Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389929 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #11505 on: November 10, 2016, 10:01:17 pm »

I know that trump has racist tendancies, but that doesn't at all mean that his voters are. I know not all media outlets are like that, but some spin the story as if Hillary being a woman was the only reason why she was rejected.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: November 10, 2016, 10:03:44 pm »

I know that trump has racist tendancies, but that doesn't at all mean that his voters are

I have to admit this is a LOT like the exact same situation as the Civil War isn't it?

Only now instead of people going "Nope it was entirely about Slavery" we are having people go "No it wasn't about bigotry, sexism, and homophobia" in spite supporting the person.

It is almost like nuance hits people over the head :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: November 10, 2016, 10:03:54 pm »

There are only really two possible worlds.

A. Trump is ruthless enough to outright dispense with coded language and court the bigot vote directly.

B. Trump actually believes the shit he says.

Neither of these are good things.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: November 10, 2016, 10:07:12 pm »

I know that trump has racist tendancies, but that doesn't at all mean that his voters are. I know not all media outlets are like that, but some spin the story as if Hillary being a woman was the only reason why she was rejected.

Dat wall, though. That was like, what, a day 1 promise? He was also endorsed by David Duke...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:23 pm »

really?

are they being paid to protest?  that seems pretty seasonal, do they work through a temp agency?

are there any qualifications to being a professional protester, or do they hire off the street?
Might have meant people who do so routinely and little else, ie jobless hippies.

From what I've seen on the news, they think the only people who voted for Trump were racists/homophobic/mysogenic/etc.

I know that the media isn't exactly the best at getting good data (polls,  :P), but what do the more liberally-inclined forumites here think about that?
PPE: from what you said yesterday, it probably has a lot to do with party politics. People seemed to ignore what he was saying, which was quite awful, and vote for him because he was Republican/not Democrat.

But then again, given his platform of "Mexicans are all rapist drug dealing murders, Muslims are all potential terrorist, ladies shouldn't have a right to their body once they become pregnant and also can't do their job when their on their period." Some... less than open minded folk will have voted for him because he was legitimizing what they believe.

Sort of edit: fuckin' phone and autocorrect and grammar.
There are only really two possible worlds.

A. Trump is ruthless enough to outright dispense with coded language and court the bigot vote directly.

B. Trump actually believes the shit he says.

Neither of these are good things.
Speak of the Devil. Slightly more than half the country* is a pretty large swathe of people to call blindly GOP partisan and/or vehemently racist.

*That actually voted, but assuming those aren't the same thing requires at least acceptance of the alternative or other weird assumptions.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:56 pm »

Wait I didn't catch onto that... Racist tendencies?

Look... I know that we throw around the term "Racist" very lightly... but I honestly don't know how much more Trump has to do to hit that definition.

I mean I guess I never seen him directly harm a Mexican with his fists.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: November 10, 2016, 10:12:02 pm »

From what I've seen on the news, they think the only people who voted for Trump were racists/homophobic/mysogenic/etc.

I know that the media isn't exactly the best at getting good data (polls,  :P), but what do the more liberally-inclined forumites here think about that?

I think people who voted Trump have a lot of motivations. "Being sick of it all" being somewhere near the top. I think a lot of them may get more than they bargained for (like taking racial tensions in America up to 13.) And on the other hand, they may get a lot less than they bargained for, because there is a large gulf between 'yuge' and being an effective president. And for me personally, when people say that the questionable and outright problematic things about Trump are outweighed by [Hilary][The state of government][Obama]...it kind of makes me go "really?"

I know the same comes from the other side when they're like "but Hilary", but to me they're not even on the same playing field. Hilary's supposed crimes, misdeeds, etc...are typical government scandal. Trump's problems are much more personal, idiosyncratic to who he is and fuck man, just sometimes downright embarrassing and/or disgusting. Even the 80s people thought Trump was sleazy. It makes me question how people I know and who on another day I could call pretty average conservative voters, just go completely off their normal political leanings and start saying "well it'd be better than Hilary." Like somehow they're not seeing the same things a lot of other people are, that on any other day I thought would be a deal breaker.

Then again, the retort comes from the other side that many people considered Hilary politically sleazy from way back when. And round and round we go. All I know is this. "The great unknown doom of America" that both sides fear and feared totally set aside....when I picture Hilary speaking for the nation to the rest of the world, I don't cringe at the thought of what she might say or how she might say it. She's a politician, and a diplomat. I haven't been able to watch Trump since the 90s because the way he believes you interact with people is cringe worthy to me. He's a goddamn pitchman and salesmen. And I feel like people bought into the pitch despite the dude's absolutely questionable track record in the thing he's a self-proclaimed ninja of. And it doesn't compute. My brain says "no, that's just not a risk you take." Clearly about half of America either disagrees and thought it's a smart bet...or they just are as repulsed by Hilary as I am by Trump. And logically, empirically, I don't understand that either. Clinton may be objectionable in abstract ways I'm not sure anyone really understands short of saying she's cold and calculating and power hungry. It's all a gut feeling and repeated Republican attempts to bring her down over the years. But Trump is so much more tangibly objectionable and problematic.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:08:36 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: November 10, 2016, 10:15:27 pm »

IO, which devil were you speaking of? Because I swear to the gods if what you quoted actually referred to that half the population thing like that, the voodoo curse and grumbling about hallucinations are about to be a hell of a lot less of a joke, because that would mean there's something in your post I literally cannot goddamn see.
Openly using racial slurs publicly? That's really about it at this point.
No, no, there's still the ghost costume and burning religious iconography. Or actually putting some of his more out there campaign... statements, I guess, since promise doesn't really work with him... in practice. That's still at least a few months off if it's coming, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: November 10, 2016, 10:19:14 pm »

And of course, there's the massive uptick in hate crimes emboldened and okay'd by Trump's rhetoric.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: November 10, 2016, 10:20:00 pm »

I'd rather be hurt by the truth then protected by a lie.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: November 10, 2016, 10:20:19 pm »

I wonder if I'd be surprised if it was revealed that Trump was a KKK member... hmmm

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:24 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if he blamed the uptick in hate crimes on Democrat/mainstreammedia propoganda. If he ever acknowledges it in any way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: November 10, 2016, 10:23:35 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if he blamed the uptick on hate crimes as Democrat/mainstreammedia propoganda.

Assuming he is not completely morally bankrupt... He won't if only so he can help the US transition and not put Democrats against Republicans to sooth his ego.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: November 10, 2016, 10:24:02 pm »

I'd rather be hurt by the truth then protected by a lie.

This implies there's some truth we're missing, or some lie we're blinded by.

Please, enlighten us.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: November 10, 2016, 10:25:36 pm »

And of course, there's the massive uptick in hate crimes emboldened and okay'd by Trump's rhetoric.

Like what?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1249