Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391026 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11355 on: November 10, 2016, 01:24:23 pm »

How did I imply Clinton was racist? The fact that you read that into my statement is itself worrying.

Basically, I said the Dems fucked up and lost the black vote. You immediately straw-man that with "Don't imply Clinton is racist".

Which is the exact behavior where you caricature a view so you don't actually have to look any deeper.

Oh, calm down. I said "racist, patronizing, etc." Basically my stand-in word for "did something that caused them to lose the election." I'm not strawmanning, just unclear.

So I am saying that the Dems did not necessarily fuck up, that they didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but that rather they were seen as having done something wrong.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:58 pm »

they were actively hostile to sanders in the primaries, paid people to start race riots at his rallies, and pretended to be impartial, while pouring resources on clinton.

did nothing wrong?  good grief.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/22/wikileaks-dumps-dnc-emails/

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: November 10, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »

Dozebom I am trying to grapple with something I don't know how to describe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: November 10, 2016, 01:31:54 pm »

Speaking of shifting the blame, some people (well, at least one person anyway) are trying to blame the third party vote for the loss..

Which, I really don't agree with. For one, blaming it on third parties completely ignores everything else that went wrong. The third party vote is merely a symptom and a warning sign, had the Democrats or Clinton done things differently, then the Republicans would be the ones complaining about the third party vote.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: November 10, 2016, 01:32:57 pm »

aying that the Dems did not necessarily fuck up, that they didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but that rather they were seen as having done something wrong.

But you are doing the apologetics thing explicitly now, when I merely suspected you before of doing it implicitly.

So yeah, what I said was on the money: straw-manning my concerns as "You're saying Clinton was racist" was in fact an apologetics statement to absolve Dems of all mistakes through a silly straw-man. So it's not Dems fault for screwing up, it's everyone else's fault for not realizing how perfect and pure they were.

Umm, election campaign here, it's your entire job to make people see you as a good choice. If you come across as a bad choice, that's the fault of your campaign. It's not logical to say they ran a perfect campaign, but people saw them differently. You didn't run a good campaign by definition then.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:36:35 pm by Reelya »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11360 on: November 10, 2016, 01:35:41 pm »

aying that the Dems did not necessarily fuck up, that they didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but that rather they were seen as having done something wrong.

But you are doing the apologetics thing explicitly now, when I merely suspected you before of doing it implicitly.

So yeah, what I said was on the money: straw-manning my concerns as "You're saying Clinton was racist" was in fact an apologetics statement to absolve Dems of all mistakes through a silly straw-man. So it's not Dems fault for screwing up, it's everyone else's fault for not realizing how perfect and pure they were.

How unclear have I been?

I fucking hate the DNC for their kangaroo election. It was a mockery of democracy, and it cost us the general election. But in the specific case of how they are seen on the topic of minorities, I don't think they did much wrong. I think that this specific PR issue was caused by the media, not the actions of the Dems themselves.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11361 on: November 10, 2016, 01:38:05 pm »

I too dislike them for forcing Clinton in as the inevitable nominee, thus denying any rising stars to give it a shot or show the American public what the Democratic party has to offer.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: November 10, 2016, 01:39:12 pm »

Well there's media perception of Dems + minorities, that's one issue.

And there's the fact they lost real actual support from minorities, that' sort of separate to the media perception issue.

You can't just blame the media if your core constituents aren't turning up to vote. They did in fact fail to do what campaigns are supposed to do in that case. They probably took it for granted that minorities would flood to the polls to oppose Trump, and so they didn't do as much outreach as they should have.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:41:27 pm by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: November 10, 2016, 01:39:29 pm »

I too dislike them for forcing Clinton in as the inevitable nominee, thus denying any rising stars to give it a shot or show the American public what the Democratic party has to offer.
Aye.

I still think Bernie would have won.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: November 10, 2016, 01:40:23 pm »

so, referring to latin american outreach as "the taco bowl" is A OK behavior?

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5073

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11365 on: November 10, 2016, 01:41:43 pm »

I feel like I'm being forced into a stereotypical Clinton-supporter position. It's kind of ironic to claim that you're being strawmanned, Reelya...

Well there's media perception of Dems + minorities, that's one issue.

And there's the fact they lose real actual support from minorities, that' sort of separate to the media perception issue.

You can't just blame the media if your core constituents aren't turning up to vote. They did in fact fail to do what campaigns are supposed to do in that case.

...why can't we? If there is no clear reason for "core constituents leaving" except "the media," then that's probably it. Did the Dems do not-perfectly? Sure. Are they at fault? no.

As for the "two separate facts" part: what the hell? The real actual loss of support is a direct result of bad PR, and that is a direct result of the fucking media.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11366 on: November 10, 2016, 01:43:16 pm »

I think that was in reference to Trump's tweet with a taco bowl from his restaruant. I forget when exactly that tweet of his was though.

edit: Yep, the tweet was the day before that email in wikileaks, so, it's in direct reference to the tweet.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:45:24 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: November 10, 2016, 01:44:25 pm »

@doze
because that is entitled as fuck thinking?

when the party expecting those votes does not represent those voters interests, and documentation proving that comes tto light, you blame the messenger?!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:48:13 pm by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11368 on: November 10, 2016, 01:46:32 pm »

because that is entitled as fuck thinking?

when the party expecting those votes does not represent those voters interests, and documentation proving that comes tto light, you blame the messenger?!

Not sure if that was towards me or Doze. Probably Doze.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: November 10, 2016, 01:47:38 pm »

I think that was in reference to Trump's tweet with a taco bowl from his restaruant. I forget when exactly that tweet of his was though.

edit: Yep, the tweet was the day before that email in wikileaks, so, it's in direct reference to the tweet.

snopes confirms, but still damns dnc for electioneering.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/25/what-we-know-so-far-about-wikileaks-dncleaks/
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1249