Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391497 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11310 on: November 10, 2016, 11:19:38 am »

Wait wat
Both sides are burning flags, the metro only shows Hillary's voters beating up innocent people in mobs
Further down the article was a very bloodied victim of Trumpites.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11311 on: November 10, 2016, 11:20:36 am »

Not the NBPC again. Look, their claims that they used to support Trump were lies, damn lies, and strangely devoid of actual statistics.

Besides, there might be a bit of bias there. What point are you even trying to make?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11312 on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:54 am »

Wait wat
Both sides are burning flags, the metro only shows Hillary's voters beating up innocent people in mobs
Further down the article was a very bloodied victim of Trumpites.
Allegedly, I don't have police confirmation on that, whereas for the one where Hillary's voters are beating up an innocent man, they're so proud of it they filmed and put it online for support

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: November 10, 2016, 11:23:48 am »

Not the NBPC again. Look, their claims that they used to support Trump were lies, damn lies, and strangely devoid of actual statistics.

Besides, there might be a bit of bias there. What point are you even trying to make?

NBPC?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11314 on: November 10, 2016, 11:24:44 am »

Something border patrol council?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:07 am »

... the instant credibility she gains from being a young, female, minority

Reading this makes me wonder if the DNC will learn anything at all from this latest election cycle. I'm already starting to doubt it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016#Voter_demographics

Clinton barely did better than Trump with women, she did better with the non-white demographic, but they didn't really show up at all, she barely got over half of the under 40 crowd.

Look at 2008 vs 2016, of 69.9 mil and 59.9 mil, respectively:
---------- white - black - asian - other - hispanic
Obama  43(74) 95(13) 62(2) - 66(2) - 67(9)
Clinton   37(70) 88(12) 64(4) - 56(3) - 65(11)

Age (18~24/etc)
Obama 66/66/54/49/50/45
Clinton 56/53/51/46/44/45

Gender (m/f)
Obama 49/56
Clinton 41/54 <--- wut

Where exactly does it seem like someone who can tick as many boxes as Gabbard does would do worse than Clinton? Also, I haven't seen the DNC seriously talk about putting her forward or whatnot, I just saw someone mention her and checked to see who they were talking about after someone mentioned the DNC needing some rising stars, and holy shit she ate them all to gain their power I guess?
Why not Elizabeth Warren 2020?

But let's be real here, DNC will force in Hillary again.
Warren looks bland next to Gabbard, honestly, and there is no way Hillary has another run in her after this. If Hillary Part 3, Warren, and ReBerninating are the best they could offer in 4 years they're handing Trump an easy reelection.

You find me someone more exciting than Gabbard, who could compete with the instant credibility she gains from being a young, female, minority, who at 21 was the youngest hawaiian legislator ever elected, and 2 years later when her brothers and sisters were called to Iraq she chose to join them rather than remain stateside. She's got cred as an activist working to preserve the environment of the islands, experience working in a small business with her parents and a degree in international business, worked on the city council in Honolulu, before becoming the first American Hindu and one of two female combat vets in the House, which she was mentored in by the badass I was crushing on above, Inouye.

Don't forget she can identify with everyone who felt cheated by the DNC manipulating things to keep Bernie out because she was ALSO pushed out for supporting him, and if by some strange convergence of events he had wound up winning as a write-in candidate from California, she would have been his VP.

Tulsi fucking rocks in every way that Hillary didn't, and could pull off the same sort of inspirational movement that Obama did, and Bernie started to before it was shut down for Hilldog, there is no way Warren could compete against that.
Warren is all about the economy, tho, which is the key to win the center. Most of Gabbard's advantages are more appealing to the left, though the military record is sure to win some points on the right. Still, I think center and center right voters care more about focus on economy than about military record.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsi_Gabbard#Economics I don't see anything there which precludes her picking up advice and such about more centrist stances to draw those voters in, but she could legitimately inherit Sanders hype on top of that she builds herself by rocking.

Where do we get more like this to throw votes at?
Could we get a Samoan Grudge Match if she ran for the Dems and The Rock ran for the Pubs?
Oh god what have I done?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: November 10, 2016, 11:29:31 am »

I fully approve of The Rock's political carreer.

As long as the hulk runs as well.

And the Undertaker acts as moderator during the debates.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: November 10, 2016, 11:34:48 am »

You maniac, you've doomed us all...

Though I did totally wind up on a wikiwalk when the idea popped in my head and I saw Rock is (R) and ended up looking through a bunch of the old early 80's wrestling pages, remembering shit like the Wrestlemania arcade game in the gas station my grandmother ran.

"What are ya gonna do, brotherrrrr, when the state of Michigan drops it's 16 electoral votes on you!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: November 10, 2016, 11:34:54 am »

I have to wonder if the Rock will still want to associate with the GOP when all's said and done. By all appearances he is a very kind and humble human being, and I think by this point the lack of contradicting stories is beginning to stick out. In other words, very much not like Trump.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: November 10, 2016, 11:36:56 am »

Tulsi Gabbard/Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson 2020, you heard it here first folks.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: November 10, 2016, 11:37:17 am »

The second overtime signal is a chokeslam through the podium lectern.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: November 10, 2016, 11:41:41 am »

Bernie Sanders is endorsing Keith Ellison for DNC chair.

Keith Ellison. Seems like an allright guy, though may be a bit controversial.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: November 10, 2016, 11:44:13 am »

Something border patrol council?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Border_Patrol_Council

Says there (on a surprisingly sparse page, devoid of detail) that they endorsed him.

But as I recall, Trump was always going on about how ICE had endorsed him (and always "just last week", strangely, even after months had passed) and that was regularly brought up as one of his many crowd-pleasing lies.  (Excusable, perhaps, to have misinterpreted "Hi, I'm the NBPC/NICEC reprezentative - you know, we have ICE employees as our members - and we as a union endorse you" as "ICE endorses you", but it seems that once Donald got something into his head even the passage of time didn't seem to matter...)

OTOH,  Trump Endorsed Ice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: November 10, 2016, 11:50:58 am »

There's nothing wrong with identity politics in general, and they're a key element of the party. The problem is when the rhetoric of identity politics becomes exclusionary and hostile, the "not" instead of "and". You just have to keep that "and" alive, so that the struggles of various groups aren't played against each other. This is a constant danger, and has been basically for the entirety of the universal vote.

It's sort of a logic trap combined with selfishness. People want to focus on the one aspect that's most important to them, and as a result begin to see contrary aspects as hostile instead of part of a consistent ethic. I don't think, for example, that most people focused on women's rights think that men should be actively denied help if they're abused by women or unfairly slighted by the legal system.  Rather, the pervasive darkside influence of the Zero-Sum Game causes them to believe that if they harass and shut down a men's shelter or legal group they will strengthen the female counterparts, when in fact they are actually also weakening the female counterparts both because people lose all respect for the movement out of its blatantly self-serving actions and more critically because it takes a chip out of the universal humanist ethic that should be behind all such movements. The temptation to make the narrative "men don't need help because society, only women need help so help women only" is not a stable existence and functionally turns into "fuck everybody, tear yourselves into bloody pieces, boot stomping on a human face forever".

It's almost literally Greek fucking tragedy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:53:39 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: November 10, 2016, 11:54:48 am »

And if they say, to pick a relevant example, that they want you to crack down on illegal immigration? That they want to build a wall on the southern border?
How is building a wall a concern? It's a possible response to one, sure, but not more than that. Though I guess that's in relation to the whole immigration thing, in which case note previous comments about reality. I've noted how the response to that goes -- by and large we're not going to say something that won't actually do what they want it to do, is going to do what they want it to do. We apparently make the mistake of not lying to people.

And we already hammer undocumented immigration, for all we're not going to go full gestapo on it (because, again, no, we're not going to screw over fellow americans for this, and don't need to). It's not ignored, obama's not somehow ended deportation efforts and the dems have no intention of changing that, and for all there's been talks of amnesty and whatnot to get some shit sorted out and under control -- which would be something that would actually improve the situation, mind -- open borders and all that crap are just outright lies. We've been working on undocumented immigration. It was blatant that dems intended to continue doing so. We didn't lie to the people about the realities of what that entailed or how we were going to go about it, but it was happening. But apparently that's not addressing concerns. Neither was integration efforts, work to make the immigration system sane and functional, everything that would work towards addressing the problems involved with that sort of immigration or what was causing the concern in the first place.

But hell, yes, there's going to be some concerns that don't get a very satisfactory response, and substantially more proposed solutions that are rejected, either because a satisfactory response just doesn't exist or are the response, satisfactory or not, is so against the party's spirit that they're just not really an option. Which is why there's not a single effort, monofocused on one method, and why the democratic platform isn't actually single issue, but trying to address a whole hell of a lot of things.

Donald Trump gave some people hope, for the first time in a long time, that their concerns would be not only heard but acted upon. Whether he'll live up to it or not is something we'll have to wait and see.
Trump lied to people, repeatedly. Told them that their concerns could be fixed with shit that can't fix it. That was the hope you're talking about. Yeah, it worked, apparently, and better than the pile of stuff that's actually been acting on their concerns. But the answer you're giving me is that we need to lie to the people, give them false hope, and take power with empty, impossible, or ineffective, promises. It's what the people want, it seems. Only answer these disaffected, apparently ignored, folks, are going to accept.

... really, I guess what I have to ask is what you see as addressing their concerns. Are you actually talking about talking to them, working out a way to do something about their problems and not screw other things over, or what? Because that's what is being done. I know the media says sod all about it and the populations being referred to barely notice it, but it's what's happening. That's what leads to all the bloody local initiatives that have been crawling across this country for the last long while. It's what leads to trying to attack the problems that are causing folks grief from multiple directions to see what sticks. It's what has been causing the left in this country to actually do shit instead of say they will and then kneecap efforts to the moment someone turns their back.

S'just. Maybe you can answer the question, since you seem to be implying you're closer to understanding these folks and if anyone else actually tried to so far I missed it. If literal decades of effort to address someone's concerns, effort that has actually seen results, if not magical ones, is not seen as addressing someone's concerns, what the hell are you supposed to do? Is their anything besides what Trump has shown us works, which is throw impossibilities and lies at them until something sticks?

Max: The lesson I was referring to learning was that perhaps they should focus on a candidate's policies, experience and character rather than trotting out the same tired 'Look! It's a woman/black/hispanic! Super progressive!' talking points. Identity politics are cancerous, and if the first thing to be said about your new prospective candidate is about her gender and race then it already feels like nothing that matters will really change.
Though seriously, this just keeps driving me up the wall. Do you really think that clinton didn't focus on experience, policies, and character? Because vast swaths of what she said this campaign was that. Huge amounts of what actually came out of the DNC, was that. And massive amounts of what was aimed at trump, was that. As massively screwed up as it is for it to be true, this POTUS campaign was more focused on policy, experience, and character, than just about any in recent history. Now, the media? Yeah, that wasn't what the media did fuck the forth estate, seriously. But the lesson you're saying needs to be learned is the lesson that was being read from this entire campaign.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 1249