually benefits them then sure but the use of /force/ should not be used for the two of them to associate with eachother.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: November 11, 2016, 07:09:00 pm »

If a mexican want to refuse service to white people or refuse to hire white people he can

Plus why would you /want/ to work for a racist that was /forced/ to hire you.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: November 11, 2016, 07:10:55 pm »

Or say an asain resteraunt owner wants to hire asains for his asain themed resteraunt

Should he be forced to hire other races because hes "discriminating"

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: November 11, 2016, 07:14:24 pm »

If a mexican want to refuse service to white people or refuse to hire white people he can
I... strongly suspect this is not the case?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: November 11, 2016, 07:15:16 pm »

Or say an asain resteraunt owner wants to hire asains for his asain themed resteraunt

Should he be forced to hire other races because hes "discriminating"

Only if they're better qualified. Showsmanship shouldn't be protected, lol. Though I appreciate what you're saying, how is that reality any worse than one where other races can't work there because they're that race? It's not like I go to sushi restaurants to see Japanese people.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: November 11, 2016, 07:16:07 pm »

It's called editting your post, btw.

The jew shouldn't be /forced/ to hire the nazi if the Jew /wants/ to because it mutually benefits them then sure but the use of /force/ should not be used for the two of them to associate with eachother.

If a member of a Nazi party is a complete gentlemen to his Jewish employer, then by the law (which I guess you mean FORCE) it's discrimination not to hire him.

"I'm totally ok with everyone else being discriminatory because it fits my world view." Why would any of us want that? The right to refuse service is still enshrined in America and frankly I'm ok with that. However....

Plus why would you /want/ to work for a racist that was /forced/ to hire you.

Because a job is a job and people gotta fucking eat, that's why. Taken as a national trend "being ok with not "associating with certain people" impoverishes specific groups of people when it comes to employment, benefits and rights. This is why we have anti-discrimination laws and have since before you were born.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1249