Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393396 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10920 on: November 09, 2016, 02:07:36 pm »

funny how nature elections do dat

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: November 09, 2016, 02:08:50 pm »

Negligence implies responsibility.  Technically a president could do nothing ever and still be doing his job.  He has many powers and few obligations.

See: how our congress has been acting for the past 8 years.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: November 09, 2016, 02:09:57 pm »

going overseas, and handing nuke codes to NK would be a pretty good example.
Oh that reminds me I still need to organize a mass protest and demand US nukes are removed from our soil. Can't have those on our lands with a dangerous troll like Trump at the codes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: November 09, 2016, 02:10:06 pm »

Actually, you'd be surprised at the bill output. Some of the major ones have been hit with the veto bat, but Congress has been fairly active.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: November 09, 2016, 02:11:00 pm »

the executive is charged with he safety of the nation, among others.  so, acting in away that emperils that safety is negligence.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10925 on: November 09, 2016, 02:11:39 pm »

This isn't about religious marriage. This is about being able to marry before the state. The state which is expicitly supposed to be secular.
Wait, what? Are they seriously - civil marriage is not even a marriage per se, that's basically an agreement between two people to share shit. They don't even require you to fuck (and Catholic Church does!), it's pure bussines. :v

The US government is not supposed to play favorites.
I am afraid I cannot take this statement seriously. This never happened, not a single time.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: November 09, 2016, 02:12:55 pm »

Actually, you'd be surprised at the bill output. Some of the major ones have been hit with the veto bat, but Congress has been fairly active.
In numbers maybe, but compared to historical congresses no.  Its been less active.  And declining.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:04 pm »

the executive is charged with he safety of the nation, among others.  so, acting in away that emperils that safety is negligence.
Exactly.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:53 pm »

I can see it now: "OBAMA HAS BEEN DECREASING OUR INFLUENCE AND DEFENSE ABROAD AND HAS BEEN IMPERILING OUR SAFETY LET'S SUE HIM"
ain't just trump ths would apply to if you could just sue s president for negligence like that

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: November 09, 2016, 02:16:07 pm »

In numbers maybe, but compared to historical congresses no.  Its been less active.  And declining.

This congress will likely be the same. The Republican majority in the Senate is extremely slim, and the Obama years have shown us that while the minority party can't really press their agenda, they can still gum up the works so the majority can't get their agenda through either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: November 09, 2016, 02:16:51 pm »

you have to prove a threat is real.

overspending on military is harmful to the nation. see former ussr.

budget cuts to military expenditure does not 1:1 equare with reduction of security, or safety of the nation. it can actually improve it instead.

aiding or abetting actors hostile to the country though? that has a real threat baked right in.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:15 pm »

you have to prove a threat is real.

overspending on military is harmful to the nation. see former ussr.

budget cuts to military expenditure does not 1:1 equare with reduction of security, or safety of the nation. it can actually improve it instead.

aiding or abetting actors hostile to the country though? that has a real threat baked right in.
I get what you mean (and I think that just gets to be treason anyway) but opening up suing presidents because of not liking their performance is opening up a real real can of worms.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: November 09, 2016, 02:23:09 pm »

Not that Trump, in pursuit of his other policies, would interfere with legal immigration to achieve his goals- that's actually rather likely. It's just not a directly stated policy.
Actually, isn't the USCIS a federal organization? Trump made an explicit promise to freeze federal hiring for everything except military, public safety (which I don't think immigration counts as), and public health. Not sure how it'd work out considering the self-funding thing, but...

E: Hrm. Actually, checked, but it's under the DHS. It might count as public safety, I'unno. Ah ha, checked further. Nah, it's safe. DHS child agency, which means it's under the public safety umbrella. Probably. Unless the GOP somehow manage to reclassify it in the next few years.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:28:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: November 09, 2016, 02:26:32 pm »

If Trump wants to do what he says, and deport 11 million immigrants, he will have to deport over 7500 people per day, if he wants to get it done before his term is up.
For that amount of people to be processed, you'd need a lot of trains, camps and even more staff. Ask the Germans, they have experience with setting up the logistics, because you can't be doing it like with the native americans. That took you 3 centuries to get rid of 20+ million of them.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:30:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: November 09, 2016, 02:28:11 pm »

He will bake the numbers by "catching" people trying to enter. (You cant contest such a number easily, and an inflated illegal immigration rate would only 'prove' his point.)
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 1249